Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

E85 vs race gas vs 93 octane

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:45 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E85 vs race gas vs 93 octane

i am new to this modding of cars and the more i am on evolutionm and learning from other people i seen a lot of things.one thing i do know is better the octaine the faster you go in my evo9 with small mods i ran a aem meth kit and would race people and they would ask me how i beat them with so little mods no one new i had the meth
but now i hear of race gas and what really confuses me which is E85 what are the difference and were can i buy them i was going to run 93 oct and 100% meth but is E85 better?? and from what i looked at race gas is expensive espcially for a DD
Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I don't agree with your statement about "the better the octane, the faster you'll go". The main purpose of running proper/higher octane fuel is a safety net when running higher than stock level boost. So in turn you're partly correct. If you're running c16 or some other level of race fuel, in turn you can safely run higher boost, to a degree. I haven't had any personal experience with e85 yet, but a lot of ppl that are on the boards are running it. B/c of the e85 you will have to run bigger injectors and sometimes run a dual walbro to keep up with the fuel flow, so in turn your gas milage will decrease. The nice thing with e85 there's a lot of local gas stations have them and it's quite cheaper then race fuel. There will be more ppl with a lot better info who will chime in and hopefully help you out.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:59 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Goldfinger978
Well, I don't agree with your statement about "the better the octane, the faster you'll go". The main purpose of running proper/higher octane fuel is a safety net when running higher than stock level boost. So in turn you're partly correct. If you're running c16 or some other level of race fuel, in turn you can safely run higher boost, to a degree. I haven't had any personal experience with e85 yet, but a lot of ppl that are on the boards are running it. B/c of the e85 you will have to run bigger injectors and sometimes run a dual walbro to keep up with the fuel flow, so in turn your gas milage will decrease. The nice thing with e85 there's a lot of local gas stations have them and it's quite cheaper then race fuel. There will be more ppl with a lot better info who will chime in and hopefully help you out.
oh i understand i no its better whp numbers when people use the better gas im confused on this situation so thank you for correcting me on my quote..what gas stations sell e85
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

you have your 93 octane and your race gas octane. E85 is 85% ethanol and is between 105-110 octane depending on the season and mix. Higher octane means less detonation at higher boost levels. Yes, requires bigger injectors and/or fuel pump and do return worst gas mileage, but at close to a whole dollar less than 93 octane where I'm from, it's worth it.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

E85 = 105 octane and burns cooler.

Here is a link so you can do your home work on E85:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85_in_standard_engines

As far as power potential ... I think it is equal to, or greater then 112 leaded, because it burns so much cooler.

E85 locations vary state by state.. IF you don't have an E85 station local, or if you drive a lot, I'd suggest getting your self a 55 gallon drum, that way you always have some.

Some say that E85 is budget race gas... since it's only like $1.60 - $2.30 a gallon (in New York). compared to VP116 and other race gas that is $12.00 - $18.00 a gallon. You can run more timing and more boost with the "Race" gas... but you have to spend WAY more money. If your just looking for more bang for your buck... i'd run the E85.

The upgrades you do will be minimal... all you need is a bigger fuel pump, and bigger injectors and a tune.

Here is the link for E85 Refueling stations in New York.

http://www.e85refueling.com/location...145f094ef6ae9e

Hope some of this helps,

Chris

Last edited by DC_TypeR; Mar 18, 2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Gas Prices in New York
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-85 stations

Click on your state and it gives you addresses of where you can get e85. Google is your friend.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor

E-85 has made more power on EVERY SINGLE car we have done race gas vs. E-85.. Octane rating doesnt matter.. Methanol is less octane than some race fuels and can handle 70psi of boost..

Mike
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
E-85 has made more power on EVERY SINGLE car we have done race gas vs. E-85.. Octane rating doesnt matter.. Methanol is less octane than some race fuels and can handle 70psi of boost..

