Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Is there a car that rivals the Evo performance, for the Evo price?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ktk
If you are referring to the Evo 8/9 then the short answer is no.

In stock form the Evo goes toe to toe with the Subaru Impreza WRX STI. In North America that is the only car that comes close to the overall package of the Evo in stock form.

The Evo's advantages don't start to shine until you start delving into the world of aftermarket modifications. The iron block closed deck 4G63t that is in the 8's and 9's stands alone in its class. There is NO other 4cyl motor available in north America that has been shown to consistently, easily, and reliable produce between 300-1500hp.

A quick internet search will show you that there is no other 4cyl engine in the world that has the capability to produce insane power as reliably or easily as the 4G63t. IF you don't believe me, do a search and see how many street driven 600+whp STI's you can find or Neons, or Mazdaspeed3's, or Cobalt SS's.

Power is just one of the strengths though. Even if it were possible to reliably get big power out of any of those other cars, without awd to put it down to the road, what u have is in essence a fancy burnout machine, with no capability whatsoever, except on a freeway roll from 60-130mph.

The Evo is a far more balanced all rounded car, it can be a high powered freeway monster, or it can be a quick spooling high torque around town daily driver, or it can be a brutally effective track car that with light mods will go out and crush a 911 turbo that cost 5 times as much on the local roadcourse (trust me I've done it and its fun ).

So allow me to rephrase your question: what car can reliably make 600+hp yet get 27-30 mpg on the freeway, can seat 5 in a pinch and carry a trunkful of stuff to the airport? Pull lateral loads in excess of 1.0G and decelerate from 60mph to 0 in under 110ft. And can continue to perform at a high level in rain or snow, ice or gravel, even when the track smooth tarmac ends and the winding dimpled gravel covered mountain backroad stretches ahead of you?

What car can do all that reliably and economically?

Only one car! -->

There are faster cars (in the dry only), there are funner cars (on the track only), there are more economical cars (at the toyota dealer) but in terms of all around package, nothing comes close to the overall capabilities of the Evo. No other car will do everything to as high a level as the Evo can, given the money you spend.
I loved my STI, and I'm still a new member to the Evo club, but damn that made me feel good about Mitsu/my car.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ktk

In stock form the Evo goes toe to toe with the Subaru Impreza WRX STI. In North America that is the only car that comes close to the overall package of the Evo in stock form.

The Evo's advantages don't start to shine until you start delving into the world of aftermarket modifications. The iron block closed deck 4G63t that is in the 8's and 9's stands alone in its class. There is NO other 4cyl motor available in north America that has been shown to consistently, easily, and reliable produce between 300-1500hp.

A quick internet search will show you that there is no other 4cyl engine in the world that has the capability to produce insane power as reliably or easily as the 4G63t. IF you don't believe me, do a search and see how many street driven 600+whp STI's you can find or Neons, or Mazdaspeed3's, or Cobalt SS's.

Power is just one of the strengths though. Even if it were possible to reliably get big power out of any of those other cars, without awd to put it down to the road, what u have is in essence a fancy burnout machine, with no capability whatsoever, except on a freeway roll from 60-130mph.

The Evo is a far more balanced all rounded car, it can be a high powered freeway monster, or it can be a quick spooling high torque around town daily driver, or it can be a brutally effective track car that with light mods will go out and crush a 911 turbo that cost 5 times as much on the local roadcourse (trust me I've done it and its fun ).

So allow me to rephrase your question: what car can reliably make 600+hp yet get 27-30 mpg on the freeway, can seat 5 in a pinch and carry a trunkful of stuff to the airport? Pull lateral loads in excess of 1.0G and decelerate from 60mph to 0 in under 110ft. And can continue to perform at a high level in rain or snow, ice or gravel, even when the track smooth tarmac ends and the winding dimpled gravel covered mountain backroad stretches ahead of you?

Only one car! -->

There are faster cars (in the dry only), there are funner cars (on the track only), there are more economical cars (at the toyota dealer) but in terms of all around package, nothing comes close to the overall capabilities of the Evo. No other car will do everything to as high a level as the Evo can, given the money you spend.
subscribed for the sake of this man's glorious and epic preaching. this is saved to my computer forever
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KTK is my hero. I usually just say the evo can't be described by words. It must be experienced. But damn that comes close
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Originally Posted by ktk

Only one car! -->

Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

no, evo is GAWD
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

ha well said bro. there really isn't anything that can compare to the evo when you consider the price. there are a handful of cars that do things as good as the evo, and there are even fewer cars that do things better than the evo, but none of these cars can do EVERYTHING quite as good as the evo. Really the only car I can think of out there that can absolutely dominate any type of race/event with even the slightest modifications. it really is a one of a kind beauty, and i find it so unfortunate that a good chunk of the general population will never even know that it exists....
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:08 PM

Try reading the post with this playing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VslzcciRmZg

Originally Posted by ktk

Only one car! -->

Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kajii
I loved my STI, and I'm still a new member to the Evo club, but damn that made me feel good about Mitsu/my car.
Woah woah woah....hes not talking about your X here....

I'm JK man!! I love the new white Xs!!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ktk

Only one car! -->

Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ktk

Only one car! -->

Very well said Love my evo, but I wish I could reach this 600hp + 27-30mpg on the freeway
Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:07 PM
ktk
Evolving Member

hahaha! Wow I didn't realize I would get such a positive response on my rant!

I was just telling it like it is

And as for u there above me^. My car is currently making about ~500hp at very conservative 21psi, and i got 350miles out of a tank all freeway during a long trip.

So long as you stay out of boost and have a good tune, 25-30mpg on the freeway is no problem at all! The boost will kill your fuel economy, but in all honesty, nobody is driving on boost for hours and hours lol. With 400whp even 5 seconds on boost is enough to get you in real trouble! :P
Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ktk
hahaha! Wow I didn't realize I would get such a positive response on my rant!

I was just telling it like it is

And as for u there above me^. My car is currently making about ~500hp at very conservative 21psi, and i got 350miles out of a tank all freeway during a long trip.

So long as you stay out of boost and have a good tune, 25-30mpg on the freeway is no problem at all! The boost will kill your fuel economy, but in all honesty, nobody is driving on boost for hours and hours lol. With 400whp even 5 seconds on boost is enough to get you in real trouble! :P
that's crazy.. I guess I just cant stay off the boost I think I got 300 a tank, once haha
Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

ktk -
Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:51 PM

How do you get 300 miles per tank? I think I have a bad tune. These cars are only about 12 gallon tanks right? I bought my car Wednesday, driven about 500 miles since, and I've filled it up twice from empty and it had 3/4 of a tank when purchased, and its at half a tank now.

Is there any deals or group buys on widebands? I'm waiting to install that before I get a tune. Although it probably wouldnt hurt to tune it now as it is.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Racer
How do you get 300 miles per tank? I think I have a bad tune. These cars are only about 12 gallon tanks right? I bought my car Wednesday, driven about 500 miles since, and I've filled it up twice from empty and it had 3/4 of a tank when purchased, and its at half a tank now.

Is there any deals or group buys on widebands? I'm waiting to install that before I get a tune. Although it probably wouldnt hurt to tune it now as it is.
14 gal tank and I typically think of it as until the light turns on.. this was pretty much no boosting and minimal heat/ac

Quick Reply: Is there a car that rivals the Evo performance, for the Evo price?