Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Modding for Dummies!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2003, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Modding for Dummies!!!

I'm new to the world of high performance turbo-powered cars and am a bit naive to the science of modifying. You guys seem to know a ton of stuff and sometimes I am completely lost!!!

I was wondering if anyone can provide a basic, objective Modding 101 for the EVO. Perhaps listing some basic modifications, their purpose, their advantages (i.e. more power, etc.), their disadvantages (all - even the ones you couldn't care less about - i.e. reliability, emissions of certain types of pollutants, drivability, cost, etc.). Imagine you are teaching a University Class!!!! I realize there lots of possible permutations, so I guess sticking to some basic, common ones are a good place to start.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Sep 13, 2003, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some good mods to start out with are simple things like a 3" turbo-back exhaust, an air/fuel controller, intake, and a manaul or electronic boost controller.
Old Sep 13, 2003, 01:29 PM

dont forget about that nice little luxurious clutch line that will save your clutches life in the long run because it will provide you with more direct feel.
Old Sep 13, 2003, 01:30 PM

Best thing you can do with your car (this goes for pretty much any car) ... is learn how to drive it. Instead of spending money right away for new aftermarket parts and gizmos, go for a weekend to your local track or pay 50$ for a saturday at an autocross. I can almost guarantee that youll be faster if its your first time. Besides, why mess up your warantee?
Old Sep 13, 2003, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by SharkyM3
Best thing you can do with your car (this goes for pretty much any car) ... is learn how to drive it. Instead of spending money right away for new aftermarket parts and gizmos, go for a weekend to your local track or pay 50$ for a saturday at an autocross. I can almost guarantee that youll be faster if its your first time. Besides, why mess up your warantee?
That's exactly why I want to find out more of the how's and why's as opposed to the What's about the mods. Right now, I have no plans to do anything since I'm not educated enough yet about them.

BTW..next summer I plan to take a driving school class.
Old Sep 13, 2003, 01:58 PM

definately driving school or a local autocross...you will be faster and much safer if you learn the dynamics of car control...it's a hell of alot of fun to see yourself become a better and smoother driver as well...just my 2 cents worth
Old Sep 13, 2003, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Ya I agree after taking my EVO out in the canyons and seeing what it can do in stolk trim I plan on keeping my car relatively stolk so I (A) can keep my warranty and (B) dont mess up a good thing. I upgraded my car with a full 3' cat back exhaust meaning stolk down pipe and cat then 3' out the back. This mod will probably be my only to the car the car is so good stolk. The new exhaust made a huge improvement as well low end on the car feels more peppy and drivable no big dead spot before boost and I can here my car now so its easire on the track to know what part of the RPM range I am without taking my eyes off the road. The only other mods I think the EVO needs it good set of guages and turbo timer. I have a set of 4 defi BF guages to monitor BOOST,Water temp,Oil temp,Oil pressure

Just go drive your car at a track and see where u would like to make it better and then mod but 9 times out of 10 u will not want to change anything its just that great of a car.

just my .02

CHRIS
Old Sep 13, 2003, 02:34 PM

But don't you mess up your warranty just taking it to the track or autocross??? BTW, what is a cat back exhaust supposed to do??
EVO-Bill, why are you recommending these as mods, at least over other mods?
Old Sep 13, 2003, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Well those r the modes I first did on my car. In my opinion, it's freeing up power that the motor has. How many people actually go road racing or autox. But anyways, I'm just trying to help him out.
Old Sep 13, 2003, 04:06 PM

EVO-Bill:

I guess you have the only Evo 8 TME in the world. What, is he personally building it for you?
Old Sep 13, 2003, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Phillyevo7
EVO-Bill:

I guess you have the only Evo 8 TME in the world. What, is he personally building it for you?
hehe...
Old Sep 13, 2003, 09:32 PM

But don't you mess up your warranty just taking it to the track or autocross???
Not if they dont find out

How many people actually go road racing or autox.
Everyone who takes pride in learning how to drive their fast cars.... fast. Whats the point of having a sports car and putting mods on your car to make it go faster if you dont know how to drive it.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by SharkyM3

Whats the point of having a sports car and putting mods on your car to make it go faster if you dont know how to drive it.
Hear hear!
Old Sep 14, 2003, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by Abestyle2109
dont forget about that nice little luxurious clutch line that will save your clutches life in the long run because it will provide you with more direct feel.
Who has more information on this?
Old Sep 14, 2003, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jEzTeR
Who has more information on this?
There's a big article over in tech

Quick Reply: Modding for Dummies!!!