Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

neons, what colors are illegal?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2009, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's extremely ricey for an evo. Please don't do it. If you must, go with white. A lot of show cars do well with white.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Don't get neons, they are no bueno. Why not get some sick projectors or LED tails and attract attention at night that way?
Its your money, but like previously mentioned, gravel, etc will crack the bulbs. Its like throwing money at a stripper that you won't get to be with at the end of the day.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

local laws can outlaw any color because those colors are RESERVED for other things

i.e. blue and white lights for police forces and such
red and green and white for emergency or EMT vehicles
yellow for state police and other high end police depts.

basically the only legal color ur left with is purple :-P...at least here in NYC
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not too into the neons, but whatever you like is alright!!!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

WOW!!!!! Neon lights.. interesting
Old Jan 23, 2009, 02:27 PM

Reconsider

Think about some other mods that you could do to your car that you would enjoy a lot more than neons. Try a cold air intake. I think you've got a lancer right? If you've got an evo PLEASE do not put neons on it.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IAmADirtDude
sorry bro you got involved in a forum where 95% of the people are ****ing dicks and flame you, instead of answering your question. i see there's only one normal reply. rock what you like, my evo puts out 390hp and i had green underglow. they can flame my car all they want cuz most people don't have anything like my car other than the ****** on this forum. it looked really good but, is a pain in the *** to keep from breaking bulbs from daily driving. rocks and all that ****, you end up needing a bulb every month or two so i ripped mine off and thats what i hear most people do. put it on and rip it off. good luck and **** all you flaming ******. ****ing so tired of it man. keep pushing everyone out of the scene instead of bringin people in. it's bull****
Has anyone attempted to use a mylar covering to protect the bulbs? lexand is a clear plastic which is relatively cheap and is bullet proof at 1/4" thick <-- please to test me on that its just a factoid I remember from my robotics days)

Since under body neons have been done in the movies its been "passe" to do it but whatever if you want neons on your EVO put em on! its your EVO do what you want!

Personally its not for me, plus regardless of whether the neons are legal or not the Police are going to give you a hard time regardless, so make sure at least you have a kill switch to turn them off when you need to. One feature I've seen is where the Neons are linked to the break lights, therefore when your breaking or at a stoplight they are on and when in motion they are off.

And getting to the question of the thread, Basically from my understand and as is iterated in the previous responses underbody lights while driving are basically a no-no anywhere in the US.

Last edited by WolvieDC; Apr 22, 2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:12 PM

Too much attention for daily driver

Hey, express your individuality, it's your car after all, but if you do leave any type of underbody lighting on while driving, be ready to be hassled by practically every cop that sees your car.

I live in NYC and I used to have underbody LEDs on my 3000GT, and it gave every cop an excuse to pull me over and hassle me. I ended up removing them, because this was becoming a once or twice a week thing.... was not worth the frustration.

With that being said, if you still want underbody lighting, go with LEDs.... you can have multiple colors with single installation and different light pattern. They are much more durable against damage and they have less problems in general. I think it's pretty cool for a show car, if done right.