Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Affording a Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As an 18 year old with basically your entire adult life ahead of you, you need to not be tied down with too high of payments. You're not going to have that much disposable income for a while. You need to be able to use what you do have to be able to afford a decent place to live and other comforts of life that will be way too hard to maintain tied down with a high car payment and insurance.

Would you rather rent a room from a creepy old dude and drive an evo until somebody steals it because you had to rent in such a scummy part of town from lack of funds or Have your own party pad, wheels, and money to have fun?

Get a cool hobby car like an old used 240/280z for a couple of thousand for now and pay a student loan instead of a car payment.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey man i know how you feel! i just turned 19 ten days ago and im trying soo hard to save up to buy one (working at a subway part time making 5 doller foot longs for d bags isnt helping). but i just realized that if i buy this car and i need my mom's help to pay insu or car payment, she cant help me.but insurence is not a big problem for me bcus i can put it under my brother's name. ( my infiniti is under his name).

so then i thaught why not a wrx/sti?. so i did some searching and found some bugeyes for under 12k that are in great condition and most of them were stock. i know this is a evo forum and what not but thats something to think about. i mean you still get a tubro car with AWD that you can use to learn more about launching and drag racing, auto x, road racing etc.Then when you are older and have a better paying job sell the subie and get a evo and you will be an experienced driver who has more knowlegde about turbo's and cluthes, and transmission and what not. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by dineth00i30; Jan 12, 2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:31 PM

i hate to say it, because i was once in your EXACT same shoes, but everyone here is pretty right man..

i knew i couldn't get one on my own, so i had to rely on my parents to co-sign, and in their infinite wisdom they knew better than too sign and i thank them now for doing so - not only would i of probably killed myself with the evo, there is no way i could of afforded it comfortably and probably would of had to rely on them to pay eventually

i am 22 years old now, and about two years ago i picked up an IS300 - the first car I have paid for, and looking back i wouldn't of done it any other way.. i was able to pay for the IS300 and still have more than enough money to go out and do things with my girlfriend and friends..

in a nutshell, get a car you can comfortably afford that requires low maintenance, enjoy being 18, and use the leftover money to save up for the evo down the road
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by smoke
...save up for a house like the others said.. a car is a depreciating asset. your house will still hold value 30 years from now, but not your car unless you have a vintage.
Haha, Sorry but have you seen the economy lately? Just had to laugh for a second. Tons of people are taking an *** raping because they can't afford their adjustable rate and the housing market is sittin with the bottom feeders...

Great time to buy btw, terrible time to sell.

I can remember trying to finance a car with my parents years ago, I dont blame them for doing what they did.

Im 23, 05 WRX and trying to sell for what... an evo. Funny my payments are exactly what they would have been... no idea why i didnt just push for the damn evo.
Ive already owned one house, sold it. I met the girl of my dreams, have our little one Addison and currently looking for another house.

My advice would be to let the cards fall as they will. If you force it, things have a way of turning around and kicking you. Especially when youre down.

Save up a bunch, youll need it to get past the ghosty credit and young age. Try picking up an investment, figure out a way to MAKE money, buy cheap and sell high. Ive got a few investments going that could almost make my car payment if I did them steady. My dad picked up hubcabs when he was a kid and sold them for big $. I part cars and dabble in houses. When youre broke and REALLY want something, get creative. Find new ways to do something. Theres usually a way to turn it into a business.
Anyway, my suggestion, if you cant get an evo. Get a DSM. ****, my first car I ever paid for myself was a 90 Eagle Talon TSI AWD, the car was an effing rust bomb. But the engine was great, the price was great and it was overall, a great buy.
Sold it for like 7 times? what I bought it for.
DSMs are essentially evo's from another era. If you like the sleeper look Get a GVR4... man I love those cars.
I'm tired. enough rambling.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Get the college degree. It will allow you to buy the Evo, and so much more. Trust me.
I have two college degrees...I have the Evo, but having some trouble buying so much more...
Old Jan 29, 2009, 01:12 AM
Evolving Member

I'm 21 and a full time student. I was planning on waiting until i had a career to buy an evo but one day I see my friend was selling his 03. It needed a clutch and had been sitting for two years. Which kept the mileage decent at 41000. I really saw it as my chance to get one sooner. I gathered a down payment, got a loan at 8%, and bought my first evo. I got it for 13k and its almost all on a loan and I pay 309 a month. Insurance ended up being way more than I was quoted at $2350 a year. No way I was turning back at that point, I already put an act in it and drove it 1000 miles all in 10 days of it being in my possession, I was hooked. So I got a bunch of quotes and ended up picking up a Mighty max for $500 that needed a head but only had 65k miles on it. I fixed that up and threw it on insurance, now I pay 1750 a year. So I basically got the truck for what I was saving in insurance and now I have a daily that runs on 87 and takes $250 set of tires and next to no maintenance.

My point is, I wanted one when I was 16 and decided college was priority one and I couldn't do both so I put it on hold and now I got the car I wanted then and I'm in a much better situation and get to really enjoy the car and keep the miles off it until I get a career and start modding it immediately. So like others have said, just let it come to you. Work hard but don't force it and you'll be much happier in the end.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

holy s***, u guys are struggling... to the op , just join the armed forces..seriously u work at subway... i used to work crappy part times too till i joined... dont get me wrong i hate every single day im in the g*y a$$ army, and i am currently deployed to the middle east.... however i just went home on mid-tour leave and bought a 06 gg mr cash which helps with insurance, cause u dont have to get full cover, got married (10k) and bought a house with my va loan... ohh btw, all college students out there, im in my sophomore year in college about to transfer to the university of south florida, oh yeah all for freee.... again im not a recruiter cause i hate the military, but it gets u results.... hope this helps...