Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

I got one! Now how do I drive it....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008 | 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

I got one! Now how do I drive it....

First time Evo owner here! In fact, first time 200+hp owner....

The cars I've owned (In order)
1988 Honda Accord LXi
2000 Mercury Cougar
2003 Mustang Convertible (v6)

I'm having a blast driving the car so far but I'd love some tips from some guys w/ some experience! I'd like some tips on the following:

1. Launch
2. Cornering Maneuvers
3. Shift Points (RPM, etc)
4. Shifting - Heavy on the gas while releasing the clutch?
5. Use the brake or engine brake? (I've always been taught to throw it into neutral and coast but after reading the manual i'm not too sure! and since these brakes look expensive i dont want to wear them out any quicker...)
6. Any other tips!

I've never had a turbo before so i'm just learning the ropes. I'm used to gradually coming off the clutch and giving gas but I noticed that the car really takes off w/ high revs into the shift. I'd really appreciate any pointers you guys/gals may have. If this has been sticky-ed before or discussed please let me know - I'm sure others are interested on how to realize the full potential of this beast....
Old Dec 3, 2008 | 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Just drive it and you will get to know the car.
Old Dec 3, 2008 | 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

where did you buy your car?
Old Dec 3, 2008 | 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

launching the car will kill the clutch from what ive been reading. like switchblade said just drive it and ull figure out the rest
Old Dec 3, 2008 | 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

rule #1 when launching
hold the asc button down until its disabled prior to launching (4 secs).
Old Dec 3, 2008 | 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

even with it off, the clutch is heavily affected since our clutch is a pos. mayb im wrong
Old Dec 3, 2008 | 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Stock X clutch SUCKS!!! get an aftermarket clutch if you plan on doing any mods to your car and def. if you plan on launching it
Old Dec 3, 2008 | 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Best tip that I could give you is that I've noticed since the first day I got my X that you have to let the clutch out a bit more past the initial engagement to really get it to bite compared to other cars (most likely because the clamp load is a little soft). In doing so, the car tends to bog unless you give it a bit more gas then you would normally feel is necessary, but you also gotta imagine that this is a 3500+lb car with a 2 liter engine that has NO torque until boost hits. Also, speed shifting an AWD car is a little bit different than a RWD car.

This is my 3rd AWD turbo car (WRX, STI, and now the X), and you'll learn pretty quickly that when speed shifting, you have to let the clutch out a little bit slower on the 1 to 2 shift, otherwise you'll shock the driveline and feel that "lurch." In a RWD car, slamming gears will bark the tires and alleviate this shock, but again, in an AWD car there is too much grip and the tires can't "bark," so the shock has to go somewhere and that somewhere is the driveline. 3rd and up isn't as much of an issue, but you'll figure it out. Like someone else said above me, just drive the car and you'll get a feel for it soon. Hope this helps...
Old Dec 3, 2008 | 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Best tip that I could give you is that I've noticed since the first day I got my X that you have to let the clutch out a bit more past the initial engagement to really get it to bite compared to other cars (most likely because the clamp load is a little soft). In doing so, the car tends to bog unless you give it a bit more gas then you would normally feel is necessary, but you also gotta imagine that this is a 3500+lb car with a 2 liter engine that has NO torque until boost hits. Also, speed shifting an AWD car is a little bit different than a RWD car.

This is my 3rd AWD turbo car (WRX, STI, and now the X), and you'll learn pretty quickly that when speed shifting, you have to let the clutch out a little bit slower on the 1 to 2 shift, otherwise you'll shock the driveline and feel that "lurch." In a RWD car, slamming gears will bark the tires and alleviate this shock, but again, in an AWD car there is too much grip and the tires can't "bark," so the shock has to go somewhere and that somewhere is the driveline. 3rd and up isn't as much of an issue, but you'll figure it out. Like someone else said above me, just drive the car and you'll get a feel for it soon. Hope this helps...
yea that 1st to 2nd thing is pretty crappy. also, my previous 3 cars have been standards and my evo takes a lot more strength to shift. Like from 1st to 2nd you can really feel it when the shifter hits the middle, then when it goes down into 2nd. The shifting in my si was 10x smoother. Is this normal?
Old Dec 3, 2008 | 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, change the transmission fluid and it should be a little better
Old Dec 3, 2008 | 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

damn i only have like 1700 miles lol that's kinda soon!!
Old Dec 3, 2008 | 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

yeah the stock fluid sucks too so change it and should help out with the shifting a-bit
Old Dec 3, 2008 | 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ice1874193
First time Evo owner here! In fact, first time 200+hp owner....

The cars I've owned (In order)
1988 Honda Accord LXi
2000 Mercury Cougar
2003 Mustang Convertible (v6)

I'm having a blast driving the car so far but I'd love some tips from some guys w/ some experience! I'd like some tips on the following:

1. Launch
2. Cornering Maneuvers
3. Shift Points (RPM, etc)
4. Shifting - Heavy on the gas while releasing the clutch?
5. Use the brake or engine brake? (I've always been taught to throw it into neutral and coast but after reading the manual i'm not too sure! and since these brakes look expensive i dont want to wear them out any quicker...)
6. Any other tips!

I've never had a turbo before so i'm just learning the ropes. I'm used to gradually coming off the clutch and giving gas but I noticed that the car really takes off w/ high revs into the shift. I'd really appreciate any pointers you guys/gals may have. If this has been sticky-ed before or discussed please let me know - I'm sure others are interested on how to realize the full potential of this beast....

1. Don't launch the car unless you are in for a time trial or at a drag strip, doing so on the street makes you look immature and just casual track day it just puts extra wear for no benefit

2. Brake late and jump into apex, trailbraking and evo go so well together. Gas hard at the exit, the car may go into a 4 wheel slide mode depending on the rpm you're in but it is trivial to control in a evo, and extremely fun while doing so

3. Are you an VIII/IX or X owner? For VIII/IX, the cut off is at 7600rpm but the redline is 7000rpm. Unless you have a tune, you'll get better time from shifting at 7000. You need to ask someone else for 4B11.

4. Depends on VIII/IX or X, but in general in any car, the quicker you're on gas again the quicker you're gonna go, or you can simply powershift. But the release point of the clutch is a bit annoying. You'll have to ride the clutch a little or you get a loud thunk from the back.

5. Keep coasting to minimum it is totally unecessary and dangerous. There are only 5 gears, don't be lazy

6. Get a tune from Mellon and if you have a VIII or an IX, upgrade brakelines and pads asap!
Old Dec 3, 2008 | 08:48 PM

Find a performance driving school...it is the best thing you will do for driving and one of the best modifications you can make for your car.

Autocross is also good.
Old Dec 3, 2008 | 10:25 PM

This may have already be answered but what is dangerous about leaving the car in neutral and coasting? Is it AWD related?