Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Exedy Clutch or ACT Cluth and flywheel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2008, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy Clutch or ACT Cluth and flywheel

I have recently done research on replacing my clutch and flywheel in my Evo 9. I think im going to go with the ACT Clutch and Flywheel. But I notice alot of people with the Exedy Clutch as well. I heard some bad reviews about the Exedy clutch. Granite it is more expensive and can hold more Toruqe and WHP than the ACT clutch. My evo will be sitting at about 450 HP wich is well under the limit for the ACT clutch. Is there any reason I should get the Exedy clutch instead or will the ACT clutch suit me just fine? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading and hope to see some replys.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ACT blows.... nothing but problems with mine

HIGHLY suggest Exedy Exedy or BUST!
Old Jul 23, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exedy and you won't regret it.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

I've been wondering the same thing as well I see alot of ppl say they hate the ACT clutches but I see alot of ppl say they run them and dont have any problems at all to so who knows. My thing is the ACT is half the price so it very tempting that is for sure.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:44 PM

i just got my ACT clutch and flywheel and getting it installed soon. hopefully its not as bad as people say it is. i was going to get the exedy one but i needed one badly and had no money for it
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

I will be doing my clutch really soon but having doubts with ACT due to high rpm lockouts.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

Act Allllllllllllllll The Way
Old Jul 25, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The reason the ACT is cheaper is because it's not a twin disc setup like the Exedy. Of course it's gonna be better for higher hp and higher rpm shifts. That's what it's suppose to be good for. I have no problem with either but for your hp level you don't need a twin disc by any means. Yes they are amazing clutches but you'll be fine with the ACT clutch and flywheel setup. I'd like to know what people have said about the ACT clutches cause I've seen nothing but good results from ACT.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

I'M KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED BECAUSE I JUST ORDERED MY ACT STREETLITE CLUTCH + STREETLITE FLYWHEEL YESTERDAY. For the most part, I think it'll be great because so many people use them and the company is very reputable. The clutch and the installs price is so much already, so I can't see myself spending $700 more for the Exedy. GOOD LUCK!
Old Jul 25, 2008, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by YoungEvo8
i just got my ACT clutch and flywheel and getting it installed soon. hopefully its not as bad as people say it is. i was going to get the exedy one but i needed one badly and had no money for it
it all depends on how you drive
Old Jul 26, 2008, 02:20 AM
Evolved Member

everyone hates act on this forum yet most people on here have them lol get the exedy if you can afford it if not the act street xtss work fine.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Havnt had any experience with the act but I love my exedy hd. Im sure youll be fine with either one
Old Jul 26, 2008, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Go with the Exedy if you have the money. ACT is good for how much it cost you got to also consider the cost of install and parts . Your looking at like $1500 for ACT/install and maybe like $2500 for exedy/install
Old Jul 26, 2008, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

I've had both on my Evo...First I went with the Exedy twin plate/w chromoly flywheel. Yes, some chatter, but it never slipped. It worked really well at the dragstrip.

I have an ACT HDSS with Streetlight flywheel now. Daily driving is much easier and quieter, but everytime I drag I get the burnt clutch smell.

I would have easily spent the 500 bucks more on the Exedy...
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FedEvo8
I've had both on my Evo...First I went with the Exedy twin plate/w chromoly flywheel. Yes, some chatter, but it never slipped. It worked really well at the dragstrip.

I have an ACT HDSS with Streetlight flywheel now. Daily driving is much easier and quieter, but everytime I drag I get the burnt clutch smell.

I would have easily spent the 500 bucks more on the Exedy...
Then I better be careful after I get my ACT HDSS/streetlite flywheel installed. I don't want that burnt smell since I don't want to spend anymore money on my clutch.

Last edited by nawaz; Jul 28, 2008 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Exedy Clutch or ACT Cluth and flywheel