Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New and unsure

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New and unsure

Hey, new here and I am debating on trading my 04 tsx auto clean title with 73k miles on it for a 03 lancer evo salvage title with 89k miles. YES! i know its a salvage title but I don't know how reliable the evo really is after 89k with a salvage title. What I want to know is this a good trade? and How reliable is the typical evo with about the same millage? I am a car enthusiast and I really can't stand driving auto all the time, that is why im considering on trading it for this evo. Here is the ad for the evo http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/921960152.html
I already contacted the owner and he is interested in doing the trade. I asked a couple of my friends and they arn't sure about trading it for a salvage evo. I wanted to get the opinions of the forum member's here since you guys know more about evo's than i do. I am new here so please understand what i am trying to say. Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why was it salvaged?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:01 AM

I asked him and he did not reply with the question but in the ad it says its not a stock fender and the front door was repainted so im guessing it was hit on the side.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

I'd try to find out exactly what happened.... If it was hit from the side, it would have taken a lot of damage to total it. Possibly even frame damage...
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:20 AM

i wouldn't do it. sell your car and look for one that isn't salvaged if you're really interested in owning an evolution.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah would have to be a lot to total out an Evo. Going value is 20K or so and insurance will total it if it costs more than 75% of car's value. I just totaled my old car ('03 sunfire) by hitting a deer. The thing did as much body damage as possible and my airbags deployed. They said at least $6,500 w/o taking any parts up and it would be more after that. The engine, drivetrain, and frame were perfect though. To get ~$17K+ in damages would have me being a little skeptical unless you're getting it "fixed" for like $5K or something. Steer clear if it had frame damage.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:12 PM

if you really want that evo, do a vin look up and see what happened to it exactly. If it's not that bad, i would say go for it. if it's ugly, i would say only cus it will be more of a head ache.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:20 PM

Thanks for all of your advices, I talked to the owner today and i called off the trade. He told me that it was hit on the front right side of the car and he had his mechanic check the cars alignment and said it was straight. I don't think ill trade the tsx for that evo. I can't really take his word on the body frame.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

You can get a better one for a little more...