Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Plz read!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plz read!

seeing the Evo IX MR will be my first manuel transmission car...
would u guys advise me to go to performance driving school or just wing it... and learn by my self..
from what i hear its a crazy car 2 control but inside op can help

thankX! ive been learning how 2 drive stick on a r32 and a gti... much different i no but w.ee any op would help thx
Old Dec 1, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Learn by yourself like I did. Piece of cake.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

I wish I could go to performance driving school now! You get to drive as fast as you can on a huge road with out paranoia, plus learn how to properly drive........ fast. Please pick driving school.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 04:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
driving stick is driving stick

add awd and sloppy tranny feel it isn't the easiest car to learn on but the basics are all the same

start saving for a new clutch though
Old Dec 1, 2008, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

I bought the car about 2 hours away from where i lived, learned how to drive it in a school parking lot, and drove it home scared and pissing myself.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 04:32 PM

LoL performance driving school?!

It's easy to learn manual. No need to pay $300 to learn how to drive your car, unless you want to learn how to race
Old Dec 1, 2008, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

No school man. Unless you have the paper to do that. Put that money to better use.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 04:57 PM

As far as driving a stick is concerned it's pretty much the same as any other front or rear wheel drive vehicle. As far as taking it to a HPDE of course you should do it. You bought an Evo right? Good luck with the car and congrats.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

LMAO at your screen name.... malaka in Greek is....

Anyway, I would advise against learning to drive stick in an Evo. Parts break, and they are not cheap. If you do take the plunge, go easy on her till you getr the hang of it.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly it isnt rocket science unless your a complete retard, however the MR or any evo tranny is a little *****y from time to time.

If I were you I would get used to driving something like a honda and the graduate to the evo esecially if the car you are buying already has a twin disk clutch in it, but if that is not an option just take your time and be careful.

Make sure you bring someone with you that knows how to drive stick really well, that knows how to rev match and actually shift through turns, Im not saying that they should teach you this out of the gate but if they know how to do this then they should be able to give you great advice on how to drive the evo without an issue.

Edit* Saw that you said that you were learning on a GTI basically a smooth tranny like a honda, get really good at it if you can and then you should be able to get the hang of the evo pretty quick.... major difference is going to be booooooooooooooooooostin... Have fun and welcome!

Last edited by 06MRV8Killer; Dec 1, 2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

find a flat parking lot

Clutch in---> shift into 1st----->Now with no gas, slowly let the clutch out until you feel the car lurch forward----->ease the clutch out all the way---> and were off---->some gas---> clutch in slowly----> ease into 2nd-----> blip throttle------> ease clutch out

BAM! you have already climbed part of the mountain.

There you go pimpin, a lil gas

I figured he would touch the pedal once he starts moving, its only natural.

Last edited by CAD EVO; Dec 1, 2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CAD EVO
find a flat parking lot

Clutch in---> shift into 1st----->Now with no gas, slowly let the clutch out until you feel the car lurch forward----->ease the clutch out all the way---> and were off----> clutch in slowly----> ease into 2nd-----> blip throttle------> ease clutch out

BAM! you have already climbed part of the mountain.

^ No Gas???? The "lurch" is when the clutch slightly engages and this is where you should give it a little gas to make sure you dont stall out and simultaneously slowly release the clutch....... and when going from gear to gear I have never "blipped" the throttle unless I was rev matching and downshifting....

Last edited by 06MRV8Killer; Dec 1, 2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

You do not need to add gas when the car lurches forward, the point of not giving any gas is so he learns where it engages.

Telling new stick driver to give the car gas usually ends up bad.

You have never blipped the throttle on a slow 1-2 shift??? I find that very very hard to believe.

Last edited by CAD EVO; Dec 1, 2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

ti kanis malaka! it's not that hard learning to drive stick. just take your time and realize that you are going to stall. just keep doing what the people above posts say and you will get it in no time.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 05:35 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kingofmalaka101
would u guys advise me to go to performance driving school or just wing it... and learn by my self..
from what i hear its a crazy car 2 control but inside op can help
If you can go to a high-performance driving school, by all means do so. You'll learn car control and techniques that'll stay with you for the rest of your life. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Plz read!