Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Is this normal? Blow off valve with a pronounced fluttering sound to follow.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this normal? Blow off valve with a pronounced fluttering sound to follow.

I see a guy driving around in his EVO IX MR, except I can hear the blow off valve... and after he gives it some gas and it blows off I hear a very pronounced fluttering sound. I know for a fact he is on stock turbo with a TBE and other bolt ons at best and the last thing I knew, if you actually hear the blow off valve it would be into the atmosphere which is usually a big no-no when it comes to the 4G63. Am I right?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
not really i VTA my hks on my Evo and im still on a stock ecu...some like it and some dont
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by MattyBoyMR
not really i VTA my hks on my Evo and im still on a stock ecu...some like it and some dont
I thought that blowing off into the atmosphere with stock turbo was harmful and I REALLY thought that the fluttering sound was harmful and unnatural and essentially air being forced BACK into.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Idk, yea turbo surge is bad for the turbo...idk i guess i was lucky...my never fluttered.....but i am on a 35r...lol
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by MattyBoyMR
Idk, yea turbo surge is bad for the turbo...idk i guess i was lucky...my never fluttered.....but i am on a 35r...lol
This kid is a dumb rich kid, mommy and daddy went in and paid cash for this MR and he probably just did what he knew regardless of knowing how **** worked.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no...recirculated valves make noise too
Old Apr 18, 2009, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

If you have an intake, a lot of time you can hear the stock blowoff valve. when I put on my Blitz intake the spool up and blow off were very audible.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can hear your turbo and your bov through any open intake like a cone filter of any type.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 02:17 AM

I have the same issue with my HKS VTA. cant wait to get rid of the damn thing
Old Apr 19, 2009, 03:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 11Past9
I see a guy driving around in his EVO IX MR, except I can hear the blow off valve... and after he gives it some gas and it blows off I hear a very pronounced fluttering sound. I know for a fact he is on stock turbo with a TBE and other bolt ons at best and the last thing I knew, if you actually hear the blow off valve it would be into the atmosphere which is usually a big no-no when it comes to the 4G63. Am I right?
Do a search on a nipple, this has been discussed before on this forum. As for your VTA statement it can be done with a blow thru MAF and the right tune, but that is so RICE!
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:31 PM

Actually on my evo 8 before it was upgraded my factory diverter valve was VERY loud just running through a AEM intake. It sounded like it was VTA. It was loud and had the flutter just like your describing it kind of sounded like a "ffftt..ttt..ttt..tt.t...t" And since it was a stock turbo, stock ECU, and only mods were the AEM intake, Koyo Radiator, HKS downpipe, and HKS 3" Hi-Power exhaust, theres really not a whole lot that could have made it sound that way. Also I replaced the first factory diverter valve because I broke the nipple off the 1st one while doing some cleaning, and the second one FROM MITSUBISHI made the same EXACT sound.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 03:55 AM
Evolved Member

his vacuum line could have a kink in it, I did some wire tucking and went for a drive and mine was fluttering, looked at it and found a bend in my bov vacuum line, re-routed it and it was back to normal.

My BOV is pretty loud and its recirculated, its a forge diverter valve.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

my hks is recirculated and it is pretty loud as well
Old May 27, 2009, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am ordering a 50mm tial bov for my evo 9. i was told with the stock ecu and maf that bta was bad. someone please explain to me what is bad about it. not to worried about that blow off sound, but i was told tial was pretty much the best to go with. i want the best performance out of my evo. any advice would be great.
Old May 27, 2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by sgt_petty_210
I am ordering a 50mm tial bov for my evo 9. i was told with the stock ecu and maf that bta was bad. someone please explain to me what is bad about it. not to worried about that blow off sound, but i was told tial was pretty much the best to go with. i want the best performance out of my evo. any advice would be great.
If you vent to atmosphere on a stock ECU then you will get hesitation and possible stalls of the car when slowing down to a stop or taking off. The MAF sensor is supposed to read a set amount of air and when it doesn't it compensates. Basically the sensor is not getting the air it needs because it is now being vented, and not re-circulated. Now with something like the AEM EMS you can convert to speed density (which is what I did) and do away with all that unnecessary stuff under the hood.

Quick Reply: Is this normal? Blow off valve with a pronounced fluttering sound to follow.