Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

ACT Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k cool, send me a PM if you can with how you like it with your mods n stuff
Old Aug 4, 2008, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

dude i got that clutch from MA Performance they're a great vendor on here and chris will give you a better deal.Give him a holler.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont cheap out man.... buy a twin disk...
ACT is garbage IMHO....
ive gone thru like 2
ACTHDSS + street disc.... lasted half a year and a quarter of that it was slipping
ACT Xtreme PP + 6 puck sprung... exploded... what more has to be said...

High RPM lockout on both... both clutches had me spend a lil over 1000 bills in labor when i finally jus went out an bought a Exedy Twin
or even better... buy a hyrdaulic style clutch or even a push...

Last edited by Duh Panda; Aug 4, 2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

and that is prolly from those high rpm launches that we dont do, and 450 to the wheels man, ill be lucky to get to 320 to 350 in the next year or 2
Old Aug 4, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah. Even if you get an upgraded clutch, you still have to keep yourself from abusing the hell out of it. The ACT will do fine.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Smile

Originally Posted by landis507
k cool, send me a PM if you can with how you like it with your mods n stuff
Hi everyone! My install for my ACT Street Clutch/Streetlite flywheel just got completed really late last night. I drove my Evo from my tuner/mechanic's house to my house and the clutch has a completely different feel compared to the stock clutch....But it's a very positive change. Even though the clutch pedal is a little stiffer than stock, it still feels much better to me. Let me let you know that the ACT Street clutch is "super-sensitive." In other words, the new clutch feels much more responsive...It feels much more advanced than stock. The new clutch will take some getting used to. I can tell for sure that I now have an upgraded clutch in my car. I have a few warnings for everyone on this particular clutch though. First, you have to give a 1,000 mile break-in period for this clutch. That means "no launching" the Evo for the first 1,000 miles, but you can rev the engine as high as you want to. For example, you can accelerate as hard as you want to by revving the engine to very high rpm's, but you just can't launch the car in the beginning. The 1,000 mile break-in does not include "highway" miles. It only includes 1,000 miles in "city driving." So that means that you can drive the Evo on the highway as much as you want, but it will not properly break-in the brand new clutch. City driving includes a lot of shifting and that's what it will take to properly break-in the new clutch. At he end, I'm very impressed with my new clutch and I hope it holds up the impression in the long run. Bottom line is that the clutch will take some getting used to, but so far the ACT Street clutch is very nice in my personal opinion.

Last edited by nawaz; Aug 6, 2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info.I am leaning towards ACThdss and flywheel.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm getting my ACT 2900 with streetlite flywheel shipped for $782 from Slowboy
Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nawaz
Hi everyone! My install for my ACT Street Clutch/Streetlite flywheel just got completed really late last night. I drove my Evo from my tuner/mechanic's house to my house and the clutch has a completely different feel compared to the stock clutch....But it's a very positive change. Even though the clutch pedal is a little stiffer than stock, it still feels much better to me. Let me let you know that the ACT Street clutch is "super-sensitive." In other words, the new clutch feels much more responsive...It feels much more advanced than stock. The new clutch will take some getting used to. I can tell for sure that I now have an upgraded clutch in my car. I have a few warnings for everyone on this particular clutch though. First, you have to give a 1,000 mile break-in period for this clutch. That means "no launching" the Evo for the first 1,000 miles, but you can rev the engine as high as you want to. For example, you can accelerate as hard as you want to by revving the engine to very high rpm's, but you just can't launch the car in the beginning. The 1,000 mile break-in does not include "highway" miles. It only includes 1,000 miles in "city driving." So that means that you can drive the Evo on the highway as much as you want, but it will not properly break-in the brand new clutch. City driving includes a lot of shifting and that's what it will take to properly break-in the new clutch. At he end, I'm very impressed with my new clutch and I hope it holds up the impression in the long run. Bottom line is that the clutch will take some getting used to, but so far the ACT Street clutch is very nice in my personal opinion.
I had the street disc in my VIII and really liked it. The "super sensitivity" you refer to will go away once the clutch gets broken in and you get used to the pedal feel. When I bought my IX it still had the stock clutch which felt like a limp noodle since I had been driving on the ACT.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hikaru
I had the street disc in my VIII and really liked it. The "super sensitivity" you refer to will go away once the clutch gets broken in and you get used to the pedal feel. When I bought my IX it still had the stock clutch which felt like a limp noodle since I had been driving on the ACT.
Yeah, that "super-sensitivity" is starting to go away now after a few days. I've been driving my car off and on for a while now and my legs feel very tired and worn out. I love the clutch feel when I'm fresh and well rested, but at the end of the day....My legs just feel worn out. I guess it's because I work a full-time job and I drive the car so much...so I don't blame the clutch entirely. I'm still very pleased with the clutch and I still hope it continues the good overall impression.

Last edited by nawaz; Aug 12, 2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eponti
Thanks for the info.I am leaning towards ACThdss and flywheel.
+1

I want to know how it feels.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:46 PM
Account Disabled

Is the hdss or the Xtreme kit better?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by [Advance]
+1

I want to know how it feels.
Get the HDSS combo kit from lancershop.com. It worked out perfectly for me. It feels much stronger and responsive than the stock clutch.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks nawaz.

Some of the candidates for the cars I want to buy have the act hdss.

so was wondering how it felt.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

although the act feels way better than the stock, it isn't much of a high performance clutch. DD yes, but racing...no....Mine blew up after 10000 miles and all I did was a couple of launches........If I DD my car I will get the clutch again, if i track it I will get something a little nicer.....

Quick Reply: ACT Clutch question