Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Title Transfer Problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Title Transfer Problems

Has anyone here ever had problems getting the title to their Evo transfered from out of state? I've had the weirdest experience buying a car.

I negotiated over the phone and had my credit union transfer the money to the dealership and the dealer shipped me the car the day after the money was wired to them. I hadn't signed or been given any paperwork from the dealer when I received the car. I knew this wasn't right and asked them to send me all of the paperwork, including the title info. One week later, I received the Sales Contract among several other documents that weren't signed by them yet. I had to sign them, overnight it back to them and they were supposed to overnight me the carbon coppies with their signitures. Two weeks after I sent the paperwork back to them, I finally received my carbon coppies but still no title info. I called them yesterday, telling them that I REALLY needed them to fill out an Application for Texas Certificate of Title, sign it, and send it to me. I called them back today to make sure they were doing it and finally got them to agree to send it to me tomorrow (so I should get it Friday afternoon sometime).

I'm getting pretty pissed off because I've been in posession of my car for almost 5 weeks now, and am still unable to legally drive it because I can't register it yet.

Sorry about the rant, but the whole situation has gotten me really stressed out and I needed to vent.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 08:40 AM

I had a similar problem - the dealership had the car but they had to pay off a loan when taking the car as a trade in, so they wouldn't have the title in hand for a couple weeks. I had them put a temporary registration on the car to hold me over until I could get the title and register it myself. Of course, it's probably too late now for the dealership to send you a temporary registration.

Hope it all works out. Keep us updated.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the dealership I bought my car from has no exucses for taking 5 weeks to transfer the title. They had it the entire time but just neglected to send it to me. I honestly think they were just not familiar with the process of transfering a title out of state and thought I was crazy when I kept calling them to get it done. I think it has finally clicked for them though because I got a call from them today saying that they overnighted it and I should get it tomorrow. It's just been a bad experience.

It's been so hard seeing my evo in the garage every day for the past 5 weeks and not being able to drive it.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:50 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the dealer should have given you temp plates until it is registered. they can extend the 30 days to another 30 days.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

dude, i bought my car in January! and i still dont have the title... i bought it from a dealership in california and they give you 90days to register it but i live in south dakota and you only 30days here. so on top of it sitting in my garage for almost a month now SD charges a fine for everyday after the 30days for no registering it. im pissed. but the good news is that the bank should send the have the title for me in a few days now.
i guess there was like some kinda big budget cut in Cali that is causing problems with the DMV and title transfers. oh well, what can we do.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2plaz
dude, i bought my car in January! and i still dont have the title... i bought it from a dealership in california and they give you 90days to register it but i live in south dakota and you only 30days here. so on top of it sitting in my garage for almost a month now SD charges a fine for everyday after the 30days for no registering it. im pissed. but the good news is that the bank should send the have the title for me in a few days now.

i guess there was like some kinda big budget cut in Cali that is causing problems with the DMV and title transfers. oh well, what can we do.

That sucks man! I really hope they get yours figured out soon. But I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one having a problem with this.

I think that TX allows 20 business days to get it registered from the date of purchase before they start fining you and I believe that today is the 27th business day. I'm hoping to be able to show postage dates for when I finally receive the paperwork and not be fined. Because it's not like I've just been putting it off and sitting on the title for the past 5 weeks without doing anything.

I also bought my car from Cali, I wonder if it's the same dealership
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

i dont think it has anything to do with the dealerships. California gives you 90days to register so prolonged title transfers arent uncommon but out of state purchases are a pain! im from texas and all i can say it thank good SD taxes are only 3%! i miss sporting my texas plates but paying, what is it, 7-8%? thats crazy. plus, theres no emissions laws here so i dont have to worry about inspections. but it still sucks not being able to drive my car.
cant you buy temp tags at the DMV? i was able to buy a 15day temp tag here.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:20 AM

Every time I spoke with someone in TX about getting tags or getting my car registered, they kept telling me that they couldn't do anything because, without any title info, I couldn't prove that I owned the car. It's too late now anyway, I just hope my title comes today.

Yeah, retail tax is 8.25%, but vehicle taxes are 6.25%... Still way too much!

So you purchased your vehicle in January and still don't have the title? That really sucks man. You said that there was a budget cut in Cali that wasy delaying Title transfers, but they shouldn't have to transfer it there. They should just be able to send you the original Title and let you do the transfer in SD. I understand that prolonged title transfers in CA may be common, but they need to oblige their customers who are purchasing a vehicle from out of state. It just comes down to customer service.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

yeh well with my bank, wacovia, the title go straight to them since theyre the lein holder, they said i should have it in a few days now. im not even trying to complain anymore, im over it, ive waited 3 months, i can wait a few more days.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:14 AM

So, I got my Title in the mail Friday. I was a little dissapointed that it didn't come earlier in the day because the Tax office was already closed when it came. This morning, I took my car to get it inspected and registered so I can finally drive it. The inspection went just fine (it took a little long because the guys that worked there kept staring at my car and talking to each other). When I took my title information to the tax office, the woman told me that the dealership screwed up my title so bad that she couldn't register it. She even faxed it over to TxDot to see if they could make an exception, but they said no. Now my only choices are to either go apply for a Bonded Title (like hell), or send it back to the dealership to have them
redo it. Either way, I'm looking at having to wait even longer to legally drive my car.

When I was leaving the tax office, the woman asked if I had alternate transportation. Not thinking, I said yes (because I have a second car). Do you think I could go back and get some kind of temporary registration that will allow me to drive my Evo until the dealership cleans up their mess?
*EDIT* - I just called the Tax office and they said I could get a temporary registration. So at least now I'll be able to drive my car! I just wish this wasn't such a hassle.

Last edited by ProjectMayhem; Mar 30, 2009 at 11:48 AM.