Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Am I an Idiot???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2009, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Am I an Idiot???

Im new to this forum, and want some feedback. I am looking at getting an evo in the next year. Good news is Im in no rush and have a civic that is doing what civics do, refusing to die. I love it for that, and hate it for almost everything else.

I am a former SRT-4 guy. I bought the SRT cuz at the time Evos were new (03,04) and about 10k more than I could afford. But now that they (used ones) are down in price they are right in my crosshairs. I want to get a used one, but heres my thing.

I did all the work on my SRT and tuned it to 312whp on stock turbo, installed everypart and did all work myself (some with a friend), save for oil changes which I took in to have a documented 3000 mile interval proof. I love to work on cars and after sinking in all that time, blood, and money to the car, it got sold. The parts, and hard work didnt mean Squat.

Everyone is giving advise on how to find an unmolested car on here, but I know that puts me at the bottom of a very big hill.

My goal is to buy a very well put together evo, buy what I want from the start. Built motor, built trans, meth inj, Big turbo 500hp +. (My friend and I built a 900+ hp SRT so I know what it takes to go fast, I wanna see Burshur or AMS parts on the car)

I feel like I know what to look for and just dont trust "stock" evos for sale. Ive seen 5 so far and they were all liars! On had evidence of a big turbo, and serious abuse. I think it is better to get a car with all the parts on it from a guy that loves it. I may need to fix a few things but the guy that got my car got a 100% solid SRT, everything was done right the first time.

I want that in an evo. Is this realistic? Or am I an idiot? Am I searching for the holy grail of AWD?

Also I know Burschur and AMS are gods, AMS is amazing (my personal fav.) they always were, is there anyone else that is a top tier tuner that I should consider?

I live in NY but Ill go anywhere to get it done right

Last edited by Smike; Mar 7, 2009 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Removed links.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 06:46 AM

have you tried STM, I think they are in your area. I think they're also a vendor on here.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok so your trying to BUY a evo that is already built and not do anywork yourself to claim it as yours. thats what i get when i read that. LOL there are places like ebay autotrader modifiedautotrader and the for sale forums here where plenty of built evos are being sold but keep in mind the kind of evo your looking for AMS(so-called god) BR evo are not cheap. what is your price range your not gonna get a fully built car for 17k be realistic more like 22-45. and the low end mind have major issues. parts are not cheap man. yes knowing that we all know your not gonna get the true valve of the preformace parts you put on and spent money on but a fully built evo trans bottom end top turbo ported is going to be high dollar. so you are better off getting a evo with some basic mods fixing the problems and going from there unless you have a spare 30k laying around mike from awd is selling his 784 hp monster for like 38k or so now just to give you a ideal if you want one built right there is a 700 hp one on ebay starting at 22k. your cheaper evos are gonna be either the salvaged ones or ones that have some issues that need to be addressed. so please tell us your price range exactly what kind of car your looking for(drag,track,DD)

P.S. Your right finding a evo that was not modded at all is extremely rare here in usa. Most people convert back to stock and sell off mods to recoup money. now if you dont mind flying to japan our europe you can pick one up
Old Mar 7, 2009, 03:32 PM

ill sell ya mine for the upper 20's. no issues with engine or drivetrain. little cosmetic things but thats it. Only apx 3000 miles on built motor
Old Mar 7, 2009, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

personally you might be better off looking for a stock evo.

anyone that has a built evo that is put together, right won't be cheap, at all.

keep that in mind, cause no one is going to give away a sweet car, that makes power, and drives well, without some dollars

i bought mine stock for well under 20k, keep searching, took me over a yr to find the perfect one, but i'm picky. good luck
Old Mar 7, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're not being realistic at all. A well built Evo isn't going to be cheap. Plus there are for sale ads all over this forum and a particularly well built example mentioned above. There aren't any 13K-17K 500whp+ AMS or Bushur built Evos.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea for the evo your looking to buy your going to pay high price. your better off finding one with lil mods or stock for high teens or low 20's.

also CBRDspeedfactory is a extremely good shop. Their customer service is the best of any shop you will come across. Check them out at www.cbrdspeedfactory.com

Caleb who is the sale rep there could hook you up. Maybe talk to him and see if he can find you the evo your looking for or they could already have it.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Sure, you can find one at that price, but it won't be perfect. The hardest thing of all will be finding one from someone you can trust who will give you 100% disclosure on all the issues.

