Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Possibly stupid question about hood vent rain and equal length mani

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly stupid question about hood vent rain and equal length mani

Ok. So I read thru the rain and hood vent posts already, but not sure on the scenarios.
I got an evo with a DNP manifold. No heat shield or anything over it. just bare manifold. Well Im paranoid as hell now when the car gets wet because I see the smoke coming out of the hood when the water hits the manifold.
My main question is do I have to worry about this thing cracking from the heat of the exhaust then cold water hitting it? Granted its not much with the louvers in, but still makes me paranoid.

Should I be worried?
should I fab some kind of heat shield to put over this thing?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

it's fine same as your exhaust pipe it can get wet it'll just vaporize the water.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

i guess I didnt think of it that way. I was thinking its prob a so so quality manifold, plus alot hotter then the exhaust further down the line = cracks.

Never had a car with a hood vent before. when i see smoke from under the hood it scares me. hahahahaha
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

My brother in law saw my car without the hood vent shield thing. He told me I was stupid for taking it off, that the EM was going to crack. I laughed in his face because he's a mechanic. Though it did take his dumbass two and a half years to graduate from UTI's 51 weak course.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still have my hood vent and mani shield.

I love going to the car wash and pullin out and seeing all the smoke coming from the vent.

Gets a lot of stares and it looks pretty bad *** too
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

i dont have the vent and havnt been running one for over a year now. no problems here....
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tnnrx7

I love going to the car wash and pullin out and seeing all the smoke coming from the vent.

I thought i was the only one who enjoyed that. If you get on it a lil bit, the steam will fog up the whole windshield and u cant see crap, very fun lol
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tnnrx7

Seee I dont like that, because then people assume the car is not built right and broke. lol

Actually the dude I bought it from didnt even have the louvers on. I put them back on the day I bought it for that reason. Im paranoid about cracking that manifold. Also I catch people looking into the bay trying to check out whats in there. Makes it a little harder with the louvers on.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

I have a CF hood and My AMS manifold is inches from the metal screen it it bad *** looking when water hit's it, or when I'm sitting at a light and the heat waves are bluring the tail lights in front of me. LOL I love it!!!!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Im worried about snow! I just have the mesh covering it.... anyone done this in snow?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

i think its idiotic to remove the louvers. there is no gain to be made. all your doing is fully exposing your wiring and whatnot to the weather. if you really want to be looked at the just take the whole hood off lol.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adcgn45
i think its idiotic to remove the louvers. there is no gain to be made. all your doing is fully exposing your wiring and whatnot to the weather. if you really want to be looked at the just take the whole hood off lol.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, the main problem I see with this is the excess amoutn of water and dirt that will enter the engine bay on a daily driven evo. It looks good, but it's not practical for a daily driven car....imo
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
not smoke its steam and if your car is really hot it vaporizes before touching metal.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DocCola
My brother in law saw my car without the hood vent shield thing. He told me I was stupid for taking it off, that the EM was going to crack. I laughed in his face because he's a mechanic. Though it did take his dumbass two and a half years to graduate from UTI's 51 weak course.

Quick Reply: Possibly stupid question about hood vent rain and equal length mani