Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

60,000 Service - how critical?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you dont have the money to do all of the 60k service. WHy not just do the most critical. Just do the timing belt and tensioner. Wait to do the rest later on. if you have access to jackstands and are somewhat mechanically inclined, you could do the other belts and tensioners yourself and save some money as well.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much for the belt? And what more do I need? I'm at 45,000 but I'll like to do it soon
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MeloEVO9
How much for the belt? And what more do I need? I'm at 45,000 but I'll like to do it soon

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

$60 if I did the search correctly. http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/parts.php
go there and look up, easier if you have part numbers. You can just do the tiiming belt, the timing belt tensioner, then just whatever labor rates would be to have it done. Maybe ~$200 to install it.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Also, If you got a flashlight you can peek at your belts and pulleys. If they are still in good condition you can wait a little longer to do them. If they look like they are cracking/worn, then obviously you will need to do them sooner. You can also take a small peak at your timing belt, if you want to remove your crank pulley. You can see a little bit of it to at least get a general idea of what your timing belt condition is in. Its not hard to do but another option I guess.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:00 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by TommiM
Also, If you got a flashlight you can peek at your belts and pulleys. If they are still in good condition you can wait a little longer to do them. If they look like they are cracking/worn, then obviously you will need to do them sooner. You can also take a small peak at your timing belt, if you want to remove your crank pulley. You can see a little bit of it to at least get a general idea of what your timing belt condition is in. Its not hard to do but another option I guess.
thanks bro
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

What about in Months? Should you really replace it after a certain amount of months even if your car doesn't have the mileage? Example in 60 months my car would only have like 15 or 20k miles on it. I wouldn't imagine you would replace it, especially if its not cracked or anything.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
What about in Months? Should you really replace it after a certain amount of months even if your car doesn't have the mileage? Example in 60 months my car would only have like 15 or 20k miles on it. I wouldn't imagine you would replace it, especially if its not cracked or anything.

In general, the stresses of daily driving and heat cycles wear the belts more than the aging and dry rotting from sitting around. I would say mileage would be a better judge. Also I forgot to mention. removing the camgear cover can also expose the timing belt to get a better look. 5 years with only 15K I wouldnt think the timing belt would have dry rotted to need to get replaced before 60K. But like I said, it doesnt hurt to spend a few minutes to look at it. It can save you lots more in the long run.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

^ Yea my car is garaged so it can probably go years I'm guessing hehe
Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
^ Yea my car is garaged so it can probably go years I'm guessing hehe

I work at a dealership. I saw a 1984 mercedes come in with only 35K miles and all the belts were still good. A little dry rotted but still decent actually,hehe.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
Your Timing Belt is easily accessible by removing the Upper Timing Cover/ Cam Gear Cover.... That is your Timing belt, no need to go after the Crank Pulley Disconnecting the CAS and Bumping the Engine would allow you to assess the Belts Condition fully. The 60K is the Recommended Service interval you can do it earlier as a lot of People do, but I am confident that if you are strapped for cash you can make it to 75K safely, start putting away 20 Dollars a Week and you will have that money in no time to get the Service done correctly.

Deak
Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by demodeakin
Your Timing Belt is easily accessible by removing the Upper Timing Cover/ Cam Gear Cover.... That is your Timing belt, no need to go after the Crank Pulley Disconnecting the CAS and Bumping the Engine would allow you to assess the Belts Condition fully. The 60K is the Recommended Service interval you can do it earlier as a lot of People do, but I am confident that if you are strapped for cash you can make it to 75K safely, start putting away 20 Dollars a Week and you will have that money in no time to get the Service done correctly.

Deak

Ya, I dont know why I spaced that off, my mind was elsewhere I guess. I was swapping out my crank pulley today, so I was able to get a peek at my belt. It didnt hit me that its much more obvious and easier to just remove that cam cover,hehe.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Coming up on change number 2.

I replaced all both belts, tensoiners, pulleys and the Water Pump at 60k and will do the same this time.

Cheap insurance plus I do the work myself so
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

most cars you don't change the timing belt until 100k...but they aren't turbo cars either...and most newer cars you never change the timing chain at all like my 2009 toyota tacoma...the newer chains are self adjusting i think on toyotas and hondas and such...dunno about mitsu...the evo has a belt...they can break so best to change it at 60k or close as possible...my old toyota truck (1988) had a timing chain...i think the previous owner changed it once at 100k....i bought it with 100k on it and drove it to 300k and never changed it....never had a single problem...but it was a chain not a belt and it was a toyota....lol
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

im at 62k its my daily i dont boost it to much and i cant aford it at all right to be changed!! Iv seen one evo go 90k without changing it and havnt talked to him in a while but he still has it i know that
Old Jun 21, 2009, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Mines at 71k and i still havent done the timing belt...

knock on wood**

Quick Reply: 60,000 Service - how critical?