Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Thinking of buying an Evo...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of buying an Evo...

First off, I am new to the boards, so hello to everyone.

For months now I have been debating on what kind of car I want to get next. I want something unique, yet affordable, something quick and nimble, and something that just looks good.

I have been bouncing around all over the place, and growing up I've always been a V8 muscle head, longing for the days of when I finally have a true V8 sports car to call my own..............................until I drove an STI.

Now I know an STI is not a Mitsu, so how is it that I became to want an EVO over an STI? Well, I guess I started reading a lot about EVOs and started comparing them to the STI and the LS1 F bodies (different ball game, I know), and Vettes.

However, I still don't know that much about them. From what I have read, the engine in the evo is superior to that of subaru's boxer engine, and has been around for a very long time, thus giving Mitsubishi time to work out any kinks or quirks with the engine itself.

What I want to know is what are the best years for the Evos? I am thinking 03' because they are much cheaper, but I am also thinking 05' and 06'.

I am not looking to spend more than 20k on the car, because anything beyond that is just going to hurt me.

Also, I have searched multiple sites trying to find any information on the Evo transmissions and how strong, or durable they are. I know there are some evo's out there with a 5 spd manual, and others with a 6spd manual. I wouldn't mind either transmission as long as they are durable enough for everyday driving. I will not abuse my car (I am not the type of person who just mashes the pedal and powershifts the hell out of my cars, I usually ease into the accelerator and I granny shift about 85% of the time). The car will not be used as a DD, and I may take it to the drag strip maybe once or twice out of the year.

So bestow upon me your knowledge and experiences with the evo. Btw, I am thinking of getting an EVO VIII for those who are wondering, though I'd prefer an EVO IX, but for the price it looks like the 8 will be the winner.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

but for the price it looks like the 8 will be the winner.
Im not saying you wont be able to but Good luck on finding a nice low mile evo for 20k or less. IF thats gonna hurt you...You probally shouldnt buy one until you can finaically stand it. You buy the car alot comes along with it...Evo are expensive cars not only that expensive to fix if anything breaks, to service the car can even be expensive. And u say u want the tranny durable enough for everyday driving but your not gonna DD it. A clutch job alone on these thing is anywhere from 1k to 3k. Id do some more research on this forum before you jump in head over heals and just go out and buy an evo. Dont get me wrong they are great cars and i love mine but then again u gotta have a good job or have some money put away for all the rest that comes with it...once you get the car the first thing ull wanna do is put an exhaust on it then bov then after that comes the rest of the mods. If u mod the car right and do everything the right way u may not have any problems but something will eventually break and will cost you some$$ But good luck hopefully i could help you out.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by OhsixIXBish
Im not saying you wont be able to but Good luck on finding a nice low mile evo for 20k or less. IF thats gonna hurt you...You probally shouldnt buy one until you can finaically stand it. You buy the car alot comes along with it...Evo are expensive cars not only that expensive to fix if anything breaks, to service the car can even be expensive. And u say u want the tranny durable enough for everyday driving but your not gonna DD it. A clutch job alone on these thing is anywhere from 1k to 3k. Id do some more research on this forum before you jump in head over heals and just go out and buy an evo. Dont get me wrong they are great cars and i love mine but then again u gotta have a good job or have some money put away for all the rest that comes with it...once you get the car the first thing ull wanna do is put an exhaust on it then bov then after that comes the rest of the mods. If u mod the car right and do everything the right way u may not have any problems but something will eventually break and will cost you some$$ But good luck hopefully i could help you out.

I've helped replace clutches before, not specifically on any Evos, but on f bodies. It's a lengthy job even when you have 3-4 other people helping you.
And about how much per year does the car cost you to maintain if you don't mind me asking?

I'll probably only drive the thing 2-3 times out of the week. Like I said before, I have been considering others cars, like an LS1 Z28/SS/Trans Am/WS6, or an LS1 vette. Both of those cars are cheaper, with under 75k miles too. And, I can maintain them myself. But the evo, seems to have all of what I want in one nicely rounded package.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Couple of things...

1) The STi would be a more comparable car to American Muscle. Not that they can be compared at all anyways, but it's more comparable than the Evo. STi's have larger motors, more torque down low, understeer (lol), power-through type of driving.

2) Everybody that makes big power on the 6spd, breaks their 6spd and goes 5spd if that says anything. In anycase, both trannies are more than powerful enough to handle the power you put it through so long as you don't abuse it. They both have the same TC which is the weakpoint on these transmissions anywas.

3) 03's can be had less than 20k, but it will have higher mileage and probably some use. The best year is of course the latest year (06), but with the money you save buying an 03...you could make it faster. At the extreme end of the modding scale, all evo's have the same potential.

For me, an evo is a better DD than any muscle car. 4 doors/awd/...but even for the evo...im stretching the term DD.

In the end, i really think you would prefer the STi over the Evo. I think it fits your needs/style of driving better. Its also overall a better package than the Evo.

I think the Evo is better at doing what the STi was designed to do, but the STi does better at what the Evo wasn't designed to do.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo is cheaper to mod than a Sti. If you're planning a bunch of mods like bigger turbo ro engine build, 8 will be the way to go to save money. However, as people have said, your budget is not enough for what you're hoping for. As a daily drive, I prefer my 9 more than the 8, the MIVEC does help in daily drive. Also, dropping 2-3k can already get to around 350whp for a 9. Still, you can no way to find a 9 at 20k price range.. or a really high mileage one. Even a high milage (around 70k miles) Evo 8 cost about 15-17k nowadays. With tax and some fixing (due to high mileage or second-hand..which probably have some issues), it's really gonna hurt you.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats there to think about............................................. ..............
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
THERE ARE SO MANY THREADDS LIKE THIS!!! wow
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

for only 20k youll have to get an Evo 8, prolly a 2003. Looks go to the Evo 9, modding goes to the Evo 10, and if you ant cheap, then the Evo 8 is right for you
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

I've helped replace clutches before, not specifically on any Evos, but on f bodies. It's a lengthy job even when you have 3-4 other people helping you.
And about how much per year does the car cost you to maintain if you don't mind me asking?
lol putting a trans in a rwd is totally diff. then awd but ur a car guy so u would know. if ur just gonna drive the car 2-3 days outta the week and not mod it. considering it has already had the 60k service u may just have to keep up with regular services like any other car. im at the modding stage now blew my 4th gear out. now shep is rebuilding my tranny a little over 3500 to get the trans done and new clutch. But while it was in the shop i got new ic pipes new front mount and 02 dump so im at like 5k for it all. but its gonna be well worth it. the car is fun but like i said can also be expensive....
Cheers!
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:49 AM

You really need to just drive both cars.

It comes down to personal preference.