Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

2.3L Help!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2008, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3L Help!

hey guys, I am planing on stroking my motor with AMS 2.3L kit. My question is what size turbo to get? I've gotten so many different responses from GT 3076-to a GT 30R- to a GT 35R. I want to get a nice size turbo to hit well into the 400whp range but have no lag and use for daily driving. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

400 whp....no lag....its possible on the stock turbo but if you want a bigger turbo i would say FP-green or FP-red.....FP Red flows a little more than a 30r and less than a 35r and spool up is a couple hunred rpm slower than stock turbo on a 2.0 with a 2.3 you could spool a red with ease!
Old Nov 7, 2008, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^+1, unless you have a t3 manifold in mind. Keep in mind the red loves high boost and race gas. If its your DD you might not wanna go that route.

If you plan on going to a t3 manifold then I would choose none of those turbos. A 50 trim will put you in the low 400's on 93 pump with the least amount of lag out of the turbos you have considered. Add meth and you could be possible mid 400's.

Last edited by sikrsix; Nov 7, 2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

In my experience setups we've dealt with like that normally go 35r-37r. We stopped using a 30r because it wasn't able to build the boost we wanted it too, it was simply too small, but definitely a 400+whp. That being said if you're mainly using the car for DD then I'd go with that (30r). It will make the power you want with less lag. If you want more options down the road and might do something different go with a HTA 35.

I have similar needs as well and I'm going with an HTA 35r. I had a 40r and now on stock turbo until I get the 35r built. I'm running a 2.5L on the stock now and it's fun, but not what I want. City use is excellent but about 10-15mpg and highway use is better at like 25-30mpg. It's a '03 VIII turbo so being the smallest of them all. On the highway in 5th gear if I hit the throttle as fast a possible it will build 3-6psi.

Last edited by Bggstin; Nov 7, 2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

I also want to be able to get a quick spool as well
Old Nov 7, 2008, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

If you look at my setup, I was making 500 whp on 93 octane and meth injection on a AMS 50 trim turbo kit and the 2.3 with all supporting mods.....

The car was crazy fast and the spool up was great! I will try to find the dyno sheet..
Old Nov 7, 2008, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Yea I really just wanna use this for DD. I am just looking for something I wont kill myself in but at the same time still be able to feel a ton of power with the least amount of lag and quick spoool
Originally Posted by Bggstin
In my experience setups we've dealt with like that normally go 35r-37r. We stopped using a 30r because it wasn't able to build the boost we wanted it too, it was simply too small, but definitely a 400+whp. That being said if you're mainly using the car for DD then I'd go with that (30r). It will make the power you want with less lag. If you want more options down the road and might do something different go with a HTA 35.

I have similar needs as well and I'm going with an HTA 35r. I had a 40r and now on stock turbo until I get the 35r built. I'm running a 2.5L on the stock now and it's fun, but not what I want. City use is excellent but about 10-15mpg and highway use is better at like 25-30mpg. It's a '03 VIII turbo so being the smallest of them all. On the highway in 5th gear if I hit the throttle as fast a possible it will build 3-6psi.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

well with the stock manifold your gonna get quicker spool....the tubular manifold don't spool the turbo as fast as a cast log style but the tubular manifolds are better for top end...you could port(helps with spool up) the stock manifold and get a FPRED (which is a direct bolt on also)...and get a EPM or QTP o2 housing dump (helps with spool up)....and you would have a nice setup
Old Nov 7, 2008, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

meth injection is not reliable...its inconsistent.....tune for 91 or 93 but the best bet is to tune to E85.....E85 has an octane rating of 105.....heres a thread of some E85 tunes and the gains made from 91

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ight=e85+tunes
Old Nov 7, 2008, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

any one know what site I can get a FP Red?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evane
meth injection is not reliable...its inconsistent....
What is unreliable or inconsistent about it?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drop24
What is unreliable or inconsistent about it?
with meth you have to have fail safes and usually more than one....your going to have to watch you fluid level in the tank bc if it runs out you won't have meth to inject which in turn your motor will start knocking which isn't good....the lines or nozzles and get plugged and theres no tellin when that happens and it can happen in an instant causing your motor to knock horribly and could damage your engine....also meth is corrosive! with these things said can you meth is reliable? it can be but you have to keep your eye on it very closely.....with e85 you only got to worry about filling up your gas tank and watch for winter blends which is usually E70 and if you have a tune for the E70 you can utilize map switching with a toggle or if you have an 03-04 you can use a ecu patch that uses the intercooler sprayer switch as the map switch

Last edited by evane; Nov 7, 2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

I had meth on my car for 3 years and I never had any problems.... I do agree there are other options

This was on setup that had a lot of chances for more power. I was only using 272 cams, non ported head... If I had an AMS race ported head at the time and diff. cams my car would have made a ton more power!

I bought a fun little project car, 1991 honda crx with a b16 in it and we will be running a 50 trim and meth on this car as well. Shooting for 350 whp on this little terd
Old Nov 7, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evane
with meth you have to have fail safes and usually more than one....your going to have to watch you fluid level in the tank bc if it runs out you won't have meth to inject which in turn your motor will start knocking which isn't good....the lines or nozzles and get plugged and theres no tellin when that happens and it can happen in an instant causing your motor to knock horribly and could damage your engine....also meth is corrosive! with these things said can you meth is reliable? it can be but you have to keep your eye on it very closely.....with e85 you only got to worry about filling up your gas tank and watch for winter blends which is usually E70 and if you have a tune for the E70 you can utilize map switching with a toggle or if you have an 03-04 you can use a ecu patch that uses the intercooler sprayer switch as the map switch
Thats so true...my boys meth started to eat away at his O-rings
Old Nov 7, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, a proper failsafe is a must but if done right I'm starting to see meth as a viable solution to 91 octane problem. I'm thinking of getting that Aquamist HSF-1 kit installed. That said, I'd run E85 instead if it was available here.

Quick Reply: 2.3L Help!