Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear bra

Does anyone currently got a clear bra on their evo..and where from and how much? thx
Old Jun 29, 2008, 09:20 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'd like to know this as well. I'm also wondering if it affects fading. Like after you take the clear bra off is the color significantly different than the rest of the color?
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has 3M clear bar on it.. and I just love it...

Haven't taken the clear bra off, so can't tell u about the color fade, but actually i don't think there will be any..

I paid 800 for it (much cheaper coz from a fd)
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

I also have the 3m clear bra. Honestly the best money I've spent. I drive year round currently and have no chips or scratches ont he front of my car... the metal grill in front of the intercooler obviously has no projection and it's getting chipped away, everything else is perfect. There is no color difference from the area that is under the clear bra to the rest of the car... exact same color.

I paid $500, but that seems cheap now a days because I had a guy do it under the table.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 03:18 PM

The newest films from 3M are extremely resistant to yellowing and hazing. With that said I have never taken the film off to see what's underneath after a couple of years, but I would imagine your unprotected paint would fade a bit while the area covered would not.

However, the film lasts for so long I don't think you'll have to worry about replacing it and you won't notice any fading w/ it on.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't do it. Worst thing I ever did to my car. Total waste of money!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red colors oxidize very badly. Other colors would probably be fine but I have talked to a few clear bra dealers and they don't like doing certain red colors due to the high probability of fading.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

I had the 3M clear bra on the front bumper and leading edge of my hood for over a year. I highly recommend it. I got it for $385 installed..

Talk to any of your local tint shops that have good reputations. They should be able to do it for you.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:05 PM

I put it on my Apex Silver Evo and I love it. It's the only thing I found that can protect my paint here in Montana when the put the gravel on the roads in the winter. Yes I drive mine year round.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a clear bra (headlights, front bumper, mirrors, hood, fenders) and I think it was a great idea! My front end still looks perfect. Clear bras are UV-neutral so if you don't keep the car waxed the paint underneath the bra will fade the same as the rest of the car so it will match if you ever decide to remove the bra. I also like the clear bra because it protects my front bumper paint from cone scuffs while autocrossing.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SHhhhh
Don't do it. Worst thing I ever did to my car. Total waste of money!

Because........
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by TurboRush
Because........

I'd like to know too. I've had nothing but success with my films. Have had them on 5 cars and the result is well worth the protection. I might summize that a negative experience might be had because of an inexperienced installer or just a bad installation job or even inferior film. However, I've never experienced this. I've seen some pretty awful jobs though, so take your time and look for referals from your installer. Check out some of his work and get testimonials. All film installers are not created equal. Some are self taught and some are trained from a particular film kit converter.