Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Hey guys, please help me decide, evo or sti

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2009, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, please help me decide, evo or sti

i know i know... probably all of you guys are biased toward the evo.... but i really cant decide as this has become a very hard decision.

first off, i have a 06 wrx currently thats a lease which im returning in a few days.

i have 2 cars that i have in mind.

1. 2005 subaru STI, 60,000 miles, aspen white w/ few suspension mods
the bad: have to replace passnger headlight, alternator belt, and cvboot

cost: 19400.

2. 2006 mitsubishi evolution 9 MR, 48,000 miles, apex silver? w/ few mods as well
the bad: nothing

cost: 19000 *hopefully i can break him down a little more =)*

i will be using this car... for my daily driver, something fast with minimal mods... i'd say stage 2 (is there a such a thing on a evo??)
and i definitely need something that is RELIABLE. With my wrx, my transmission blew because its so weak. i just dont wanna go through that kind of a trouble again!!

i would like to go tracking/drag racing occasionally at a local track

thanks, and all of your inputs and opinions will be greatly appreciated!

-brandon
Old May 11, 2009, 02:07 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok i will help u out here considering its 3.57 int he morning haha

I think im qualified to talk in this situation since i had a sti then sold it for my evo.

Lets start off with the sti

The sti is an overall great car for a Daily driver.
Options such as cruise control, auto climate, compous on the rear view mirior, outside temp on cluster, and has regular seat adjustment instead of the dumb dials that evo recaros have, and probably the best feature ( differential adjustment of power transfer)

Also the sound of the car is amazing

When i had my sti i loved the car to death, it drove it every day and it was very comfortable on the roads and had nice low end torque. After some autoxs i noticed the car had a tendency to oversteer alot.and the rear end of the car would always like to kick out like a rwd car.

The problem with the sti is power. Once you start getting into the mod game the sti has a lack of producing power like an evo.
This is the best way to put it, a sti will require a lot more money to be as quick as an evo.
some may argue but that's sure how i felt.
On my sti i had a down pipe, full exhaust, intake, external wastegate and tune.
With all those mods my car felt dang slow compared to my evo

Now with the evo
The evo has a stiffer suspension and is a little bouncy compared to the sti

I found out making power is so simple. My evo reacts great to mods and she pulls hard.
Also working on the evo is so much easier than the sti (flat 4 engine design).

At my first autox meet the evo felt great. Had a nice overall suspension and never wanted to kick out the rear end like my sti. Also i traped a better time with similar mods with my evo than my sti.

Ya the evo has less options than the sti but overall the evo will satisfy you much more.
It is really up to you on which car u like better, but if i was to give u advice. I would tell you to buy a evo in a heart beat. You will be overall happier with the evo with out a doubt

Last edited by Evokid03; May 11, 2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old May 11, 2009, 02:13 AM
Account Disabled

To make it SUPER SHORT, get the evo! You won't regret it at all. Sti.....STy!?!?!
STy will require hella alot more money than an evo if you were to get big ponies. And STy's have cruise control, so you can be a bish and have cruise control or be a REAL man and get an evo with out it.
Also, when it comes to modding to BIG ponies, evo is it! STy will get take wayyy more money than you can imagine to get big ponies like an evo!
Old May 11, 2009, 02:16 AM
Account Disabled

lol sorry mine was so long
Old May 11, 2009, 02:32 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Evokid03
lol sorry mine was so long

LOL! it's all good dood! I just made it short so the OP can get my view of it as well.
But your rant was perfect! Said it very nice mang!
EVO FTMFW!!! STY!?!?!?!?!
Old May 11, 2009, 10:36 AM

thanks guys hahah

here is a full list of mods the evo that im looking at has...

Greddy Catback Ti Exhaust
Tanabe downpipe, ARC air intake
ARC Ti Front Strut bar
Ralliart aluminum rear strut bar
Apexi power stabilizer
NGK Race Plugs
Ralliart Spark Plug wires
REXpeed carbon fiber radiator plate
Greddy radiator cap
Ralliart thermostat
And a manual boost controller

Ralliart front lip
Ralliart shifter panel
REXpeed Carbon fiber front window corner covers
Rexpeed Carbon fiber side flairs
REXpeed Carbon Fiber middle arm rest cover
Carbon Craft Carbon fiber exhaust heat shield
JDM style Evo IX MR badge
Evo VII tail lights
Diamond Cut aluminum front driver's side floor mat
Mitsubishi blue aluminum shift knob
Work Emotion 18in rims (Ralliart style color - unknown if they are the actual Ralliart Edition Work Emotions)
New Falken RA tires
Rally Armor mud flaps
Arc Audio Speakers
Apline IPOD dedicated style stereo with Sirius radio and Auxiliary audio input cable.

thanks again, and i think your right evokid, i love my wrx to death, had it fully built w/ 6speed and 30r etc, and it was an amazing car. its just time to move on, and everyone seems to tell me, you alrdy had a subaru, why not a evo this time? the only thing that led me to the subaru was... well because i alrdy know them and how they work etc.

and i've got to be honest here, everytime i saw a evo on the streets, i've always envied them thinking how cool they look, and esp how SICK they sound with cams and what not...

thanks for your input, greatly appreciated, if the deal goes through after seeing hte car in person tonight, i shall make it happen as early as wed! then i'll join you guys =D

thanks again guys,
brandon
Old May 11, 2009, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

with those mods, u better jump on that EVO IX, bad thing is, if you go EVO, you will look down upon sti's
Old May 11, 2009, 11:36 AM

I too have always wanted an '05 STi, but I ended up in the EVO. If you plan on modding and having a livable DD then the EVO is for you. I do wish I had cruise and a true cruising gear, but I love my car anyways..

For that money EVO FTW!
Old May 11, 2009, 12:15 PM
D4o

Originally Posted by F1fan07
I too have always wanted an '05 STi, but I ended up in the EVO. If you plan on modding and having a livable DD then the EVO is for you. I do wish I had cruise and a true cruising gear, but I love my car anyways..

For that money EVO FTW!
^^ I second to that, my dream car use to be a white 05 STi, but ended up very happy with my EVO.
Old May 11, 2009, 07:07 PM

bump .... the evo performs better but it seams like the sti is a better daily
Old May 12, 2009, 07:50 AM

if your looking for a daily driver get the STI...I had an 06 STI that I just sold and bought an evo x...and as for power I do not regret getting rid of it but if I had to drive the evo everyday I would not do it. So the choice is up to you...and the sti you are looking at is way to expensive...guy is trying to rip you off. I sold my 06 with 30K for 21 so just look around and you will find a better deal.
Old May 12, 2009, 07:59 AM

If you count money wise, Evo sounds like a way better deal!

Cheaper, has mods, and you said no 'bad' bits.
So whats stopping you? :P
Old May 12, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Drive both, pick the one you like. That particular Sti has some costs for repairs, but really as long as they are both well maintained then you can flip a coin. After minimal mods, they are basically the same (which is what you plan on doing from what I can tell)
Old May 12, 2009, 08:55 AM

i say go with the evo.. my buddie had a sti and with no mods besides a cai and i drove it. and now that i have my ralliart..(i know not an evo but still) i feel that my ralliart has more power that it.. but i do have more mods than he did..
Old May 12, 2009, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

drive both, add up what u like and dont like about both and buy the one that best fits you. as far as what it sounds like ur looking to do, either car will be a great choice, but personally, id go evo and never look back (unless ur checking to make sure u didnt just pass a cop, lol)

Quick Reply: Hey guys, please help me decide, evo or sti