Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

So theres this damn rattling noise ........

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So theres this damn rattling noise ........

Well it seems like theres always a new problem .. and i dont feel like paying a mechanic all this money to temporarily fix something small ..

so i recently got my 30,000 mile service .... which i honestly regret ( $600 total , $250 parts, $300 labor, and $50 tax ) ...

but anyway... i picked it up and now theres a little rattling noise somewhere, that rattles sometimes.... it sounds like somethings loose inside somewhere. it also always rattles alot when rpms go to like exactly 3100 rpms.....has anyone ever had this problem...if not , does anyone think its something small or is it something major ???

im gonna be going to the dealer this week so they can check it out ...
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:04 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It would help greatly if folks knew where your rattle was coming from.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 06:11 AM

its coming from the front somewhere ??
Old Dec 31, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

well you gave us zero information, did you even take the time to truely investigate or you want us to spoon feed you random advice until you go to the dealer anyhow? lol.

so please dont react this my post like a baby. instead thoroughly investigate and give us more feedback on when it started, whats your mod level, where you may THINK the sound is coming from etc.

heres first random advice, make sure your front plates arent rattling
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like they left something or didn't tighten something correctly, etc.

This is why you do the maintenence yourself (or someone you trust and know well) to prevent crap like this + save money.

Best bet is to just try and narrow down the area your hearing the rattle from, look around, and post back.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:24 PM

well, i didnt start it.. but i've got a rattle too.. i've had it for a while.. and i've sorta gotten used to it.. anyways sounds like it right behind the dash or firewall on the drivers side.. doesnt rattle when i apply throttle, only at idle.. and i cant hear it from the outside.. (engine noise covers it up?) i know that evos are noise ******.. just wondering if anybody else had this problem. thanks
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im currently dealing w/ a similar issue. Mine rattles @ 2500 rpm every time! Only @ 2500! It sounds like its coming from the DP/HFC area. I have had my DP for over a year now, and just started hearing this rattling a month or so ago...

Im working on getting a new Jack that lifts more than 11" so I can actually get under the car... lol
It appears that it could possibly be the 2nd tie bar against the DP, but cant actually get far enough under there to confirm... The first tie bar looks like it has enough space between the two, but there is less space inbetween the second tie bar.
(Evo IX)
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:54 PM

yeah. i'm going to have to get under also i guess.. have a stock dp so i dont think thats my problem.. i've gotten under while its not running and looked for loose heat shields ect. tightned up anything that might make a noise.. still have the problem.. so, like i said, i've just kinda learned to ignore it.. untill i cant, then i want to rip a)my hair out and b) every piece of my car apart untill it frigging stops
Old Dec 31, 2008, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

i had the same rattling noise...but its gone now after i took it to my shop...they probably tightened something...it came from the DP/cat area...mustve been a lose bolt.

and fyi sometimes these dealers like to be dicks and leave little but inconvenient mistakes so u can take it back and feed them more money
Old Dec 31, 2008, 03:59 PM

yeah well...my car has no mods.....so yeah my noise is behind the dash on the drivers sside....it only happens on idle and at 3500 rpms..
Old Dec 31, 2008, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

drivers side? well u can sort of rule out the DP/cat area.

hmmm....
Old Dec 31, 2008, 06:02 PM

anywhere else we could post this? or another thread that talks about it that i could find the culprit?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Does the rattle sound like something from the engine or like a screw or bolt is bouncing around somewhere. I lost so many screws/bolts in my S10 when I was a kid...I just accepted the noise but it wasn't bad at all.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Try pushing the clutch pedal in and out at idle to see if the rattle goes away. If it does, it's probably the input shaft. Also, whoever has an aftermarket DP and has a rattle, it might be on the sway bar. They make a sway bar that bends over the DP area for bigger DP.

Last edited by bsander; Jan 1, 2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 05:57 PM

UPDATE *** took it to mitsu where i got my service done .... turns out it was a loose heat shield .... covered under the 30 day warranty... thanks for the replies guys...

Quick Reply: So theres this damn rattling noise ........