Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

n00b question - mbc / tune question - advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2008, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
n00b question - mbc / tune question - advice

ok...so ive been trying to figure out idea and plans for my evo...

basically i wanna make my evo as fast as possible but keep it daily drive.

Currently my mods is just Helix downpipe, helix testpipe, greddy ti-c exhaust
its running stock boost, has no tune, nothing. Now i know the car runs perfectly fine w/o a tune but obviously u r not gonna get full potential power, which is leading to why i made this thread.

Here's my questions/situation

- Im gonna start w/ my question about MBC, i notice alot of evo owners, use hallman MBC, i've been contemplating getting that or aem tru-boost, but regardless...say i got a boost controller and upped my boost to like 20psi untuned. Is that still safe since its still a minor increase?

- Now im gonna ask about tunes... so lemme start off by stating this,
I live in canada...we never started to get evo's til very recently b/c they decided to Ban them til July 2008. Jus to give u an idea...I am one of 5 or 6 people in my city who owns one...I think i am one of 2 people who own a evo 9, rest own evo 8's.
So, that said I dont exactly trust alot of ppl touching this vehicle lol. So im not sure what to do... i was thinking of maybe doing the Mellon tune or maybe a accessport (havent heard alot of things on the AP though)
Also the weather is changing quite quick here (winter on the way) so i dunno if i should jus leave it til spring but i want more power!!!

I know tune is not jus for more power but safety as well. Any suggestions from u guys...regarding tune/getting more power to hold me over til spring lol haha!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey man my best friend lives in montreal! anyway im just starting to get into evos and although i cant really help ya with the boost controller, if you want more power before a tune then port your exhaust manifold, get an o2 dump or just an aftermarket regular o2. also i would say get an intake with intercooler pipes. all of those im almost positive are fine without a tune and will give ya some power. also i had an accessport for my wrx. its not worht it on an evo cause u can get your ecu reflashed for way cheaper...but if you want to add some horsies just by plugging that puppy in without going to a tuner that would help a lot. then when you do have time to get a tune the accessport will probably come in handy because ur tuner can make multiple maps for u.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

I would not up your boost untill you are tuned for it. And you can not go wrong with Mellon. The only person I would trust doing an Email tune.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:50 PM
Account Disabled

I agree with importjake,what ever you do don't add intercooer pipe's,o2housing,or ported exhuast manifold because it's gonna make you run very lean and increase your boost more then stock and possibly blow your motor.Mellon does do the best mail in flash's for evo's can't go wrong and he's a good guy to deal with not like some other tuner's out there.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:48 AM
Account Disabled

thanks for the votes of confidence in Mellon Tuning, I really appreciate that guys.

Go_Lancer_Go check out www.mellontuning.com when you're ready to get started!
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Don't adjust your boost without being tuned for it.

A tune is one of the most important things to maximize your cars potential and reliability.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
read the link in my signature

seriously...
Old Oct 22, 2008, 02:59 PM

Tune is a must!!!! You dont want to learn the hard way
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:21 PM

Skip the boost controller, since most tunes / tuners will set the boost higher in the ECU using the stock controls.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

when i got my mbc i upped the boost very little and had no problem but then i got tuned the following week so i didnt really WOT that much... just get the tune, and do all of the mods at one time, i used to do one mod at a time and it would suck because i would always have to get re-tuned... now i tune myself to save some money lol
Old Oct 24, 2008, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RicerX1
Skip the boost controller, since most tunes / tuners will set the boost higher in the ECU using the stock controls.
This is incorrect. The boost level on the Evo is mechanically limited to right around stock levels. Adjusting the ECU boost values can only net you very minimal boost gains without physical modification to the system.

To increase boost on the stock system you have to remove/modify/replace restrictor pills in the lines as well as adjust boost targets in the ECU.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
This is incorrect. The boost level on the Evo is mechanically limited to right around stock levels. Adjusting the ECU boost values can only net you very minimal boost gains without physical modification to the system.

To increase boost on the stock system you have to remove/modify/replace restrictor pills in the lines as well as adjust boost targets in the ECU.
+1
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was curious when I first got my evo about hooking up a boost controller so I called around many shops in the area to check. A stock evo will hold boost around 16psi. The shops I talked to all said that 2 pounds over stock is a safe point without a tune. Anything over that and you are taking it into your own hands. Of course, a tune would make a difference and is much recommended...especially if you are running higher than 18psi.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RicerX1
That is probably worst information on evom.

Fail.