Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Would you say an RS is worth more $ than the others?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2009, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you say an RS is worth more $ than the others?

I'm looking to buy an EVO right now, and just shopping different options. I know an RS is the strip down model, but is a modded RS worth more $ than a GSR or MR due to the rarity and being lighter?
I know everyone has their opinion, but for people who watch the sales market on these cars a lot. Which one sells quicker/higher price? RS VS. GSR
Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Depends on whether I'm the buyer or the seller... =]

No, honestly, the dealer tried the same thing on me when I bought my RS. Tried to tell me it was a "special edition" and all that. I explained to him that the only thing that made it "special" was what it did NOT have, with regards to the "regular" editions. All the RS I have seen for sale were generally a few thousand under similarly equipped MRs, GSR maybe a couple thousand difference.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:11 PM

RS's are going to be way more rare in a few years.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The GSR is priced higher than the RS. In truth a GSR can easily be stripped down and made similar to the RS model. So those saying the RS will be more valuable because of it's rarity I simply don't buy it. I know a few friends who bought the RS only to later trade it in for a GSR model. Evo's although make great race cars often don't go to owners with pure racing in mind. Having to roll down your window or others in the car manually gets to be a pain. The cabin noise is increased due to the removed noise dampening material. The wings are made of plastic and not carbon fiber, as well as the trunk carpeting is gone entirely.

If anything I've seen people buy the RS because it's cheaper and later converted it into a more full GSR. Well this is my opinion and research thus far feel free to discuss.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOOST ALMIGHTY
...is a modded RS worth more $ than a GSR or MR due to the rarity and being lighter?
Not in my book. Take a GSR and remove the wing, stereo, power windows, center console, dome light, etc.. and then it's a RS. The RS is cheaper than a GSR any way you look at it - rare or not. They're only rare because they're not as desirable by most evo owners so they didn't make as many.

Paying extra for power mods is a different issue. If it has some nice work done and you trust the quality then paying extra might be worth it but it's really a personal choice on that.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i own a rs and i don't mind not having power locks and windows im not picky.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:06 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
it is the MR holding its price higher than the SE and the GSR/SSL.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jedi_Gill
The GSR is priced higher than the RS. In truth a GSR can easily be stripped down and made similar to the RS model. So those saying the RS will be more valuable because of it's rarity I simply don't buy it. I know a few friends who bought the RS only to later trade it in for a GSR model. Evo's although make great race cars often don't go to owners with pure racing in mind. Having to roll down your window or others in the car manually gets to be a pain. The cabin noise is increased due to the removed noise dampening material. The wings are made of plastic and not carbon fiber, as well as the trunk carpeting is gone entirely.

If anything I've seen people buy the RS because it's cheaper and later converted it into a more full GSR. Well this is my opinion and research thus far feel free to discuss.
No offense, but the reason i bought mine was so i didn't have those simple creature comforts. I grew up on civics that were stripped down and ran with no interiors so the RS seemed like the only choice in my books. Being cheaper was just a better point to buy it.

So far i have loved every second of it, i've got a few years logged under my belt in my RS!!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have to agree with some users a RS is only rare because they did not make that many due to low intrest. Most people that own evo dont autox or drag they use it as DD with the somewhat streetracing intentions. Not having creature comforts as there called will seriously hurt the value again look at your market of folks that would buy one. The only time a RS would be keen would be to build a race car. Even then most will agree when RS are for sale first thing you look for is to see if it was a modded track/drag vehical thats been highly abused. Ill pass on that and finding hidden issues with it . I rather get a GSR and strip it down if need be. I would not Consider the MR unless i truely planned on doing a 5 speed swap. Swith in turn is wasting more money i could spend on mods so GSR it is. Now if your only options around you happen to be RS or RS and you cant travel then you better TRUELY look that car over and get it inspected by dealer and other Techs that know evos well because chances are your buying a used race car with some issues. I have seen to many people trade evos in when issues occur that they dont want to sink more money into. Drop the problem off on somebody elses bill and hope that during trade in nothing goes wrong good luck
Old Mar 19, 2009, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

i have a RS and i'm not to picky either but i must say that after upgrading the exhaust i'm actually considering installing some sound deading material pretty soon lol
Old Mar 19, 2009, 06:49 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
i have a RS and i'm not to picky either but i must say that after upgrading the exhaust i'm actually considering installing some sound deading material pretty soon lol
your RS will probably be the only one that is worth more
Old Mar 19, 2009, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
your RS will probably be the only one that is worth more
well probably not anymore since it doesnt look the same as when i first got her

it was time for a change!!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 06:57 AM

Like has been said, it comes down to what you want. I couldn't deal with pulling up next to someone and not being able to push a button to roll the window down. I enjoy my power locks and the RS has alot of drivetrain noise. If you don't need or want these ammenities, get the RS. Don't pay more for it though.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
that logic only works on ferraris and lambos

The Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggerra is the racing version of the Gallardo that weighs less, has less equipment but costs $40k more.
The Ferrari 430 Challenge Stradale is the same way. As goes for any challenge stradale, 355CS, 360 CS, 430 CS.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 07:19 AM
Account Disabled

I would expect the RS to be cheaper...

Quick Reply: Would you say an RS is worth more $ than the others?