Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo VIII vs Evo IX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it's like drugs fellas... a never ending addiction.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ameen77
My thoughts, the MIVEC and the bigger turbo of the IX is worth the extra money... i see many people with evos older than the ix and want to get the ix turbo in their cars...
It is a power thing. for 4-500 bucks for a good IX turbo, it will net you 30-40 more hp, with stock-like spool. For some that is perfectly fine. If you want to break 400s, upgraded turbo is more than likely needed, regardless of Evo 8 or 9. This does not include Nitrous.

In regard to the previous posts about needing cams on an 8 to reach 300...that is a farst. I made 300 awhp on down pipe, stock cat, catback, K&N Dropin filter, flash and 21 psi. A test pipe would have definately bumped me over as well as a solid good tune.

The key is the maintenance. If you keep the car in tip top shape, then it will be easier to extract hp.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

The VIII has a 5 speed the IX has a 6 speed trans, the 5 speed trans is faster and offers less shifting on the track. The IX guys use the gears from the VIII trans to improve their 1/4 mile time. The MIVEC decides how to adjust your timing instead of your tuner. IX guys sometimes swap into the VIII head to eliminate the MIVEC. The IX has the ACD, the VIII has the 50-50 split center diff, which was used in the Rally championship cars and is beefy. AMS's TA-1 is an VIII and uses the 5 speed. The IX has the leather recaro option. IX doesn't have intercooler sprayer, because the ACD uses that space. IX weighs more. Might be missing some things but they are pretty much the same besides those things.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 02:09 PM
Account Disabled

casper's incorrect on quite a few things....

the MR's have the 6-speeds, which was first offered in 05 (VIII and IX). The RS/GSR has the 5-speed. The IX's gear ratios in the 5-speed are a bit different than the 5-speed in the 03-05.. the IX trans has a bit shorter gearing.
A tuner can modify the MIVEC tables in the IX. I don't think you can swap the VIII and IX head as there is another oil passage for the MIVEC gear (correct me on that one if I'm wrong, I think AMS might sell a kit). The ACD was offered on 05-06 Evos, not just the IX. The SSL package which offers black leather seats was available from 04-06 (VIII and IX). The 05 VIII doesn't have the IC sprayer, neither does the IX.

bottom line is this... both great cars, the IX makes a bit more power in stock form, and with bolt ons.. not just peak power, but more midrange power due mostly to the MIVEC. If your plan is for a mildly modified street car, the IX is a better bet. Obviously it has to fit into the budget. BE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GETTING! Always purchase your Evo from a knowledgable seller as it can get expensive in a hurry if things are not up to snuff!

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you find your Evo!

Caleb
Old Feb 8, 2009, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by casper980
The VIII has a 5 speed the IX has a 6 speed trans, the 5 speed trans is faster and offers less shifting on the track. The IX guys use the gears from the VIII trans to improve their 1/4 mile time.
The 2005 Evo VIII MR is also equipped with a 6 speed and ACD. The IX GSR's are equipped with a 5 speed. Only the MR's are equipped with a 6 speed transmission.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 02:24 PM

get an 8 use extra cash for mods
Old Feb 9, 2009, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the corrections guys, I just wanted to give him info that I wasn't seeing.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD_Caleb
casper's incorrect on quite a few things....

the MR's have the 6-speeds, which was first offered in 05 (VIII and IX). The RS/GSR has the 5-speed. The IX's gear ratios in the 5-speed are a bit different than the 5-speed in the 03-05.. the IX trans has a bit shorter gearing.
A tuner can modify the MIVEC tables in the IX. I don't think you can swap the VIII and IX head as there is another oil passage for the MIVEC gear (correct me on that one if I'm wrong, I think AMS might sell a kit). The ACD was offered on 05-06 Evos, not just the IX. The SSL package which offers black leather seats was available from 04-06 (VIII and IX). The 05 VIII doesn't have the IC sprayer, neither does the IX.

bottom line is this... both great cars, the IX makes a bit more power in stock form, and with bolt ons.. not just peak power, but more midrange power due mostly to the MIVEC. If your plan is for a mildly modified street car, the IX is a better bet. Obviously it has to fit into the budget. BE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GETTING! Always purchase your Evo from a knowledgable seller as it can get expensive in a hurry if things are not up to snuff!

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you find your Evo!

Caleb
THIS

End Thread

Once you go big turbo the gap between VIII and IX power output closes greatly. In most cases non existent.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

If you're going to DD, get the IX

So far, I've owned an VIII, VIII MR, and now a IX MR.

If you're going to keep completely stock, and daily drive, get a IX MR if you can afford it. It's BY FAR the best daily driver of the group. You think to yourself that those can't be that much different, but trust me, driven back to back, these cars might as well be different cars from different makers.

The IX is a better daily driver than any of the VIII's due to seats - period. Sit in each one for an hour each, and get back to me on that. The "sport cloth" in the VIII's feels like sandpaper after an eight hour drive (drove from Virginia to Illinois once in the VIII MR). Notably - I DO NOT have experience with the SSL package "leather" seats.

I left both the VIII, VIII MR, and IX MR stock for quite a while, and tracked ALL of them, and daily drove all of them. The MR has been king of the group, and now I've modded it, and daily drive it to and from work every day, and drive it down to VIR with my Hoosiers in the back seat for trackdays, and back home, and off to work the next morning.

So, that's just my $0.02. There are LOTS of great arguments if you're going to throw in Mods. VERY few of the IX's advantages cannot be overcome by an VIII with very thoughtful modifications, but out of the box you'll be much happier with a IX. I was.

Shawn
Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

If you can afford to spend the extra cash, buy an IX. To ME, the IX is more comfortable to drive in, due mostly to the nice new leather recaro's however. The ride also feels smoother than when I drove an VIII.

If not, get an VIII. Its still an evo, none the less.
Its a f@cK1Ng!!! Kick *** car!!

Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

cant lose with either one man. no big differance. and you can get 300 hp without cams by the way. correct me if im wrong but arent the 2 fastest evos in the world 8's lol