Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Financed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2009, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Financed

noob question... how would u go about selling a car that you still owe money to the bank? I am thinking about selling my IX.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

different states have it different but, it usually works as if you have the title it has a lien recorded on it meaning you owe money on it, so lets say once you decide to sell it and the person buying you pays you the money, you then take that money and pay off your loan and get a lien release on the title clearing it of any debts. Process usually take about a week or so pending on banks and thats how you sell it. This way your loan is paid and the buys gets the car just has to wait a little
Old Jun 10, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I sold my Evo I still owed. I had the buyer sign the bill of sale and had it noterized (just in case) Then He paid me with the understanding that the car was still owned by the bank and had to wait for me to pay off the lien and wait for the title to be released to me so I could sign it over to him. Took about a week maybe two total. He lived about 2 hours away so it made it easier we delt in person most of the way
Old Jun 11, 2009, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by EMonz57
When I sold my Evo I still owed. I had the buyer sign the bill of sale and had it noterized (just in case) Then He paid me with the understanding that the car was still owned by the bank and had to wait for me to pay off the lien and wait for the title to be released to me so I could sign it over to him. Took about a week maybe two total. He lived about 2 hours away so it made it easier we delt in person most of the way
That's kinda how I thought the process is, I know the DMV here in VA has a document that you can request that gives that person the rights to transfer the title to their name I guess it's that bill of sale that you mentioned. Just giving me the money my make some ppl thinking I am trying to screw them and not sign the title after I get the car released from the bank. Having this sort of document makes any buyer feel a little more safe

btw thanks for the answers
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lilevil
That's kinda how I thought the process is, I know the DMV here in VA has a document that you can request that gives that person the rights to transfer the title to their name I guess it's that bill of sale that you mentioned. Just giving me the money my make some ppl thinking I am trying to screw them and not sign the title after I get the car released from the bank. Having this sort of document makes any buyer feel a little more safe

btw thanks for the answers
yea man, the Bill of sale is a legal document/contract. Getting it noterized will help assure the buyer as well. Just be sure in the bill of sale you have something written stating that the transaction is pending until payment clears and your bank releases the title to you.

It is easy to do this if it is a local sale. If not you may need to either have someone fly out or mail the papers back and forth or something. I am not sure a fax would legitamize a bill of sale or what ever. and to have it noterized I belive it has to be the origanal copy with the actual signatures of buyer and seller.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

I would call the bank/financer that holds your title to see how suggest doing a title transfer. A lot of times the transaction can happen at the bank with the new buyer.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EMonz57
yea man, the Bill of sale is a legal document/contract. Getting it noterized will help assure the buyer as well. Just be sure in the bill of sale you have something written stating that the transaction is pending until payment clears and your bank releases the title to you.

It is easy to do this if it is a local sale. If not you may need to either have someone fly out or mail the papers back and forth or something. I am not sure a fax would legitamize a bill of sale or what ever. and to have it noterized I belive it has to be the origanal copy with the actual signatures of buyer and seller.
To be notarized both the buyer and seller must sign the document at the same time in front of them. Having it signed before hand, even if they show up, they aren't supposed to notarized it.