Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

what kinda tires to buy??????????

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright i got 4 choices from looking at tire rack, i'm going to go with the size 245/40/17
these are my choices:

BFGoodrich
g-Force Sport

Kumho
Ecsta SPT

Kumho
Ecsta ASX

Yokohama
AVID W4S

i mean don't get me wrong, i'm not cheap by any means, but just can't justify paying 150 to 200 bucks a tire. especially since they'll prolly wear down just as fast.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Just remember, no single mod directly affects performance on the evo more than the tires. It's kinda one area you don't want to skimp on. The Dunlop Star Specs are $140 a tire from tire rack (a friggin steal buy performance tire standards!) and include a $50 rebate which make em cheaper than that! Of course you may want more of an all season considering where you live. Just throwing that out there. Are you going to be swapping out what ever you buy for blizzaks again when winter comes? If so you really should get a performance summer tire.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ +1
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:50 AM

Well I wasn't planning on swapping the tires back to blizzaks,wish mine were still good enough fo another winter but they deff aren't.
How bad could the star specs be in the snow???lol im thinking about getting those. But then id have to spend another 120 a piece on blizzaks in a few months,that's the only downside
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

^^Do not drive the Star Specs in the snow!!!! They are a high performance summer tires and should not be driven on snow or in near freezing temps. If you DD and you live in Mass (I went to Framingham State BTW) I highly suggest you use winter tires in the winter and summer tires in the summer...
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Why can't you use performance tires because its a daily driver? IMO all season tires are compromises so you drive them in the snow. On my daily driver, I use summer tires 8 months of the year and snow tires for the winter.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running the Yoko S-drives without complaints

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=V
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

For the summer I use Azenis RT-615 (255/40R17). I have been happy with them, and they are reasonably priced (I think they are about $130 a tire on Vulcantire.com right now).
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by dgoodhue
Why can't you use performance tires because its a daily driver? IMO all season tires are compromises so you drive them in the snow. On my daily driver, I use summer tires 8 months of the year and snow tires for the winter.
That's why I just said I don't wanna spebd 130 bucks or more on good tires,then having to get new ones for the winter in a few months. Because I doubt that'll be financially possible for me.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

So many different takes on the summmer/winter tire choices. I've tried most. Summer/winter tire swaps. All season only. Two sets of wheels for summer/winter etc., etc. Most people don't care for all seasons, but its pretty cool to be able to drive your evo from summer heat through sub-zero snowy conditions, all on the same set of tires. A good high performance A/S tire isn't all that bad either IMO, just not the absolute best in the summer or winter.
My opinion, if your short on funds, get high performance all seasons. Maybe, you'll get 2 years out of them. Better yet, summer/winter tires on the same rims. Ultimately, the best but most expensive route, would be 2 sets of wheels for summer and winter.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:02 PM

+1 for Yokohama Advan S.4 or W4S.

If you DD your EVO these are a great all around tire with a decent tread life. Just make sure you are careful and discover the limits of the tire carefully and not while doing something stupid. I was lucky enough to get two sets of wheels and tires with my IX, Yokohama S-Drive for summer and Advan S.4 for winter.. Tirerack.com is you friend!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

There are many many many great tires...for starter I would suggest you check out tire rack survey. Only you can find the perfect fit for your needs and price!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

I wonder? is Hankok a good name brand?