Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Is there a car that rivals the Evo performance, for the Evo price?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a car that rivals the Evo performance, for the Evo price?

title says it all.

Is there a car that rivals the Evo in performance and handling?... for the same or close to the same price range?

I know in a few years, I'll have enough to spend on an Evo, or equally expensive, better performing car (which I have yet to find) and was just wanting to know the best bang for my buck... my buck being about 30k.

Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

BMW 135i comes to mind. It's not AWD but 300HP and about starts at 35K (about the price of a new X). Of course STi is about the same, not exactly but close. (handling isn't as good from the reviews I've read.) The Colbalt SS is actually a real good track car believe it not. It's FWD and it has some impressive track numbers and it's $10K+ less.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

According to modernracer.com car reviews:

Competitors :
Subaru Impreza WRX STi
MazdaSpeed 6
Dodge Neon SRT-4
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah 350z. SRT-4 can be made to go fast real cheap with Mopar upgrades but the wheel spin on it is just horrible. I like the Evo way more than my stage2 SRT-4 except the way the transmission shifted. Always smooth always firm going into gear. I hate the sloppy shifting of AWD cars.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

@ 350Z
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by guapoholic
According to modernracer.com car reviews:

Competitors :
Subaru Impreza WRX STi
MazdaSpeed 6
Dodge Neon SRT-4
Did you mean the Mazdaspeed 3? The 6 is horribly overweight and underpowered compared to the other two listed and the X.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Might be able to throw the 370Z in the mix.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:05 PM
ktk
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by s7in
title says it all.

Is there a car that rivals the Evo in performance and handling?... for the same or close to the same price range?

I know in a few years, I'll have enough to spend on an Evo, or equally expensive, better performing car (which I have yet to find) and was just wanting to know the best bang for my buck... my buck being about 30k.

Thanks.
If you are referring to the Evo 8/9 then the short answer is no.

In stock form the Evo goes toe to toe with the Subaru Impreza WRX STI. In North America that is the only car that comes close to the overall package of the Evo in stock form.

The Evo's advantages don't start to shine until you start delving into the world of aftermarket modifications. The iron block closed deck 4G63t that is in the 8's and 9's stands alone in its class. There is NO other 4cyl motor available in north America that has been shown to consistently, easily, and reliable produce between 300-1500hp.

A quick internet search will show you that there is no other 4cyl engine in the world that has the capability to produce insane power as reliably or easily as the 4G63t. IF you don't believe me, do a search and see how many street driven 600+whp STI's you can find or Neons, or Mazdaspeed3's, or Cobalt SS's.

Power is just one of the strengths though. Even if it were possible to reliably get big power out of any of those other cars, without awd to put it down to the road, what u have is in essence a fancy burnout machine, with no capability whatsoever, except on a freeway roll from 60-130mph.

The Evo is a far more balanced all rounded car, it can be a high powered freeway monster, or it can be a quick spooling high torque around town daily driver, or it can be a brutally effective track car that with light mods will go out and crush a 911 turbo that cost 5 times as much on the local roadcourse (trust me I've done it and its fun ).

So allow me to rephrase your question: what car can reliably make 600+hp yet get 27-30 mpg on the freeway, can seat 5 in a pinch and carry a trunkful of stuff to the airport? Pull lateral loads in excess of 1.0G and decelerate from 60mph to 0 in under 110ft. And can continue to perform at a high level in rain or snow, ice or gravel, even when the track smooth tarmac ends and the winding dimpled gravel covered mountain backroad stretches ahead of you?

What car can do all that reliably and economically?

Only one car! -->

There are faster cars (in the dry only), there are funner cars (on the track only), there are more economical cars (at the toyota dealer) but in terms of all around package, nothing comes close to the overall capabilities of the Evo. No other car will do everything to as high a level as the Evo can, given the money you spend.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ktk

In stock form the Evo goes toe to toe with the Subaru Impreza WRX STI. In North America that is the only car that comes close to the overall package of the Evo in stock form.

The Evo's advantages don't start to shine until you start delving into the world of aftermarket modifications. The iron block closed deck 4G63t that is in the 8's and 9's stands alone in its class. There is NO other 4cyl motor available in north America that has been shown to consistently, easily, and reliable produce between 300-1500hp.

A quick internet search will show you that there is no other 4cyl engine in the world that has the capability to produce insane power as reliably or easily as the 4G63t. IF you don't believe me, do a search and see how many street driven 600+whp STI's you can find or Neons, or Mazdaspeed3's, or Cobalt SS's.

Power is just one of the strengths though. Even if it were possible to reliably get big power out of any of those other cars, without awd to put it down to the road, what u have is in essence a fancy burnout machine, with no capability whatsoever, except on a freeway roll from 60-130mph.

The Evo is a far more balanced all rounded car, it can be a high powered freeway monster, or it can be a quick spooling high torque around town daily driver, or it can be a brutally effective track car that with light mods will go out and crush a 911 turbo that cost 5 times as much on the local roadcourse (trust me I've done it and its fun ).

So allow me to rephrase your question: what car can reliably make 600+hp yet get 27-30 mpg on the freeway, can seat 5 in a pinch and carry a trunkful of stuff to the airport? Pull lateral loads in excess of 1.0G and decelerate from 60mph to 0 in under 110ft. And can continue to perform at a high level in rain or snow, ice or gravel, even when the track smooth tarmac ends and the winding dimpled gravel covered mountain backroad stretches ahead of you?

Only one car! -->

There are faster cars (in the dry only), there are funner cars (on the track only), there are more economical cars (at the toyota dealer) but in terms of all around package, nothing comes close to the overall capabilities of the Evo. No other car will do everything to as high a level as the Evo can, given the money you spend.
Well said!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ktk

Only one car! -->

That is so well said! Im ur fan!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ktk

Only one car! -->

Hellava sales pitch. You should work for Mitsu.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:51 AM

lol preach it!!!! Very good answer!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:55 AM
Account Disabled

OMG! I have to go get myself an Evo now!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ktk

Only one car! -->

i felt a tear came rolling down my face after reading your words to the wise!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ktk

Only one car! -->

Well said

Quick Reply: Is there a car that rivals the Evo performance, for the Evo price?