Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.
View Poll Results: Single 20s Male, No Debt, Avg Monthly Expenses... What Income Level to Afford an EvoX
40-50k
33.33%
50-60k
33.33%
60-75k
20.00%
75k+
13.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Evo X Affordable at What Income Level?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you have to calm down and just keep looking for that deal. your not on a clock that says you have to get one by the end of the month or else. Let the deal come to you. Search around and just keep looking i have seen some evo X under 28k but thats really looking and searching and majority of the time they dont last long.
Old May 6, 2009, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Project_Evo
Wow I make way less than 40K and can afford it =)
Originally Posted by mmartahus
^^ can you comfortably afford it? are u dipping into any other funds? do you pay rent?
Yup =) I did sell my bike and G20t though, so my monthly payments are only about 350 a month. I'm months ahead and afford the vehicle very well making way less than even 30k a year...
Old May 6, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cedric
I would stick with the gts. I too wanted a evo, considered trading up my eclipse, in the end though it would just keep me from saving more money for later. My payments are 300 a month for the eclipse, I'm Paying 600-800 so i can get rid of a bill faster.
Don't get me wrong, im a college student maying 1.7k a month, i know i can afford the evo, but i dont like the idea of being in debt. The money saved from not buying a evo, helps me to save up for after college, house/condo
You're one of the smarter people on these forums.
Old May 6, 2009, 02:39 PM
Account Disabled

Times are tough. Make sure you are 100% in wanting it before you get it.
Old May 6, 2009, 04:55 PM

If you can take advantage of putting a down payment and the 0% financing, then i would say go for it (0% because to me, i'm just paying for the price of the car. Not the price of the car + the bank). Most certainly live within your means and as people have stated, you must take into consideration the gas consumption, your monthly spending habits, rent, and other financial bills you pay.

Being that I just moved up to cali, i waited for about 6-8 months to settle down and figure out, monthly, all of my expenses. once you have that figured out, figure out what the cost of insurance would be for the evo x. I created an excel spreadsheet that laid out for me my monthly payments for the evo based on interests rates and loan amount ranging from 0-8%.

Once i have this figured out, i would deduct all of this from my monthly income. If i could live with the monthly dues (of everything combined) then it would tell me if i'm ready or not. If you want, I will be more than happy to send you my excel spreadsheet determining monthly payments based on the price of the car and how much you put down. pm me with your email address if you wish to do so.

Last edited by EVOX56; May 6, 2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old May 6, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

^^ yea i have created a number of excel sheets and i can definitely afford one for 27-28k, problem is none of the dealers around me are willing to go below 30k OTD. I'm going to keep waiting for the right deal to come around.
Old May 6, 2009, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

You guys also aren't taking into account the COL in this survey/poll. Someone making 55k in BFE will definitely be able to afford an Evo whereas someone who lives pretty much anywhere in California I would think would have to in the 70-80 range to be able to afford it. The COL out there in Cali is ridiculous for you guys. I feel bad.
Old May 7, 2009, 06:25 AM

^^ yea i have created a number of excel sheets and i can definitely afford one for 27-28k, problem is none of the dealers around me are willing to go below 30k OTD. I'm going to keep waiting for the right deal to come around.
just wait it out. You will be able to get a brand new 08 for cheaper once the 2010's are released. If you just give it 2-6 more months I bet you will be able to find one for like 26-27k brand new OTD
Old May 7, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I decided i was tired of car notes. I've been paying my wifes since she's had the ca but the worst note i ever had was 497. I hated it. I make 65k a year....my wife was making 30K a year before the recession (really depression) hit. I started with my current company 2 years ago. It was a startup an it got bought. I was given stock when I came on board and it ended being worth more then a little bit.

I sold all my toys (performance cars) and suffered with enjoying my hobby for the last 2 years. When some of the stock vested i decided *** it. I deserver I've sacrificed and I never view a car as depreciating asset because I plan on keeping the car as long as I can or keep it in good enough condition to where if I did want to sell it I should get a good amount for it.

23k is a lot of cash to come up with but this was like my signing bonus and as far as I'm concerned anything that doesn't interrrupt my regular paycheck from taking care of responsibilities and savings plan then its fair game. There is always something you could spend money on woiser or invest....but I like cars and if it doesn't interrupt my responsibilities as a man, father and husband....then I think I have reserved the right to enjoy the fruits of my labor....otherwise why the hell am I doing this.
Old May 7, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xxBURT0Nxx
just wait it out. You will be able to get a brand new 08 for cheaper once the 2010's are released. If you just give it 2-6 more months I bet you will be able to find one for like 26-27k brand new OTD
I feel like there wont be any left by then. Only 15 or so left in my state.
Old May 7, 2009, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

I feel like there wont be any left by then. Only 15 or so left in my state.
...so the dealer says. Who here has had a dealer tell them the truth?

There is no shortage of new Evo X's for sale.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

i have checked the website inventory of the few mitsu dealers in MA and also checked ebay, cars.com, autotrader.com, etc.. With the SSS package, there are only a dozen or so left in the state. Most any one dealer has is like 5, so its hard to really get them to understand I'm not buying the car unless they go well below invoice. They are going to loose money selling to me, but they must be used to loosing money on some cars that have been sitting there for a long time. No one wants to go below invoice minus incentives/rebates.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

I would say you should buy used but since they are offering 0% apr... it almost makes more financial sense to buy new.

What if you waited a year or two. In the meantime you put all the money into a savings account that you would have been paying had you purchased the evo now. So for each month, you pay the theoretical monthly payment, insurance, and gas etc to your savings account. This way, you'll get to do a mock run of owning an evo, all while putting money away. Then, in a year or two, you can use that saved money as a massive downpayment and easily afford your monthly payments on a new 2010 evo.