Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

new here. quick question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new here. quick question

hi everyone. I am the proud new owner of an 06 evo IX. I love the car. here's the questions. when im driving around I can hear a clinking almost like something is rubbing on the wheel or something. also it grinds going into reverse. not every time, but often. finally when I pull it up to 6800 and shift 1-3 the car bucks.maybe I just need to learn to drive it differently, im not sure. doesn't seem to be modified too much. just an hks intake, which im switching to a txs anyway. thanks for any help.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 03:32 PM

hmmm nobody has any ideas?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Reverse - tranny is probably shot but change the fluids if you haven't done the 30K service yet, also try adjusting the clutch pedal if it's too low (check how to).

Hard shifting will cause the read diff to hit the frame. I never heard this since I don't drive it that hard, but other people reported it and it's normal.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Blast83
Reverse - tranny is probably shot but change the fluids if you haven't done the 30K service yet, also try adjusting the clutch pedal if it's too low (check how to).

Hard shifting will cause the read diff to hit the frame. I never heard this since I don't drive it that hard, but other people reported it and it's normal.

thanks a lot man. im greatful for the imput. i dont have an owners manual so i will need to find out what the 30k service includes.again thank you!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

how many miles on the car? 6 speed?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 02:06 AM

it could be a hand full of things but about the grinding going into reverse, the gear inside ur tranny is shot... and the clicking noise from the tire could be ur wheel well cover thats probly hitting something.... did u buy the car used ??? if yes the owner before u abused the car u mite wanna check the tranny... also u mite wanna try going into any gear beside reverse and then put into reverse .... see if that helps with the grinding noise
Old Apr 23, 2009, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my 6 speed with 4000 miles on it. It does not grind going into reverse, but if I am rolling at all I cannot put it into reverse.

If I accelerate as fast as I can the 1-2 shifts are abrupt
Old Apr 23, 2009, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

To get the bucking to stop adjust the clutch pedal which you could search that and you will have to get use to the quick engagement of the evo's! The tranny in the evo's are very touchy. Try going in to another gear first and then go into reverse. I had to do this with my VIII after starting up the car and letting it warm up. You have to let the tranny fluid warm up. I would also do the 30k service or 60k service which is the same thing!!! You don't know how to the person before you drove the car so I would do it anyways. I would also save up and get a tune on the car. Just my 02. Good luck with the evo and let the modding begin!
Old Apr 23, 2009, 08:24 AM

yeah I just ordered up some fluids for the tranny,and diffs. the car had 37k on it. I will search the clutch pedal how to. im getting a little worried that the ticking may be more of a clunking on the front pass side. wheel bearings come to mind.

seems I may of picked up a lemon. hopefully some tlc will help. the hks air filter doesn't look like it was ever changed/cleaned. I am replacing it with the txs. by the way its a 5 speed.

thank you everyone for the impute. I really appreciate it!