Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Gas Brands

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gas Brands

I don't know if there has been discussion about this lately but I've been wondering in the difference/quality of different gasoline brands.

Sunoco seem to be the most widely used.

Is there anything wrong with Lukoil, Mobil, Shell or Hess' 93 octane as far as how it works in the evo (i.e., producing knock, etc)?

In PA we have Wawa and Sheetz which are convenience stores that sell gas. I've read a post from someone who did some logging with Sheetz premium gas and ended up with 26 counts of knock on one pull.

Opinions/Info is greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be careful with Wawa Premium unleaded fuel. They typically only carry 92 octane.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

I usually just pick up whatever's cheaper between mobil and shell. I've been doing this with my RSX for a long while and haven't noticed any counts of knock when datalogging so I figure its ok.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

I always run shell. I havent done any logging or anything, but when these types of conversations come up, shell is one that is always mentioned as one of the best. I know a lot of people who strictly run Mobil too. I would love to hear anyones educated opinion on what gas is best.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

If your running high boost, cheap gas will 100% produce nocks.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always run shell.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

I run Sunoco or Hess.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:29 AM

Im really wondering about gas "brands". I work very close to a fuel depot in Orlando. There are semi tankers from all over the east coast going to it. So I see Kenan, Love's, and all sorts of different logos on the tankers. They all get their tanks filled from the same place that gets it's fuel from the same pipeline that originates in Texas.

I see the same tankers stopping at 7-11, Chevron, Racetrack, and filling the underground tanks there. Can't ever remember seeing the driver dumping any Techron or any other magic secret ingredient in with the gas he got up the street at the fuel depot.

Maybe I'm missing something. I almost always buy Sunoco but the more I think about it isn't gas just gas (grades aside and how much ethanol is in it)? Someone tell me cuz it's just not registering.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by supwiddiss
Maybe I'm missing something. I almost always buy Sunoco but the more I think about it isn't gas just gas (grades aside and how much ethanol is in it)? Someone tell me cuz it's just not registering.
Nope.... different brands have different additives. Not only that, but different states require other different additives. Like when Georgia had that gas shortage a little while ago, they had to temporarily allow gas to be tanked in from other states that they usually would not be allowed due to the lack of additives that Georgia requires.

Stick to the name brands: Shell, Mobil, Texaco, etc. I've seen where people have used lesser brands (like Diamond Shamrock in Texas) and gotten the same knock on 93 in Texas as I got on 91 Shell in Cali.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

i use chevron or texaco 93 octane...same gas with techron to keep deposits down...if i had to use another i would go with exxon or shell....awhile back during the gas crisis down here in the southeast only 87 octane was available for about 2 weeks so i had to use that and then add some race gas to bring the octane up a bit....just kinda took it easy until i could get some 93 back in there but i didn't have any problems
Old Dec 21, 2008, 01:05 PM

Husky here runs 94 octane =D
Old Dec 21, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

here in Hawaii, we have 92... With prices at $2.49+ still for premium, I just go on one of the Military bases and get gas from there. It's only $2.19 for 92 on base. But if you go to Costco, it's still cheaper than everyone else... I think it's like $2.09 right now at Costco...
Old Dec 21, 2008, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i filled up at a small gas station with their 93 octane and i swear under hard boost it didn't seem or sound happy. i felt bad ever since. so i am extra picky about what i run. just by my experience...no logging or anything but it seems happier with shell's 93 than sunoco's. i just wanted to know if there was some solid evidence for this or it's all in my head.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 01:58 PM
Account Disabled

what about the gas stations QT??? they are everywheere here in omaha and i usually fill up there..
Old Dec 21, 2008, 03:07 PM

Careful with sunoco... high amount of ethanol... not cool My dad has an aston, and the dealer said that use a good quality gas such a shell, and add an octane booster to get to 94+ octane. They said it was better then injecting your car with ethanol which is what a lot of gas companies to to make cheap 94 gas at the pumps

Quick Reply: Gas Brands