Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Rescue My Evo Mr!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 01:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rescue My Evo Mr!

I waited so long before getting my IX Evo MR. I went back and forth and back and forth with the 5 speed SE version and the 6 speed MR SE. I read several professional reviews and some said that they prefered the over-all feel of the 5 speed better than the 6 speed. But most every website and magazine said that the MR was the top of the line EVO. I even asked the mechanic at the Mitsubishi dealership if I should get the 5 speed SE or the MR SE. He said the MR without any hesitation. The reason why I asked his opinion was because he had an Evo 8 GSR. He has test driven the MR and he said that it feels much better and it responds a little better. The MR is suppose to be the BEST Evo ever, even if that means being the best by a very narrow margin. Also, Motortrend magazine had the same MR that I have for a "long term test car". They complimented it so much, but at the end before releasing the car, they stated that they heard some chatter that the 6 speed tranny may be weak/fragile when trying to push alot of power through it. In a matter of the last 2 months, I have spent about $3,000 dollars in mods for my MR. Why is all this talk going on about my MR's transmission being weaker than the 5 speed? My MR is the car I'm deeply attached with. Why ALL THIS HEARTBREAK?....Someone help me!
Old Jun 29, 2008, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

dude.. chilllllll... from your mod list.. you will be fine with the 6 speed... just don't abuse it man ..
Old Jun 29, 2008, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

Smile Sure...

How much horsepower do you think I'm safely making right now?

Last edited by nawaz; Jun 29, 2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

Your car is doomed....might as well send it in now and get your tranny rebuilt....

On a serious note tho.....Dont abuse it and you'll be fine....Cousin has 75K+ on his IX MR and the only thing he's replaced is the clutch. Handful of track days, a few launchs here and there, and maintained properly since day one.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 02:07 AM
Evolving Member

i know what you are going thru i was deciding which i wanted more mR or se in a matter of fact im leaning toward the SE ...
Old Jun 29, 2008, 02:50 AM
Evolved Member

omg... really....... ? LOL
Old Jun 29, 2008, 07:57 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
As I tried explaining in your other thread, that was also seemingly geared to make one feel better about is car, the is no best Evo. It all depends on one's individual preferences and expectations. If you were looking for a model designation that stands at the top of the podium, regardless of circumstances, you bought the wrong vehicle. Good luck to you.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:24 AM

You own a dsm and that means

DSM=Broken

Sorry and enjoy your day.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Im not a big fan of the 6 speed. Have friends who have swapped to a five speed but that is because they have a good amount of hp and track their car. If you are not going to race the car that often and dont plan on going over 500hp you will be fine.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

ya, the fact that the 6 speed is weak kinda pisses me off too, but its what you get when you throw all that gear in that tiny little space. I too am concerned about mine. I'm looking to make at or above 500whp, so I think this tranny might **** the bed along the way, so im keeping some extra money in the bank for a shep tranny.

Anyways, the reason the 6 speed is so much weaker is that the gears (4-6) are thinner, and closer together. The 6 speed also uses less gear oil so this attributes to the heat factor.

If you're planning on making big power, yes the 6 speed might fail; but if you're staying stock, or close to it (<400whp) I'm sure you'll be fine. The longevity of the tranny also has to do with whos driving it, and how its maintained.

Theres a lot of factors that contribute to the life of the tranny, but honestly, I think you'll be fine. Just be nice to it.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Your fine, stop crying.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 03:06 PM
Account Disabled

The mr evo is top of the line and expesically the ones we own mr se's they probably made around 2,000 us model's,alot of people are hater's when it come's down to it becuase they don't won't to spend the extra 6,500 hundred dollar's.Alot of people don't know that the 6spd isn't that strong the reason is becuase they use copper ring's int he 4th and 5th gear sincro's instead of brass one's that the 5spd use's.The added bonus of owning a mr is the resale is alot higher and you get alot more bilsten's,polished bbs's,red stiching on the seat's,wicked bill spolier,vortex generator,wider front bumper cutout's,and the 6sp with great on the hwy and shift's faster and rev's do to the close gear ratios.The 6spd will hold 500whp easy by the way how many people do you see daily driver evo's with that much power, trust me for every day that's more then enough power.Make sure what ever you do don't ust act clutch's they known for breaken trannie's i went throw 5 of them on my integra type r civic hatch.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IDRINKV8'S
integra type r civic hatch.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

Smile My Mr!

The MR is my car and there is nothing wrong with it. Even if I don't go sky-high on the power, I refuse to believe the transmission is weaker or less of a transmission than the 5 speed. THE END.