Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

8 vs 9 body differences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2008, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 vs 9 body differences

Hello all i tried searching but i didn't really find a definitive answer to what i was looking for. I'm going to buy an evo but i wasn't sure about an 8 or 9, but im leaning toward the 9 as everyone says they are better and the look is growing on me haha.

If for some unknown reason to god though i wanted to make it look like an 8 what exactly are the differences in the body's from 8 to 9? I know the front bumper and grill are different, and i believe the rear one is too. But. The front and rear fenders on the 8 seem to be wider than the 9's or is that just me? Can the bumpers from 8's go directly onto the 9's or is there some modification I'd have to do? Are the side skirts the same on both years too? Also is there anything i may have not brought up that is different on the exterior from 8 to 9?

Thanks a lot guys, and sorry if i missed a post when i was searching and some of these things were answered.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mach Eight
Hello all i tried searching but i didn't really find a definitive answer to what i was looking for. I'm going to buy an evo but i wasn't sure about an 8 or 9, but im leaning toward the 9 as everyone says they are better and the look is growing on me haha.

If for some unknown reason to god though i wanted to make it look like an 8 what exactly are the differences in the body's from 8 to 9? I know the front bumper and grill are different, and i believe the rear one is too. But. The front and rear fenders on the 8 seem to be wider than the 9's or is that just me? Can the bumpers from 8's go directly onto the 9's or is there some modification I'd have to do? Are the side skirts the same on both years too? Also is there anything i may have not brought up that is different on the exterior from 8 to 9?

Thanks a lot guys, and sorry if i missed a post when i was searching and some of these things were answered.
exterior wise only the front bumper is different and the darker housing headlights , the rear is the same , the tail lights are diff, and the wing only the middle top is cf as oppose to the 8s also having the sides cf.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yosolo
exterior wise only the front bumper is different and the darker housing headlights , the rear is the same , the tail lights are diff, and the wing only the middle top is cf as oppose to the 8s also having the sides cf.
i think that sums it up
Old Jun 15, 2008, 01:05 PM

Ok cool, thanks a lot guys! IX it is haha.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

gratz on the choice. yes the guy above pretty much summed it all up, also I believe the seats on the interior are different. I definately like my IX seats a lot better, they are leather on the outer part with a nice fabric on the inside so in the summer you don't get the hot leather while still being nice.

Also sorry to be off topic, can I get pics of your AE86? Where did you find it? I'm interested in finding one but having a hard time looking. feel free to PM me if you want.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 05:23 PM

Also, just wondering why do people say to go with a 9 for just bolt on's? Aren't they basically the same engine in the 8's and 9's and stuff? Couldn't you very well do the same thing to a 9 that you could an 8? Is the reason to go for an 8 instead of a 9 for more than just bolt on's because the car itself is cheaper?

PM'd ya
Old Jun 15, 2008, 05:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Mach Eight
Also, just wondering why do people say to go with a 9 for just bolt on's? Aren't they basically the same engine in the 8's and 9's and stuff? Couldn't you very well do the same thing to a 9 that you could an 8? Is the reason to go for an 8 instead of a 9 for more than just bolt on's because the car itself is cheaper?

PM'd ya
The 8 and 9 have the same engine the 4G63.. its just the 9s have more (electronics) more wiring this is y the fastest evos ams buschurs yada yada all use the evo 8 for that..
Old Jun 15, 2008, 05:43 PM

Sorry I still don't understand, i feel like an idiot haha.

Wouldn't the more "electronics" it has help regulate the power or things better?
Old Jun 15, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

The 9's come with MIVEC, and a better turbo so you can get more power with bolt ons. Plus they come with much nicer looking leather/alcantara seats.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 06:27 PM

So then wouldn't the 9's be better with upgrades besides bolt on's too then since the 8's don't have mivec?
Old Jun 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

In addition to the above, the IX has the "carbon fiber look" interior for the dash trim, that makes the interior looks much better than the cheap evo 8 interior. The steering wheel is black.
The exterior wise, the front bumper is the major difference, the VIII has bigger opening for the intercooler, I think that VIII's bumper is better in terms of performance. If you upgrade to bigger intercooler, VIII's bumper has more exposure to the air.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 06:37 PM

Ok cool, thanks . Yeah i'm not sure which bumper i like better haha.

I'm still wondering about why exactly the 9 is better with only bolt on's but the 8 is better overall performance wise for modding? Unless I'm misunderstanding still lol?
Old Jun 15, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
9 r the best! buy one.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by evoracingstar
9 r the best! buy one.
But... Why? Lol if I'm going to be modding it a lot then why do people say the 8 is better? Shouldn't they really be the same just the 9 is more expensive in the first place? What actually defines bolt on? Do you mean the 8 makes a better track car in general because it has less "electronics", it can regulate itself without the weight all the other electronics? I have no clue lol sorry I'm trying to understand before i get myself in a 20k hole haha.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 08:38 PM

Also i was just reading the newbie what to look for when buying and evo and i just thought. If i were to get an 8, couldn't i use some of the internals from a 9? This is from the thread that explains the differences in years.

"Lighter Valve Cover
Added larger compressor housing to same 16g turbo from 05
Revised coolant passages in the head allowing for more boost/timing on pump gas
Hollow camshafts"

Is it possible to change that stuff in the 8 to make it more "like the 9" or better to just change those things to aftermarket parts? Oooor is it the mivec that really sets it off from the 8? Sorry i know these are newbie questions but i never really learned in detail about cars so i'm trying to now haha.

Thanks guys for bearing with me haha

Quick Reply: 8 vs 9 body differences