Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Anyone wish they got an STi?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i orginally thought i wanted a STI. drove it, didnt love it like i thought i was going to. drove an evo juts for the hell of it and immediately felt at home. i placed an order for my 2005 ww ssl on the spot
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:31 PM

I say Evo, love Sti's tho but they have there problems as the 07's and early 08's tunes are ****ty as hell and what the pistons are made out of, they tend to crack the ringlands on #4 piston. Its just time and it WILL happen if you have the stock tune and any mods at all or even stock. Happen to a friends 07, and the older sti's had the problem of the oil pick up tube cracking and breaking off.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:02 PM

for the longest time i wanted an STi but that was b/c there was virtually no Evo around here i only knew one guy that owned one and it was a 8 at the time, then when i turned 19 i test drove a WRX and due to my young age and lack of credit i had to postpone my dream of getting a "performance" car, later when i turned 23 and i had both cash and credit i went on the hunt for a car and on the same day i test drove a brand new WRX, a 2005 STi and then an evo IX in the afternoon all of them stock. Long story short as soon as i got out of the parking lot with the Evo i was like " I want this one!". on a side note both the guy at the dealer where i got the evo and the one where i test drove the subarus were like " drive it like you would drive your own car" lol
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

got oil problems ????????? cause evos dont
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Although I love STI's my true love is for evo's and that is where it will stay. Only thing the subaru has got which I wish my evo had is that great boxer rumble.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

WTF...I don't think so
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

im not going go say Sti are bad cars. But me and my evo was just love at first sight! I wouldnt trade my evo for no sti! never!!

EVO FTWWWW
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

I have also owned both and while I liked certain things about my STi better, for me it was a no brainer once I drove the Evo. As stated it is more "Raw", makes you feel like you are part of the car, better driving experience, better community by far in my experience, and less hassle to mod.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

attractive things about the sti are the low-end grunt from the 2.5, the fact that you can make 3 point turns, the more solid, less tin-can feeling, and that's about it..
in every other area, the evo shines, so that's why I bought it. And my next mod will be cruise control and I'm sure I'll be 100% satisfied.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

For almost a year I hunted for an STI, I flew to Boston with my friend and picked up his EVO, and I drove it home for 6 hours of the trip, I loved the car so much, but I figured, "na, STI's are for me, the EVO is more powerful, but the STI is better for off road purposes and abusive driving. So I hunted and hunted for one, and it seemed impossible to get approved for one through banks, and I had almost given up.

I would come here on Evom once in a while and just poke around, and found a IX SE w/ 6k miles for 24,900 and I knew I had to have it for some reason, so I literally did everything I had to to get it, had my employer stretch the truth on my yearly gross, etc, and ended up buying an EVO when I never thought I wanted one, I figured I could buy it, and if I didn't like it, easily trade it with an STI owner who wanted an EVO. However I flew to Nebraska and picked the car up, and as soon as I left his house, I knew it was something I'd fall in love with like never before. I've had it for 5 months and put 7k miles on it and couldn't be happier. When the snow got here, I had the best couple nights of my life in it, and when the summer gets here, I'll track it and feel that way again.

Sometimes I goto iwsti and wonder if I should maybe get an STI, but for now I'm way too happy still, just a simple E85 tune and I'll be at 400 whp..... simply can't do that with an STI, but maybe someday I'll get one. Either way they both are amazing, but I'm sure I'll be wishing I had one once something ****s up.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by haulass221
I say Evo, love Sti's tho but they have there problems as the 07's and early 08's tunes are ****ty as hell and what the pistons are made out of, they tend to crack the ringlands on #4 piston. Its just time and it WILL happen if you have the stock tune and any mods at all or even stock. Happen to a friends 07, and the older sti's had the problem of the oil pick up tube cracking and breaking off.
Searched and searched for an '07 Sti. Then I heard about the problems they were having and couldn't get a good deal on a new one. Found a new SE Evo cheaper than the Subie and glad I went to the Darkside since then.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 01:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hear STi owners can change their own sparkplugs .... In less than 8 hours.

On topic: I drove an STi, I drove an Evo, the choice was obvious from the start... There's kind of a nice example here in Slovenia where a guy owns a Subaru dealership and he's a professional rally driver... He drives an Evo.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 01:36 AM

Everytime when I drive my buddies STi in a straight line... but as soon as it comes down to go around corners fast, I want my evo back...and well...STi's are better known as "porsche for the poor" here in switzerland
Old Feb 12, 2009, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

No, Despite most ppl loving the boxer rumble. I'm in the minority of ppl that think they sound like a lawnmower w/ an exhuast leak. If they didn't cost your soul to make fast and weren't a pita to work on I might have considered buying one. Plus coming from a list of DSMs it's kind of natural to follow where ever the 4G63 goes. Whether or not you give up the sty? or not just have fun w/ it.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stiftwevo
Sorry about the title i meant, "Anyone wish they got an STi?"

Well to make a long story short.. I wanted to get an EVO, but one of my friends changed my mind and decided get go with the STi. I was thinking ok they are GENERALLY more reliable then a EVO.. I noticed they hold there value a little bit better so i bought the STi. Well i have had it for almost a year now.. I bought it with a CBE, and Cobb v2. I just modded it heavyly and for some reason i still want an EVO. I know some people that are vice vursea.. My one friend got a EVO9 2 months later got an 2007 STi and loves it way more...

The only reason in the first place i didn't get an EVO was bec i test drove to from dealers and they both had tran's problems.. I just really want an EVO..

"PLZ i don't want to start any EVO vs STi fights in this thread just wondering if anyone else has this feeling ever."
I'm glad you brought this topic up. I wish I could've bought the 2007 STi along with my Evo. At the end, if I bought the STi over an Evo, than I would've regretted the decision much more compared to buying my Evo over the STi.

Originally Posted by RunRunRun
I wish I bought a different Evo. Does that count?
+1. I wish I would've bought the 5 speed IX RS or maybe even the IX GSR SE.

Originally Posted by sblvro
I like the old body style 2007 STi. But love the evo more it is "PURE RAW!"
+1. The '07 STi body style was very attractive in it's own special way.

Last edited by nawaz; Feb 12, 2009 at 06:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone wish they got an STi?