Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

So I'm ready to pull trigger on a IX...But

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your last 2 sentences show that you want and are willing to look for an unmolested evo so you'll be fine. There are plenty of owners that have taken care of there cars and are looking for something else. You just have to be lucky enough to find one. Or you could just buy a new evo X if you felt so inclined.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Danner
LOL, I had one in my town that had a license plate that said "6FT UNDR".

But no, I have been looking at vettes, supras, all kinds of cars. I promised myself i would own an evo, and used that motivation to get through school and land a good job. Now the time is here, and I have the means to buy one, but now its a matter of buying a solid one. I'm willing to pay what it takes. I just want to be happy with the car.

Dan
dude, from reading what u wrote, u should get an evo. the clutch and transmission aren't particularly worse, although u should check the condition of the transfer case. mine had slight seepage. i bought it from this forum w/ 50something k miles and i had to get a few things fixed, but it wasn't bad enough to make me regret the buy.

you'll be glad u got an evo.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
My recommendations to buying a used Evo:

-stock or lightly modded with bolt-ons
-mature driver (mannerisms and attitude much more important than age)
-interior, exterior, and engine bay are clean and appear well cared for (dusty, but not greasy, engines are ok)
-well documented maintenance, repairs, and modifications (and all performed as required)
-owner states to have always used premium grade gasoline

Follow these and you should be ok. Make sure you drive at least a few Evo's just to make sure the one you're buying doesn't feel "off" from the others. Don't buy a car from someone you wouldn't trust driving yours; this is why I prefer to buy used cars from individuals and not dealerships. I purchased my S2000 from a 60 year old man (8k miles) and my Evo from a mid-20's girl (10k miles).
Old Mar 27, 2009, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

I've had mine for 3 yrs and still on stock clutch and no problem with tranny @ all. I have some mods. I guess just like anything you take care of your car it will last. I don't beat on mine I respect it and don't want to spend any money fixing it because of being stupid.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Had it 3 years and currently on 17k miles. Went to track after break in after that never went to any race/tracks. Still pull strong and clutch is good.
But having some syncro problem(i think its my transmission oil) used syncromesh at first(smooth no crunchy) then switched to royal purple(now its hard to put in when gears are cold)
need to switch back to syncromesh =(
brand name expensive stuff is not always good =X
Old Mar 28, 2009, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just treat the car like you want it to treat you. These are not Honda's and have a hell of a lot more power. If you beat on it be prepared to spend!
Old Mar 29, 2009, 08:44 PM

i dont know if anyone else already mentioned but take the vins down and call up mitsubishi to see if any warranty work was done, sometimes it could indicate a bad driver or abused evo

other than that, driving normally my 9 feels perfect, its only when trying to shift fast i notice the syncro problem... take the time to find the right one, i was lucky to find one with low miles and price the day after it was traded in and jumped on it after searching for close to a year