Mike
So what's the downside/risk to running E85? I mean, everything I am reading is that it is more power, safer, and cheaper--so why can't I find a single X that is running it?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cyniclaus
So what's the downside/risk to running E85? I mean, everything I am reading is that it is more power, safer, and cheaper--so why can't I find a single X that is running it?
You need more Fuel Injector and Pump with E-85.. I havent thoroughly gone thru the X fuel system yet to make sure there arent any plastic parts that the E-85 will destroy..
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DC_TypeR
E85 locations vary state by state.. IF you don't have an E85 station local, or if you drive a lot, I'd suggest getting your self a 55 gallon drum, that way you always have some.

Chris
i thought of this myself but heard that ethanol with suck up moisture causing it to not behave the same.. dunno if its sensible to run a 55 gallon drum from your garage for like a month
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

These are the downsides i've been enlightened on by Mike W... tuner and owner of Road Race Engineering... (They use E85 a lot to tune cars)

Downside.... It burns quicker then regular fuel. When tuning on E85, it's a lot harder to detect knock.. if your tuning parameters are not dead on, and you get greedy w/ the power, then kaboom if you run to much boost.

Now, As far as X's not running it... First off... you need proper sized injectors... and anything LESS then 1000cc is just a waste of time. No one makes a "drop in" 1000cc injector YET. The closest thing we have, is the RC Engineering Injectors... and you have to splice wires in there to work, and since most X owners don't feel like molesting a 35k car, they figure they will wait for a plug and play injector.

On a side note...
I should be fully done with my install this week, or next week.. and I WILL be running E85... w/ and FP RED, and Cosworth Cams... so I will post some dyno's for comparo VS **** octane 91.

Regards,
Chris
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Itchy
i thought of this myself but heard that ethanol with suck up moisture causing it to not behave the same.. dunno if its sensible to run a 55 gallon drum from your garage for like a month
Its fine in a Metal Drum sealed tight for a month.. thats how we store it here without an issue..
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Itchy

Depends on how much you drive really...

IF you drive a lot... then this would work for you...

I used to fill up (EVO 8) twice a week.... that's 28-30 gallons a week.
So if I were on E85, then a 55 gallon drum would work perfect.

IF you fill up 1 time per week, it would take about a month to go through a 55 gallon drum... don't think the moisture will affect the octane rating that much.. considering it will be used in a month...

Also consider, E85 burns a hell of a lot quicker then pump gas... I think 15-18% quicker... so your gas mileage will go down... but you will have a lot more fun... lol

-Chris
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DC_TypeR
These are the downsides i've been enlightened on by Mike W... tuner and owner of Road Race Engineering... (They use E85 a lot to tune cars)

Downside.... It burns quicker then regular fuel. When tuning on E85, it's a lot harder to detect knock.. if your tuning parameters are not dead on, and you get greedy w/ the power, then kaboom if you run to much boost.

Now, As far as X's not running it... First off... you need proper sized injectors... and anything LESS then 1000cc is just a waste of time. No one makes a "drop in" 1000cc injector YET. The closest thing we have, is the RC Engineering Injectors... and you have to splice wires in there to work, and since most X owners don't feel like molesting a 35k car, they figure they will wait for a plug and play injector.

On a side note...
I should be fully done with my install this week, or next week.. and I WILL be running E85... w/ and FP RED, and Cosworth Cams... so I will post some dyno's for comparo VS **** octane 91.

Regards,
Chris

On e-85 we havent seen what too much boost is yet.. LOL so far 49psi almost 800whp and 8 second passes.. All in a car that has Haltech w/ no knock detection... A good tuner can work wonders..
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

^ Of course I was referring to a stock motor evo... not a fully built drag car Mike.
E85 is wonderful , and I agree w/ 100% of what you said.

There are guys running 30+ psi daily drivers out here in CA on E85 and they swear by it.

I can't wait to finally tune my X on E85.. so I can put the negative people to bed w/ the results.

-Chris

Quick Reply: E85 vs race gas vs 93 octane