Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Gas Brands

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsr0801
If your running high boost, cheap gas will 100% produce nocks.
just read this on AAA

"Oil companies spend lots of money explaining why their gas is better than the competition's. Chevron's gas, for example, is fortified with "Techron," and Amoco Ultimate is supposed to save the planet along with your engine. But today more than ever, one gallon of gas is as good as the next.

True, additives help to clean your engine, but what the companies don't tell you is that all gas does so. Since 1994 the government has required that detergents be added to all gasoline to help prevent fuel injectors from clogging. State and local regulators keep a close watch to make sure those standards are met; in Florida inspectors checked 45,000 samples last year to ensure the state's gas supply was up to snuff, and 99% of the time it was. "There's little difference between brand-name gas and any other," says AAA spokesperson Geoff Sundstrom.

What's more, your local Chevron station may sell gas refined by Shell or Exxon Mobil. Suppliers share pipelines, so they all use the same fuel. And the difference between the most expensive brand-name gas and the lowliest gallon of no-brand fuel? Often just a quart of detergent added to an 8,000-gallon tanker truck."
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^^
thats true i took a college class and we watched a video on that, most if not all gas is mixed in the same pipeline, when they reach their destination companies such as shell, bp ect. then mix in ther "special" additives.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Stay away from Wawa!

I've personally seen gas from Wawa with an Ethanol content of 20%. (BTW VW's don't like 20%)

Shell and Texaco seem to be the best gas available in the Philadelphia area. I believe there is a Shell at 202/Township line rd.

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
Be careful with Wawa Premium unleaded fuel. They typically only carry 92 octane.
You have Wawa gas stations in Kansas???
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The previous posters have pretty much handled it. It all comes out of the same pipeline, and states require certain detergents and additives depending on the season. Some brands add additional, which may provide some benefit, but after running my last car for 140k miles on whatever was cheapest without a single engine problem over its entire life, I doubt it's substantial.

The only thing you have to be careful of is Ethanol content. At least here in Ohio, it's required that the amount of Ethanol in a station's gas be disclosed on the pumps, so it's easy to stay away from.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Ethanol is a great knock quencher so a little bit (~10%) is a good thing for pump gas cars. Also, do not add octane boosters.

For you fellow Midwesterners the best gas we can get around here is BP Ultimate (generally 92-octane; actually 92.8 octane to be exact).
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

yeah everywhere around here has 10% ethanol now....all the major gas brands....my mom had an accord and drove it for like 300,000 miles using cheapest gas she could find....it doesn't really hurt ur engine but her egr valve kept messing up getting clogged with carbon deposits....may happen anyway with "good" gas but might have happened less often.....to me gas is like oil...are u gonna use mobil 1 or castrol ....or are u gonna use some store brand cheap oil?....if u pay alot for a car u should prolly use the best stuff u can find right?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka
Ethanol is a great knock quencher so a little bit (~10%) is a good thing for pump gas cars. Also, do not add octane boosters.

For you fellow Midwesterners the best gas we can get around here is BP Ultimate (generally 92-octane; actually 92.8 octane to be exact).
Any proof to this? I would like to know because I can buy this gas, but thought it was the same as mobil/shell.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by aftershock141
Any proof to this? I would like to know because I can buy this gas, but thought it was the same as mobil/shell.
+1....

I'll do BP or Shell depending on which is more readilly available or cheaper. So why do you say BP?
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bradenp
Careful with sunoco... high amount of ethanol... not cool My dad has an aston, and the dealer said that use a good quality gas such a shell, and add an octane booster to get to 94+ octane. They said it was better then injecting your car with ethanol which is what a lot of gas companies to to make cheap 94 gas at the pumps
"octane booster to get to 94+ octane"

that is an awesome dealer advice!
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ice1874193
just read this on AAA

"Oil companies spend lots of money explaining why their gas is better than the competition's. Chevron's gas, for example, is fortified with "Techron," and Amoco Ultimate is supposed to save the planet along with your engine. But today more than ever, one gallon of gas is as good as the next.

True, additives help to clean your engine, but what the companies don't tell you is that all gas does so. Since 1994 the government has required that detergents be added to all gasoline to help prevent fuel injectors from clogging. State and local regulators keep a close watch to make sure those standards are met; in Florida inspectors checked 45,000 samples last year to ensure the state's gas supply was up to snuff, and 99% of the time it was. "There's little difference between brand-name gas and any other," says AAA spokesperson Geoff Sundstrom.

What's more, your local Chevron station may sell gas refined by Shell or Exxon Mobil. Suppliers share pipelines, so they all use the same fuel. And the difference between the most expensive brand-name gas and the lowliest gallon of no-brand fuel? Often just a quart of detergent added to an 8,000-gallon tanker truck."
"Often just a quart of detergent added to an 8,000-gallon tanker truck."

And that can make a night and day difference .
You don't need a lots of black widow poison to die , right ?
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:15 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
ConocoPhillips is supposed to be really good, and have a very high motor octane content (since motor octane is more important than research octane in detonation prevention). Their brands are:
Phillips 66
Conoco

If I can't get any of those, I usually go with Shell.

To support this, my IX was tuned on Phillips and it made really good power, but it would have slight events on other brands. I went back to Phillips, and the knock counts went away. After that, I tried to start tuning on Shell and driving on Phillips. Unfortunately, Phillips66 and 76 are really sparse around here. Conoco is plentiful south of here, but not in my area.

When I self-tuned my VIII, I always used Phillips 66.

I think you're decently good to go if you use any of the above and stay with a top tier gasoline, so you can extend the Shell recommendation to include Chevron and Exxon as well.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

What about BP 93 octane....
Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

i wouldn't recommend any octane booster crap....lol....what a joke....that's snake oil just like fuel injector cleaner....it's not needed...just use good brand name gas
Old Dec 22, 2008, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noize
ConocoPhillips is supposed to be really good, and have a very high motor octane content (since motor octane is more important than research octane in detonation prevention). Their brands are:
Phillips 66
Conoco

If I can't get any of those, I usually go with Shell.

To support this, my IX was tuned on Phillips and it made really good power, but it would have slight events on other brands. I went back to Phillips, and the knock counts went away. After that, I tried to start tuning on Shell and driving on Phillips. Unfortunately, Phillips66 and 76 are really sparse around here. Conoco is plentiful south of here, but not in my area.

When I self-tuned my VIII, I always used Phillips 66.

I think you're decently good to go if you use any of the above and stay with a top tier gasoline, so you can extend the Shell recommendation to include Chevron and Exxon as well.
Where I'm at the only "Name Brand" options are Shell and Conoco, with the occasional Phillips 66 here and there.

I always try to fill up with Shell when I can, but Conoco seems to have a monopoly on the region.

I've found the Shell to run MUCH better under boost compared to the Conoco. Every time I've run hard with a full tank of Conoco there's been a NOTICEABLE difference in power. Anyone else noticed any differences in performance between NAME brands? Or specifically Conoco and others?
Old Dec 22, 2008, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

i like shell... im all about the V-POWER haha

Quick Reply: Gas Brands