A LOT of guys selling tuned cars like that know something is wrong or about to break so they cut their losses and it becomes someone else's problem. Whatever you do, take along a real good friend who knows Evos inside out when you inspect the car.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 05:09 PM

Just keep looking until you find what your looking for it will take a while but i bet you will find what your looking for.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

If price is one of the biggest factor, then you are going to be out of luck.
Most of the 'modded' cars on ebay that sells real cheap are either 1. in a very shady condition cosmetically or mechanically, 2. bad taste, and the seller lowered price several times after finding no buyer, 3. show car that needs to be liquidated asap, most of these are going to have tons of decals, neons and a big sound system

People that have put some serious care and research in building their cars are also going to put some serious care and research when they are selling their cars, and majority of the cases they are better off selling the parts separately. Sometimes they luck out and have few buyers waiting in line for their cars with reasonable offers that they don't need to part out the car. These cases, the seller would carefully choose depending on the total sum of cash offered and the trust of the new buyer to make sure their 'baby' doesn't fall into abusive hands.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

The OP never really mentioned a particular price; just that Evo's are now within his price range and he want's a pretty modified one.

Hey OP check my car out:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/6700337-post1.html

It's setup with most of the core parts to just bolt on an FP Red or something bigger.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 04:25 PM

I'm sort of in the same boat as this guy as far as wanting an evo goes... however, I'm considering a salvage car (or a good titled 03) with as little body parts as possible, so that I can voltex it up and build it my way over a 6 month to a year span. i feel that if you are going to full out mod a car out, you might as well pick up a car for as cheap as you can. I'm sure that everyone has different views, as well as different experiences, on this topic.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SenseiL2007
Im new to this forum, and want some feedback. I am looking at getting an evo in the next year. Good news is Im in no rush and have a civic that is doing what civics do, refusing to die. I love it for that, and hate it for almost everything else.

I am a former SRT-4 guy. I bought the SRT cuz at the time Evos were new (03,04) and about 10k more than I could afford. But now that they (used ones) are down in price they are right in my crosshairs. I want to get a used one, but heres my thing.
I did all the work on my SRT and tuned it to 312whp on stock turbo, installed everypart and did all work myself (some with a friend), save for oil changes which I took in to have a documented 3000 mile interval proof. I love to work on cars and after sinking in all that time, blood, and money to the car, it got sold. The parts, and hard work didnt mean Squat.

Everyone is giving advise on how to find an unmolested car on here, but I know that puts me at the bottom of a very big hill.

My goal is to buy a very well put together evo, buy what I want from the start. Built motor, built trans, meth inj, Big turbo 500hp +. (My friend and I built a 900+ hp SRT so I know what it takes to go fast, I wanna see Burshur or AMS parts on the car)

I feel like I know what to look for and just dont trust "stock" evos for sale. Ive seen 5 so far and they were all liars! On had evidence of a big turbo, and serious abuse. I think it is better to get a car with all the parts on it from a guy that loves it. I may need to fix a few things but the guy that got my car got a 100% solid SRT, everything was done right the first time.

I want that in an evo. Is this realistic? Or am I an idiot? Am I searching for the holy grail of AWD?

Also I know Burschur and AMS are gods, AMS is amazing (my personal fav.) they always were, is there anyone else that is a top tier tuner that I should consider?

I live in NY but Ill go anywhere to get it done right

OP does mention his budget

Last edited by 4Trouble; Mar 8, 2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 09:42 AM

I know Im searching for a very specific car. I figure 16.5-23k for an unmodded or lightly modded, 23k-35k for one to the standards Im after.

My budget pretty much maxes out in the 35k range. Thats why I initially bought an SRT I paid 22k put in about 3k and was smoking cars all day. I knew I could get the evo but would never have enough extra to buy the goodies I wanted. Now adays my income is up, and so is my taste.

I could afford a new X if I really wanted, but if I do then I wont be able to afford the 10-15k in goodies I want.

So I guess you could say $ isnt my primary concern. Although is it ever not a concern? Im not looking for a fast solution, or really anything until at least april (Insurance Break at 25!!) I want the car I can keep forever.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by RockmanX
ok so your trying to BUY a evo that is already built and not do anywork yourself to claim it as yours. thats what i get when i read that.
LOL Yup, I did it once myself and realized after all the $ and hard work late at night, I could have spent less, headache and money ache for the same thing to start with, so why not do that with the next car?

Besides if buying a modded anything you will be turning wrenches like it or not. I know that going into it. Just cuz it has all the parts doesnt mean I wont be working on it. Id rather mimize the downtime though and spend more of my time enjoying the car. Sure its not my blue print, my blood, and my loss on depreciation, but thats not to say its not mine or I wont make it mine.

Quick Reply: Am I an Idiot???