Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Looking to decrease turbo lag!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can notice difference between your friends IX and yours and the only difference is he has a turbo manifold you likely have a mechanical problem. Don't look for a mod, look for something to fix. There is no reason his car should spool faster than yours.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Boltz.
If you can notice difference between your friends IX and yours and the only difference is he has a turbo manifold you likely have a mechanical problem. Don't look for a mod, look for something to fix. There is no reason his car should spool faster than yours.
Hmm good point. I overlooked the possibility since everyone is usually hyper-critical of their own car, but I agree.

OP, do you have a recent dyno chart?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 06:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cheesehead713
bump ^^^ help me with this turbo lag! What about headers? My friend's ix has way better throttle response/spool up and the only difference between his IX and mine is that he has headers and I don't, and I have an ETS intercooler and his fmic is stock. Would headers like the AMS exhaust manifold help spool up/throttle response? I also have cams and he doesn't. Could it be in the tuning?

I have something to decrease lag and increase power. Check out our AccessPort tune for the Evo IX.

Don't forget to click the link just above the dyno chart to read more about our Evo IX tuning.

PM me if you have any questions.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Hey All. I have had my evo for about two years now and I'm lovin it every day! I have some pretty cool mods and am happy with the power. The only thing I'm not loving is the turbo lag. It's not bad, but it's there. What are people doing to decrease turbo lag and/or increase throttle response. Thanks!
I bought a Subaru 3/4 the turbo, 1/4 the lag

FP Green, and meth. My friend's Evo spools like crazy. Also, GSC S1 cams instead of 272s. And ditch the FMIC for the stock one (until you need it). That's my opinion from what I've seen and the research I did back in the day (I wanted no spool Would've actually been a TME 6.5 but the green is better now from what I can tell).

Or just get a stroker kit. Bigger motor helps a lot After being spoiled with no turbo lag in the Porsche I was terrified of it with the STi... There really is probably 1/4 of the lag I remember the Evo having...
Old Apr 14, 2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Boltz.
Well, I don't think I have any boost leaks because it holds boost just fine. There is not increase in lag after I installed the FMIC and the cams. The lag is about the same as it was before these mods. So, I don't think the tune, cams, or FMIC are the reason for the lag, but who knows. I don't know why my friends IX spools so much better, but after we traded cars for a quick drive we both got out and the first thing we said was that my lag was much more noticable than his. Maybe it's not that bad compared to other evos, but his spools awesome. In fact, there is no noticable lag at all. Could it be the headers?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Out of your power adders here I think some of the best ways to increase your low end response will be:

1) an upgraded o2 housing like helix or something

2) an octane adder say methanol or aquire the mods to run e85 (pump,injectors, etc..)

3) general weight reduction will make off throtle appear more "snappy" (spare tire and so forth)

As a general question out there do you have a wideband sensor? If so what kind of AFR's are you seeing at spool up and at WOT.
+1
Old Apr 14, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

your comlaining about lag with a stock turbo????
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by o7'silvermax
your comlaining about lag with a stock turbo????
Well, my friend's IX is stock turbo like mine and my lag is way more so....
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Man! It's hard not too when my friend's IX has such an awesome spool up. Slow spool is just embarassing. It's spool envy!
Just copy what he has
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by CaliMR
Just copy what he has
Yeah, I guess I probably will. I just wanted to get some opinions first so that I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on an exhaust manifold for nothing. Bushur Racing and Full-Race websites claim gains of up to 21+ whp and 19 lbs wtq by using their headers. Seems too good to be true to me. And they don't mention better spool, but some other brands do claim better spool (GTspec for example). I guess I'll just do it and hope for the best.

Last edited by cheesehead713; Apr 17, 2009 at 12:46 AM.