Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

To coat or not to coat (my downpipe)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To coat or not to coat (my downpipe)

So I got my downpipe for Christmas (DC Sports super long dp that replaces the cat section as well to a test pipe). I haven't installed it yet because I thought it would be pointless to do so during winter here in the Midwest. I'm going to install it this coming spring. I have a friend that works at a shop that does powdercoating. He's been trying to get me to bring the downpipe in to get coated. I posted on a local thread and some people think it's a waste of money.

What does EVOm think? I thought I could reduce engine bay temps. Since my friend works there I would be able to get a discount. Thoughts?
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:35 AM
Account Disabled

No need to coat your downpipe waste of money some people wrap it with thremo wrap but waste and no addded benfit.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:38 AM

definitely a waste of money to powdercoat
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

the only things worth coating in the exhaust system is the manifold and hotside of the turbo. even then I wouldnt powdercoat them, I'd get them jet hot coated
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Don't get it powdercoated - get it Swain coated. The stock downpipe has a heat shield - it runs beneath the oil pan.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:10 AM
Account Disabled

No point swain coating will probably cost him the same price as a new downpipe.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My downpipe is coated by Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA ($60) They did inside and outside the downpipe. I've touched it after going for a drive many times and it never very hot. Hard WOT drives is different though. I'd imagine, being right next to the oilpan, it wouldn't heat the pan up as much as a non-coated downpipe would.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same DP, uncoated, no issues. As you put it in make sure it isn't touching the transfer case housing. If it does you can search my posts, i found a simple fix.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 12:33 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter
So I got my downpipe for Christmas (DC Sports super long dp that replaces the cat section as well to a test pipe). I haven't installed it yet because I thought it would be pointless to do so during winter here in the Midwest. I'm going to install it this coming spring. I have a friend that works at a shop that does powdercoating. He's been trying to get me to bring the downpipe in to get coated. I posted on a local thread and some people think it's a waste of money.

What does EVOm think? I thought I could reduce engine bay temps. Since my friend works there I would be able to get a discount. Thoughts?
I think you're meaning Ceramic Coating because Powdercoating your exhaust components is fruitless. Now you may ask..

Why do I need Ceramic Thermal Barrier Coatings on my exhaust system?
Ceramic Thermal coatings keep your manifolds, headers, exhaust pipes and mufflers from corroding or rusting. Coatings also retain heat within the exhaust system which give you a much cooler underhood temperature. A cooler intake charge means more horsepower. By retaining heat within the system, you create a scavenging effect which gives you more power.

Secondly, you may ask...

Are Ceramic Thermal Barriers Coatings the same as powder coatings?
The only similarity is that they are both baked-on finishes. Powder coatings are baked at 425 degrees to melt the powder to a smooth finish. You must never get it that hot again, or it will burn off. Powder coating is basically very tough paint that is available in almost any color. Ceramic thermal barrier coatings were developed by NASA and the aerospace industry thirty years ago, for thermal insulation on rocket and jet engines. The coatings are applied in liquid form, cured, then baked at a high temperature. Ceramic thermal barrier coatings are formulated to retain heat and withstand much higher temperatures.

Old Feb 3, 2009, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the input. I think I decided not to powdercoat it.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wrap it ...
Old Feb 3, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cij911
Wrap it ...
That does sound like a better alternative.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Coat it, then wrap it.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

here maybe this will help
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ipe-not-3.html
Old Feb 5, 2009, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldnt wrap it. Ceramic coating is the way to go. I had the UR wrapped downpipe before and it would always get wet and stink.

Quick Reply: To coat or not to coat (my downpipe)