Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.
View Poll Results: Single 20s Male, No Debt, Avg Monthly Expenses... What Income Level to Afford an EvoX
40-50k
33.33%
50-60k
33.33%
60-75k
20.00%
75k+
13.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Evo X Affordable at What Income Level?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2009, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ yup thats a big reason pulling me in the evo direction. 300hp, manual transmission, awd, not many options with those features, at least not many under 30-35k.
Old May 4, 2009, 03:55 PM

I think you might like the ralliart a little bit better. It doesn't sound like you are trying to push the performance of the evo too much, so maybe you don't need it. You might be better off spending less money and getting the ralliart. Still would get a pretty quick car, same evo style, awd, etc. Only thing is whether or not you want the SST, but since you aren't modding, everything should be covered by warranty.
Old May 4, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do what i do, live with your parents
Old May 4, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xxBURT0Nxx
I think you might like the ralliart a little bit better. It doesn't sound like you are trying to push the performance of the evo too much, so maybe you don't need it. You might be better off spending less money and getting the ralliart. Still would get a pretty quick car, same evo style, awd, etc. Only thing is whether or not you want the SST, but since you aren't modding, everything should be covered by warranty.
I have to have a manual transmission, so the ralliart is out. I want the evo so i can finally say I have the best and won't feel like I'm missing out on anything.
Old May 4, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Wow I make way less than 40K and can afford it =)
Old May 4, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

^^ can you comfortably afford it? are u dipping into any other funds? do you pay rent?
Old May 4, 2009, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Just look at your payments. I'm a single guy in 20's. I have a $1200 mortgage payment with a roommate that pays about $400. I can still save some money month to money but sometimes I end up dipping into savings. I don't think I'd buy a new Evo since I didn't want payments over $400 period. I'm in same boat as you, I doubt I'll mod it. I have a drop in only and would prefer to have back up money than money into car, especially since there's no where I can actually ride it around here w/o a ton of cops on my ***.

Figure out cost of insurance. Mine's ~$700/6months. Not too bad but could have been really cheap if I went with a beater car like I was thinking. Figure out your rent/mortgage situation. Homes are damn expensive and I recommend staying the hell away.
Old May 4, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blast83
Just look at your payments. I'm a single guy in 20's. I have a $1200 mortgage payment with a roommate that pays about $400. I can still save some money month to money but sometimes I end up dipping into savings. I don't think I'd buy a new Evo since I didn't want payments over $400 period. I'm in same boat as you, I doubt I'll mod it. I have a drop in only and would prefer to have back up money than money into car, especially since there's no where I can actually ride it around here w/o a ton of cops on my ***.

Figure out cost of insurance. Mine's ~$700/6months. Not too bad but could have been really cheap if I went with a beater car like I was thinking. Figure out your rent/mortgage situation. Homes are damn expensive and I recommend staying the hell away.
Thanks for the response man. I'm probably in the same situation as you except I pay 1000 for apartment rent, no equity building up there, at least you have that.

I have money in savings/stocks but I dont want to dip into that at all. I just want to be able to afford this with monthly income, looks like I can, just have to find the right deal to really push me over the edge and get one. Anyone know where I can get an EvoX with SSS in the northeast for 27k without the 0% financing.
Old May 4, 2009, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Project_Evo
Wow I make way less than 40K and can afford it =)
That definitely gives me more comfortable about me purchasing my evo soon. Thanks I will be making bit over 100k but I wasn't sure how tax would play around and I never had this kind of money before. Hopefully I can post pic of my new evo in a month or so
Old May 5, 2009, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by mmartahus
^^ so whats the consenses on how long the clutch should be good for given daily driving, no track days, and just some nice 2nd/3rd/4rth gear pulls on the onramps whenever i decide to take the highway somewhere.
My honest vote there is around 1 year or 12-15k miles on tires and 1-3 years/5-36k miles on clutch. Read around on the tires and the clutch. Our evo is my wifes daily driver, no track days, just winding roads. The dealer replace our tires at around 8k miles (mostly due to bad rear alignment, but front were worn badly too). Our clutch just got replaced last night, at about 10k miles. Tires, unless you baby it on every turn I cant imagine more than 15k miles safely. Clutch, was my fault, but id say with NO launching and easy driving, still looking at less than 36k miles in most cases.

But, I also remember my wifes 08GTS tires being replaced within 15k miles. So maybe shes just a hell raiser.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Once again i have to chime in here- Clutches should NEVER go out in less than 36k miles on an unmodified car unless you are doing something wrong or racing your car. They are not designed to fail so quickly, even in performance cars. Clutches are d*** expensive to replace and if they failed after 2-3 years of mild driving no one in their right mind would drive a stick.

For someone in your situation, who is not looking to abuse the car and looking to have an awesome DD, your clutch will be fine and should go for a minimum of 50k and could go much longer. Some evo8 clutches didn't go out until 80k! My OZ clutch went at about 68K and the previous owner didn't know how to drive. I know the evo and OZ powertrains are different, but the evo clutch should be stronger and able to compensate.

Summer tires break down quickly but offer the best performance. All-Seasons will not perform as well but will typically last a lot longer. Having winter and summer tires on two separate sets of rims is the most convenient but its not necessary. If you are not planning on pushing the evo to the limits, there is no reason for you not to get some great all seasons and call it.

If you are under 25 your insurance could get nasty. But a lot of that also depends on your driving record as well. Also, the pay scale you listed is really going to depend on where you live with regards to whether or not it could facilitate owning an evo. In Washington DC where I live you would have to earn a decent amount more than 60k in your early-mid 20's to be comfortable paying city rent, insurance, and driving an evo.

I generally feel like a lot of members on here earning 40k or less and driving an evo is insane. Unless you live with your parents (which is totally fine, just saying), it is unfathomable to me to have someone paying rent, insurance, bills, and evo payments on a 40k salary. It just seems like you are playing with fire.

I'm guessing thats not your situation though. If you think you can afford it and have done the math (and factored it into your future), you really should get it! I would be in your exact same spot right now if I was not planning on going to grad school in the spring. I just decided on it a few months ago, so my plans did change. if I knew I wasn't going back for more school though, I would be in a wrx or evo IX right now.
Old May 5, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

i have contacted 5 dealers in my state and no one will budge below 29.2k

what happened to all the 27-28k deals that people said are out there. This sucks, i would buy it for 27, but not for 29+ tax
Old May 5, 2009, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

There are a lot of variables and really it's going to vary from person to person. BUT, one thing to keep in mind is stability, I had some major changes with school/work and I'm really struggling right now. It sucks and could be a lot worse but it's defiantly something to consider.
Old May 5, 2009, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

i have contacted 5 dealers in my state and no one will budge below 29.2k

what happened to all the 27-28k deals that people said are out there. This sucks, i would buy it for 27, but not for 29+ tax
^ ROTFLMF'nAO

Base price for an entry level Evo is $30,685....AFTER $3,000 in rebates ($2,000 + $500 Military + $500 Loyalty).

A few folks got some awesome deals, cars.com has about 6 new Evo's under $29,000, starting at $28,566.

For 27, you need to be looking at:

1. Used 2008 Evo (GSR)
2. New 2009 RA

Cars.com:
Evo = $28,566 (GSR) - $46,048 (MR)
RA = $22,045 (3,000 miles) - $32,593 (fully loaded)

You can get a 2008 GSR with 10,000 miles for $25,900.
Old May 5, 2009, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

ugh this blowwws! im just gonna end up waiting till next year so i can get a certified 07 335xi for like 27k

Quick Reply: Evo X Affordable at What Income Level?