Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

So I'm ready to pull trigger on a IX...But

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm ready to pull trigger on a IX...But

*Not having any luck searching*

Im nervous about the transmission/diff. Are these cars from the factory setup to burn through clutches and transfer cases?

I've never driven an evo, but I do know how to take care of a trans. Is it mandatory to perform the clutch pill removal?

I dont want to spend 20K+ on a car that needs a new trans or diff. Someone please enlighten me on EVO 9 Transmissions.

Thanks,
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
transfer cases don't just fall apart...some members have gotten 100k on a stock clutch with mods

clutch life is determined by mods/driving style/abuse

transfer case life is determined by maintenance/mods/driving style/abuse

keyword in both would be ABUSE...if you launch the car and beat on the car these things will break
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

why is it everywhere i go people rag on evo trans and diffs. if anything its the stock clutch that goes, and even then 9/10 times its because whoever was driving didn't know how to drive an awd car to begin with.

clutches last unless you beat them up. they are the "weaker" point of the setup for a reason. youd rather replace a clutch than a transmission. as for all other drivetrain components, you take care of them, and they will take care of you
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

I will of course. I just spoke with a guy who bought an 06 evo from the dealer ship, it had 1300 miles on it, and he had to replace the clutch within 1k miles of owning. He said "restrictor plates" make clutch slip more to save gears. Car has 4k miles on it and he's trying to sell it for 30k. He said the transmission was a heap of trouble, and something about oil coming from transfer case. He thinks it may have been lemon from salesmen beating on car prior to purchase.

Can you shift somewhat aggressively with stock trans? I'm not talking dumping clutch and banging gears, but just rowing through gears. Convince me guys, I've wanted an evo since my sophomore year in college. Kind of a inspiration to finish school.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

I sold a supra to get an evo... if that tells you anything

I wouldnt pick up that particular evo, check out the private for sale section on this site because then you can get some people to vouch for the treatment of the car.. the issue with the stealerships is they will "unmodify" evos and sell them for stock. I have had no issues with mine at all, but i dont launch my car.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

The evo driveline gets a bad rap from owners who don't have a clue how to drive it and then whine about it on the forums not taking responsibility. I broke my t-case and it was 100% my fault not or God or anyone elses. Maintain it like an owner that knows he/she is blessed with an awesome ride and have fun w/ it.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Restrictor Pill

But anyway at <2300 miles if your replacing a clutch the car has been abused and the owner does not know how to drive.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I think this nonsense was invented by the kids over on HondaTech to help them feel better about purchasing a non-Evo
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

I had 40K miles on my original stock clutch and I went to the track often, multiple launches, and had bolt-ons with a tune.

As far as the transfer case and transmission just maintain them and use only diaqueen fluid in the rear diff and transfer case. Wrong fluid can corrode parts inside them causing them to fail.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, Whats the biggest thing to look/feel for in the trans when test driving?
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Any kind of grinding(bad synchros) lurching, doesn't go into gear at all. Be thorough in your search and don't be scared to poke and prod private sellers/dealers on everything about the car.

Last edited by 06evors; Mar 27, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Im nervous to buy an evo from anyone under the age of 25. I just have to look for low miles, and hopefully read the owner good enough to see that he treated the car correctly, and hopefully the only owner. I have driven fragile trans MR2's and I honestly think i can drive an evo properly.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by S2kracka
I think this nonsense was invented by the kids over on HondaTech to help them feel better about purchasing a non-Evo
Or anybody else when hating on Evos. They are very durable cars when not abused.

Also, to the "Op" it is spelled "hearse", not "hurse." And yes I owned/drove one and misspellings of it is one of my pet peeves.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

i bought my evo used with 52k miles and it still stock everything and drives like it was just driven off the lot for the first time but the first owner drove it like a responsible adult and actually it was kind of sad cause it had 7 year old no named tires on it that still had traction...but thats another story
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

LOL, I had one in my town that had a license plate that said "6FT UNDR".

But no, I have been looking at vettes, supras, all kinds of cars. I promised myself i would own an evo, and used that motivation to get through school and land a good job. Now the time is here, and I have the means to buy one, but now its a matter of buying a solid one. I'm willing to pay what it takes. I just want to be happy with the car.

Dan

Quick Reply: So I'm ready to pull trigger on a IX...But