Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Drop in filter or cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drop in filter or cold air intake?

Which would be better? Do the intakes screw with the computer at all on the IX's? Do you really get just as much out of using a K&N drop in filter?

on a side note... does anyone know the link for the TBE install? I've been up and down the how to's and don't see it anywhere.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you keep the stock airbox with Drop in filter you have a bit more torque, if you go for cold air intake you lose a bit of that torque and gain horsepower that is what I have heard. Also with cold air intake you will definitely be able to hear the turbo spool up and it will be noticeably louder.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

if you get a cone or cold air intake definately get a MAF adapter. But AMS says its ok.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

It's all up to the person who wants to alter it.

I've done aftermarket intakes and drop in filters myself. The drop in is something that def changes your whole intake system and is great for the car.
A cone style is good too, and with that setup, you'll hear alot more suction and if you're running the stock dv, you'll notice that it sounds louder like an aftermarket blow off valve. Also, with the cone style with the adapter, I had some stalling problem which could be easily corrected but didn't have the money or time to fix it.

I ran a drop in for the longest time until I started to do mild modifications, then I switched to an ETS intake.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a drop in and I like it. Kept all my torque and gained a little all through the rpms. I'll wait to do a cone filter until I upgrade my whole intercooler setup cause I'll be switching to a GM MAF setup.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:11 AM
CGK
Evolving Member

I have a drop in as well. The stock airbox is good for up to 400whp, from what I have read on here before. It is the best CAI. I had a short-ram on my Type-S, and it was heat-soak galore...loss of torque, boggin out, etc. Of course a K20A2 is much different than a 4G63, but my point is you will lose some torque. If you want the best of both worlds, get a Blitz Induction cover...they are pretty nice.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 07:47 PM
Account Disabled

The drop in filter is okay 3whp i put a buschur cone filtert with adapter and felt a notiable amount or whp and tq over the drop in no issues with stalling and loss of tq better throttle response and the turbo spool's louder and the blowoff sound's awesome.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

exhaust how to: http://evomoto.com/index_tech.php?tP...8d9b5be8ce94c4
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Get a cone filter with piping. Then get a tune.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

I've got the drop in, because I heard that cone filters can mess with factory ECU. I am sure this can problem can be solved, and if you are going to be doing other mods this probably won't be a problem.

Originally Posted by slicedbreadno2
If you keep the stock airbox with Drop in filter you have a bit more torque, if you go for cold air intake you lose a bit of that torque and gain horsepower that is what I have heard. Also with cold air intake you will definitely be able to hear the turbo spool up and it will be noticeably louder.
I am a mechanical engineer, and HP if the product of torque and radial velocity (RPM). You must gain torque somewhere to gain HP. I'll take the mod that raises torque throughout the rev range over something that only raises torque in the RPM range of peak horsepower.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 02:31 PM
Account Disabled

That's a bullcrap that the cone filter mess up the factory ecu it only becomes a problem to the mass air if you use the oiled type cone filter's the oil throw's of the reading's to the mass sensor then send's a signal to the ecu that there is a problem then the car feel's like it about to stall,Only do the filter without the pipe until you upgrade to a bigger turbo.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

ok cool... so if I go with the drop in is the K&N the best one to use?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Sport Compact car and import tuner magazine used K&N and have dyno sheets to show improvement, so I got K&N. There may be others as good, but I don't know.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Turbo and High Tech Performance said the K&N filter was the best bang for the buck in their evo 9 they tested. It gained as much as 8 whp and 4 peak whp. Not bad for a drop in that costs about $60.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:28 PM
Account Disabled

No way on drop 8hp 4 tq that's what you gain on a cone filter setup,k&n drop in is not good for the mass air sensor because there very heavily oiled they can throw off reading to the mass sensor which flutter's the reading to the ecu for air fuel ratio's the best way if your going to use a dropin is to it put upside down on newspaper's for two day's to let the oil dry up then install it.for 10 dollar's more you could have bought a cone filter with adaptor for that price and the turbo and stock blowoff valve would sound awsome,the drop in is a waste of time and money only good if that's the only mod your going to do.

Quick Reply: Drop in filter or cold air intake?