Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New Evo X or a used Evo IX?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2009, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Bones
Wow, how did I know this thread was gonna be total flame bait.

Why do 9 guys bash the X, but X guys give 9 guys props? Maturity level???

I thought we all drove Evos here??? Ok back OT.

I like both cars. The 9 has a more edgy feeling to it when you drive it. The interior isn't that great but hey the X interior isn't much better. The X is a little more subdued than the 9. For back road ,though, I'd get the X. It's true the 9 is faster than the X straight line, but as some folks above me said a tune will put you right back in there with the 9.

It's all about what you want to live with ok the day to day. Good Luck!
The Flame bate worked!! lol
Lets set this straight,

Not bashing the car at all, Just stated a FACT!
The style of the 9 is timeless, didnt call it hideous... did anyone??....no
Im a owner of a X myself and your observation of the both is true, the X Sugar coats everything.. redefined ride, wider track, more ridgity slightly feels almost like an audi (damn near just as heavy)..
the true potential of technology/engine capabilities of the X wont be seen till 2011...
the Same to be said when the 8 first arrived in 03. it took 2 years for the evo to really take off. Keeping in mind usin a power plant that had been around for 15+years so the aftermarket had been strongly in its favor.
If your a do-it-your-self-er get the raw 9 . If your looking for more of an audi like crusin DD, "which is nice" but softer! get the X
The values on the 9s are just about as low as they will go, the Xs are still depreciate'n and will for a few years.
Drive em both!
Old May 24, 2009, 06:39 PM

thanks guys for helping me out here but I just have a question, I test drove the Red Evo yesterday and the salesman told me the Evo was a MR?! WTF? I thought MR's are 6speed and has that roof spoiler + the EVO spoiler too?

Well besides that, I really like the red Evo. I think its a nice car but I still gotta go check out the silver one and the X this Tuesday. I also drove a new eclipse but its not as fun as the EVO!
Old May 24, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Yes MRs are 6-speed. Before getting my IX RS, I was supposed to get an VIII MR. Turned out it was a fake, the dealer dressed up an VIII with MR parts. Just be careful. The new eclipse? You're kidding, right?

mike bones: I have a IX while my buddy has a X. I always always give props to the X. In fact, after a few more years with my IX, I'd really love to own a X.
Old May 24, 2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy Eyes
Yes MRs are 6-speed. Before getting my IX RS, I was supposed to get an VIII MR. Turned out it was a fake, the dealer dressed up an VIII with MR parts. Just be careful. The new eclipse? You're kidding, right?

mike bones: I have a IX while my buddy has a X. I always always give props to the X. In fact, after a few more years with my IX, I'd really love to own a X.
So how many models were there for the IX? The ones I only know are RS, SE, MR, and MR-SE. Any other way to double check the car to make sure its real? Gosh this is why I should of got more into other car makers then Honda and Toyota. haha

Anyways, which was the IX that came with a spoiler, sunroof, and everything else without the 6speed and leather? I know RS doesn't come with power windows, mirrors, door handles were not colored, no spoiler, and no ABS... but the RED EVO I test drove had everything besides the sunroof and 6speed.... I'm so confused here... haha to me, its like looking for a 96-00 Honda Civic HX at the dealers, and it comes with all Si parts without the B16 engine. WTHeck right! haha

Well thanks for answering my noob questions.

Last edited by NinjaDC5; May 24, 2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old May 25, 2009, 07:14 AM

the only way to really seperate the imposters from the real MRs (Ive never heard of a fake yet!). Bring a magnet with you, if it sticks to the roof its not an MR!
Old May 26, 2009, 11:55 AM

I am in a similar boat - do i buy a IX or a X? If i were you I would start by looking at IX's. Owning and operating these cars is a bit more dough than the monthly payment. For this reason and my wanting to start tracking a car - I am going for the IX. I had a new STI 3 years ago and between the car payment, car insurance, and gas I had very little money for anything else! I'm not doing that to myself again!

I am saving up in the next several months and getting a used IX early fall.
Old May 26, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

IX : paranoid:

Old May 26, 2009, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

IX=loud more mean lean muscle machine, rough to drive
X=taking its step to reach IX, more quiet, comfort, even my mom will be safe to drive.

X is more DD
IX is more fun

Also there are tons of IX parts available and priced cheaper than newer X parts.

I drive IX
Want X but will be losing too much money.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

had a IX with boltons, picked a X this time around.

reason being X is the newer car, great price given the economy, and i like the handling balance and increased chassis rigidity. power is weak (or car too heavy) in stock form, but bolt-ons and tune will fix that quickly. a TBE/Tune IX vs. TBE/Tune X will be interesting, i'm going to find out after my X is modded with the same mods as my IX. X's weight distribution makes it feel much more neutral in the corners than the IX, and having had an s2000 i really like that about the X.

give it some time and the X's aftermarket will be as vast and cheap as the IX's...i made my IX get to 330whp with $600, it'll take some time for my X to get there with the same money lol
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:00 AM

Go with the 9 and you will be fine.. I had that same choice and I got the 9MR but I bought it new. They have history in the 9 and made it one of the best evo's and it is proven. The other evo is also the evo 6 Tommi M. but the point is that the nine looks better in my opinion and is faster stock over stock x. The x is more family sedanish. Either way, u wont regret because after all, its an evo. If they have great deals as mentioned above, for the x get it. Most 9's are already modded used. If u find one that is new than go for it. Its just up to u. Good luck
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if money is a issue i say get a evo 8. you can get all fully loaded one for under 20k yes it is true most likely it was modded but lets be honest almost every evo 9 included not X of course has been modded in some way. Whether it was TBE a intake pipes a TUNE thats not stock. When you buy a used evo you take the responsiblity of knowing there might be something wrong you have to fix thats a fact of life just make sure you save up a extra 2k then buy your evo 8 - 9 get its inspected again and see whats really going on and fix it. Remember if it is broke your gonna fix it anways the EvoX is a good car nothing wrong with it just not raw and people say with a tune you can get like 70hp out of it no mods at all but all i say if i buy a new X im not modding anything period least you have a warranty for awhile so hold on to that nothing worst then the clutch going out and you have to revert back to stock
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

to the people saying there was an 07 IX, just not in the states: right, but thats irrelevant since the OP is in the states. i believe they couldn't make an 07 IX because it didn't meet some sort of safety standard in time (side airbags?) don't confuse him!

i was in this same boat (used IX or X) and i'm going with the X. i've seen some amazing numbers from just a TBE/intake/tune on a X (330whp at EFI Logics). plus, in my opinion the X looks are WAY nicer/aggressive than the IX's. especially since you can fit 19x10" wheels with a +25 offset!
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ instead of the 07 evo in the US mits put out the SE model (9.5)
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
^^ instead of the 07 evo in the US mits put out the SE model (9.5)
i wouldn't call it a 9.5 - i would just call it an edition of the IX. so my statement is still true; there is no 07 Evo in the states. SE does not equal 07 evo.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

I bought a X becouse I got burned by an STI that had been wrecked and modded and then sold as unwrecked and stock....grrrrrrrrr

Quick Reply: New Evo X or a used Evo IX?