Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Purchasing an EVO VIII or EVO IX OR SUBARU STI

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Purchasing an EVO VIII or EVO IX OR SUBARU STI

Hi to all. I just want to ask if I should purchase an evo ix or evo viii or a subie sti. I heard STI’s last longer while on the EVOs doesn’t. A lot of people say you can smash and smash the gas on an STI but not on the EVOs because they break fast usually the head gasket and it is expensive to get them repaired. I know people in this forum don’t like subarus but please let me know the pros and cons abut the maintenance on each car (Subaru or EVO?).

If u reply EVOs tell me y and tell me if I should get an EVO IX or EVO VIII. I know EVO VIII doesn’t have any mivecs but will be better w/ mivec or it is almost the same.

Thank you for all your replies and appreciate your help

Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Evos go faster for less money. Look at how many 300+whp Evos are running around. Most of them with less than $3k in mods (that is a high estimate as well). And the stock motor holds all the way up to 500whp that I've seen on race gas. Plus there are a bunch of 400+whp stock motor cars on pump gas. If you want to run high boost use head studs. You wont have any problems with head gaskets.

When you decide to get an Evo, go for the Evo9. The turbo is "bigger," you get (I think) a taller 1st gear, LSD in the front (early Evo 8's didn't have that), and a nicer front bumper and interior. The MIVEC helps to spool the turbo faster while still maintaining top end (if set up properly).

Anyone can feel free to correct me.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Smile My reason is my car.

There is no car like the Evo. I have a Evo IX MR. Before I bought my car a year ago, I went back and forth comparing the Evo and the STi. The Evo is more of a pure race car. The STi is more of an off-road rally car. I have sat in both cars and I feel that the Evo is more supportive from the seats and all the way to the handling of the car. I have to admit that I do like the sound of the Subie. At the end I don't have second thoughts about my Evo. It is more refined in its handling and the power is the same as the STi. Choose the Evo IX if you do...But I would purchase a brand new car if I were you, even if that means not getting the IX. I don't feel comfortable buying a used car. That's just me. All the best!

Last edited by nawaz; Jul 9, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Everycar has their issues, but Evo's don't "break" all the time. Whoever said that probably heard it from somebody, who heard it from somebody, who heard it from somebody. Evo's are very strong cars.

Although, I think no matter what car you get out of the three, you won't be at all disappointed
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

here is some solid evidence why u should buy a evo 9 compared to that ugly sti. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oSz3...6800065&ref=pb the evo 9's just better from the get go and it's more worth the money than the sti
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Jeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzz...
If I had a dime for every one of these threads I've seen on this site, I'd have..
nevermind, that's not important. Nobody can choose what's best for you. On top of that, why would you want them to? If you're old enough to buy a car, you're old enough to make your own decisions. I take it from the statement "A lot of people say", that you're relatively young, and have yet to learn that when one or two guys (that probably don't own nor ever have owned an Evo. The car in question in this case) say something about a car, a) that doesn't equate to "a lot of people", and b) heresay is bull****.
Of course, by the time you get your driver's license, and then be able to afford one of these cars, you'll prolly have moved on to something else anyway. (not until you're 21)
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:47 PM
Account Disabled

I've owned an EVO IIIV for over three years now! I can't say I've ever had any issues with it, I've put over 60k miles on it and its a 350 whp car! If you treat them well they will last just like any other car! If you beat it daily w. 8k launches it won't! Simple as that! If you can afford an IX, I'd go that route! They just respond better to mods! Good luck!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

^^^^^^^

that's evo viii buddy.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fastkevin
Jeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzz...
If I had a dime for every one of these threads I've seen on this site, I'd have..
nevermind, that's not important. Nobody can choose what's best for you. On top of that, why would you want them to? If you're old enough to buy a car, you're old enough to make your own decisions. I take it from the statement "A lot of people say", that you're relatively young, and have yet to learn that when one or two guys (that probably don't own nor ever have owned an Evo. The car in question in this case) say something about a car, a) that doesn't equate to "a lot of people", and b) heresay is bull****.
Of course, by the time you get your driver's license, and then be able to afford one of these cars, you'll prolly have moved on to something else anyway. (not until you're 21)
According to his profile...he drives nothing, still looking.

I'm guessing he's about 16
Old Jul 9, 2008, 01:23 PM

I am 20 and i am trying to put down at least 4k-5k for down the car price in the lot is 28k and i want a low down... but @ the moment im still choosing my ride... my friend said that his STI steers softer and it has a more comfort ride... evos have a stiff ride is that true? but ty for all the replies
Old Jul 9, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by j_dee1st
I am 20 and i am trying to put down at least 4k-5k for down the car price in the lot is 28k and i want a low down...

i'm sorry. wat?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by j_dee1st
...my friend said that his STI steers softer and it has a more comfort ride... evos have a stiff ride is that true?
If softer steering and ride comfort is what you're after then I'd say go with an STi.

An Evo's steering is sharp, its ride comfort stiff; but I bet you'll love every minute.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 02:12 PM

From the maintenance stand point go with the evo. There are many more shops that specialize in doing work on them and making products. Also it is much harder to do work on an STI because that boxer engine and its engine set up. As for the IX or the VIII go with the IX if possible it has MIVEC, larger turbine housing and will simply be in better condition. Also if price is something you are worried about evos are normally cheaper than STIs.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 02:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nawaz
There is no car like the Evo. I have a Evo IX MR. Before I bought my car a year ago, I went back and forth comparing the Evo and the STi. The Evo is more of a pure race car. The STi is more of an off-road rally car. I have sat in both cars and I feel that the Evo is more supportive from the seats and all the way to the handling of the car. I have to admit that I do like the sound of the Subie. At the end I don't have second thoughts about my Evo. It is more refined in its handling and the power is the same as the STi. Choose the Evo IX if you do...But I would purchase a brand new car if I were you, even if that means not getting the IX. I don't feel comfortable buying a used car. That's just me. All the best!
+1 Great post! I couldn't have said it any better.

Evo > *
Old Jul 9, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go buy an STi. Evos headgasket breaks when you smash and smash on the gas.

Quick Reply: Purchasing an EVO VIII or EVO IX OR SUBARU STI