Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New to the EVO world

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the EVO world

Hey guys new member here. I am a mazda rotary freak . I have built many high horsepower rotaries and still do. I currently own a 481 whp 91' Mazda rx7. Garret t70, Microtech lt10s, enough fuel to power a cessna airplane and a mean Large street port 13b.

I am a Moderator at rx7club.com where I am well known and now I am crossing over to the awd platforms. I am not giving up on my rotaries I just need something with more room and reliable to use as my daily.

So basically I been doing my homework looking at prices,kbb,ebay, and other websites to see how much 2002-2006 EVOs are selling for. Now what I want to do is nick pick what are some of the main issues and problems of the evo.

I do plan on simple bolt ons but thats about it, I am sick of driving a high horsepower car on the streets. Did i mention my rx7 is at only 16lbs of boost. LOL

Anyways I have a couple of buddies here and soon they will be bashing me for coming to the darkside BUT I AM NOT LEAVING MY ROTARIES
Old Jan 1, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome!

PS - 2003-2006 is the 8-9
Old Jan 1, 2009, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome!
Old Jan 1, 2009, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez
Anyways I have a couple of buddies here and soon they will be bashing me for coming to the darkside BUT I AM NOT LEAVING MY ROTARIES
The darkside is pretty nice. I keep my FD for messing around with.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Is it true that RX-7 has reliability issue even when it is left stock? I heard this from a evo owner who used to own 2 RX-7

btw, welcome to the evo community, evo is the best all around car for street driving, winter driving and family sedan.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fugiwara
Is it true that RX-7 has reliability issue even when it is left stock?
3rd-gens have the most problems when they're left completely stock. My turbo 2nd-gen had 140k miles on it before it had a coolant seal leak.

If you treat a rotary right (i.e. clean oil, and cool) then they'll last for a long time.

Last edited by alex4nder; Jan 1, 2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Welcome. You play Baseball as well?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Reth IX MR
Welcome. You play Baseball as well?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the love guys

Well I am off on saturday to Florida and i will be checking a 05 out 17k with 67k miles on it,

This all the info I have so far, thanks to Jesse

the evo 9 is better in alot of ways compared to the 8.. it has the mivec engine which gives you more horsepower per mod, has ACD (active center differential), has a front LSD, a bigger turbo, more power, nicer interior....you get the point lol......

or at the very least, get an 05'.. it also has the ACD, and front LSD... but retains the smaller turbo and no mivec...

you should be pretty safe enginewise as these motors are pretty bulletproof... but keep an eye on the clutch and tranny... they are the weakpoints of the evo...... if you need any help deciding on a specific model, here is the rundown

rs.. baddest of the badass...

gsr... the basic model with many options

mr... waste of money... 6-speed is weaker than the 5-speed, and the wheels and suspension will be swapped anyways.. so nothing really worth the markup

SE... you could get the mr or the gsr in the "special edition" package... this is a cool option because it gives you the red stitched interior which is just sexy as hell and the SE lip... if the package is on the gsr, it basically turns the gsr into an MR SE w/ a 5-speed

Last edited by Alex Rodriguez; Jan 2, 2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez
Thanks for the love guys

Well I am off on saturday to Florida and i will be checking a 05 out 17k with 67k miles on it,

This all the info I have so far, thanks to Jesse

the evo 9 is better in alot of ways compared to the 8.. it has the mivec engine which gives you more horsepower per mod, has ACD (active center differential), has a front LSD, a bigger turbo, more power, nicer interior....you get the point lol......

or at the very least, get an 05'.. it also has the ACD, and front LSD... but retains the smaller turbo and no mivec...

you should be pretty safe enginewise as these motors are pretty bulletproof... but keep an eye on the clutch and tranny... they are the weakpoints of the evo...... if you need any help deciding on a specific model, here is the rundown

rs.. baddest of the badass...

gsr... the basic model with many options

mr... waste of money... 6-speed is weaker than the 5-speed, and the wheels and suspension will be swapped anyways.. so nothing really worth the markup

SE... you could get the mr or the gsr in the "special edition" package... this is a cool option because it gives you the red stitched interior which is just sexy as hell and the SE lip... if the package is on the gsr, it basically turns the gsr into an MR SE w/ a 5-speed
Sounds like you got it down pretty good. The 05 evo has the bigger hot side on the turbo as the 9s do.

Good luck man
Old Jan 2, 2009, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

As far as the tranny, what are the common problems or noises?

For example on a rx7- the syncros on the fd3s tranny usually go so it will grind badly at high rpms on 2nd and 5th

on a fc3s, the pivot ***** usually break due to high horsepower or the syncros will go , 2nd,3rd, and 5th usually grind bad

What about the clutches on the evos are they usually low or high when they are factory
Old Jan 2, 2009, 02:15 PM

Welcome mate...
you'll find more interestin things abt the evo's