Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Buying EVO, need advice, tried searching already :/

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying EVO, need advice, tried searching already :/

I'm going to look at an Evo this weekend, its an 05, he doesnt know if its GSR or RS, but I asked him if it has crank windows and he didnt reply yet so we'll see.

Anyways, what should I look,listen, smell, etc for? I searched around here, and already read the sticky.

The obvious would be the 5th gear grind
I know what bad CV joints sound like etc...

I wanted to run a compression test, but I dont know how to do that. I read a few tutorials that say turn the piston to the top position or something I woudnt know how to do that, turning a piston by hand? what? lol

Please advise!
Old May 20, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Test drive it. If it runs bad, don't buy it. If it seems ok and you like it, have a mechanic check it out. Also, run the vin and see if it has been in any accidents.

The thing about a modded car that you buy used is that, it could be a garage queen or it could have been a weekend race car.

I would look for a low mileage car, and remember if it is around 60-80k in mileage it will be time to change the timing belt.
Old May 20, 2009, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Find out if its on the stock clutch

Also look at the brembos if there really dark maroon its been to the track. besides that just check normal things

Oil rad fluid exhaust bolts look for heat sheilds, check to see if there is a boost gage and look at how high its boosting

there are tons of things to look for.

Mainly though heat sheilds and brakes
Old May 21, 2009, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the replies, is there any easy way to detect boost leak?
Old May 21, 2009, 08:10 AM

theres a post on hear if your search it its how to make a boost leak tester for 5.02 or you can take it to a local shop that knows these cars and have them do a test.
Old May 21, 2009, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Buying a used Evo was something I considered a while back. For about 12 years of buying cars 50/50 used/new, I can say that I only have one flawless purchase of a used car... and that was a certified pre-owned. The rest always had issues and at one time, I had to spend somewhere around $3K to get it running well... only to trade it in less than a year later.

The thing about the Evo is it's a performance car and it seems to attract the younger "racer" crowd, chances are half the time, they are abused... modded ones even more likely. You never know what problems you are inheriting unless you have it fully inspected by professionals. Even then, that's no guarantee.

New Evos can be had for $5,000 to $8,000 off WITH 0% APR here in California. That's another option you might want to consider:-)

Last edited by tipoytm; May 21, 2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old May 21, 2009, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

well there are several things you should do:
test drive it yourself, both slow, and at highway speeds. listen for noises, wheel rubbing, feel the trans shift, high rpm sound, etc....
second, its important to communicate with the seller. ask as many Q's as u can think of.... no one knows the car like he/she does....
its also a must to take the car to a shop, to be put on a lift, to check out the undercarriage. look for rust, damage, oil leaks....
also, if u r able to show the car to someone familiar with evos, that would be great! if u can tell whether the car had modification, and was restored prior to being offered for sale, that would be great as well...
yes u can run a carfax, but unfortunately carfax often doesnt mention minor fender benders, or other incidents which werent reported to the police....

but in the end, u just never know, and are at the mercy of the higher power... good luck
Old May 24, 2009, 08:36 AM

Hi guys, so i drove the car and it felt amazing. i dont know why people say EVOs are unconfortable, it rode really smooth, not rough at all...

but anyways, i've a question about the ACD lights. When car turns on, you can cycle through them, but once you start driving the lights all turn on (all 3). I was searching here and thats not supposed to happen? I'm not sure please advice,
Thanks
Old May 24, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

correct, definitely not supposed to happen
Old May 24, 2009, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by S6devil
correct, definitely not supposed to happen
Poop... should I take it to the dealership? How much is a pump replacement cost?