Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Buying an Evo... concerns

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying an Evo... concerns

Here's the dilemma.
I pretty much have 2 to choose from... both same price range, both IX MR's.

One is White, which is my #1 color choice and has 24k miles.
It has TBE, intake, and MBC. It's tuned by speed element and the guy said it's tuned to 1.65 peak boost (isnt that like 24psi)? I'm really worried about that because its super high for a stock turbo and stock intercooler. I know the car has been raced before, both on the streets and on the track. The guy is a car enthusiast, but also the car has probably taken a lot of abuse.
There are lots of small rock chips on the front bumper and a chip on the windshield.

Second one is Gray, my #2 color choice and has 40k miles.
It's completely stock except for a chipped ECU, but stock boost. the guy is 45, and said he's never raced it (only can take his word for it), and is in really good condition. better condition then the white, except for one big scratch (3 inches) along side door body line.

Which is the better choice? I really want the white one.... but i'm worried about the motor, but the milage is also much less.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Id go with the person that knows more about the car and did more maintenance.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

they claim both are regularly maintained, oil changes, etc... but both do the work themselves.
trade off here is high milage vs abused engine.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Whatever your choice, I have a couple of suggestions. Anyone will tell you what you want to hear in order to sell you the car... Assume the worst. If you cannot check the basics for yourself, have them take it to a shop to check for the normal things such as compression, metal in fluids, etc. Also, have any car you purchase retuned... My 2c.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

I would buy new. I'll never buy used again. I got my evo for cheaps now I spent more money than I actually have getting it fixed perfect, yeah its great but the time and money hassels would have deff been worth the extra 10 grand if I had the cash
Old Jul 6, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The one with 40k probably already has had its clutch changed
Old Jul 6, 2009, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Word on people saying things just because.....

Either way, buy what you want but get it checked out before you take delivery of it. but I would not worry about the car being raced, there is probably 5% of the evos in the market that have NOT been raced. The rest of push em, thats what they are made for.

I hope you know about the evo world though, these cars are very expensive in almost every avenue. So I hope your not thinking that this is going to be a cheap car to own.

Best of luck to you man, I know I don't regret it even after putting almost a years worth of salary into it. LOL
Old Jul 7, 2009, 01:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es
The one with 40k probably already has had its clutch changed
He's still on stock clutch.

thanks guys for the insight. i'll be getting both cars inspected before i make my decision.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 04:24 AM
Evolving Member

Just remember this when you buy a used car you are just buying someone else's problems. Good luck with everything though.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

fyi no one drive a evo without abusing it sorry it takes ever inch of selfcontrol not to do burning donuts in my evoX but doesnt mean i dont punch it through the gears redlining it from light to light every now and then and power sliding turns got to love pa roads for that lol but if ur buy a use evo and dont plan on rebuilding a motor or tranny it better still be under warrenty then!!!!!!!!!!

i would say the gray one the scratch is a 200 fix burn pistion rings or bad turbo talking g's man if its all stock with 40k and maintance done still should have atleast another 40k even if he beat it ask him how often he went throw tires on it in the 40k good sign if under 13k was hard on it 13-15k played around every now and then and 15k or more he babied it around

Last edited by GSRdriver08Show; Jul 7, 2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Drive both cars then decide. Based on what you posted, i would get the white one because it has parts i would buy for the car. Mileage seems low on both cars. Assuming that service on the vehicles was timely, both cars should be in good condition due to low mileage.

To be sure have a mechanic inspect the car.

I have 60k on my evo, boostin 24psi for 91octane on stock turbo. So much more fun than stock!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

I would personally say either one. the guy with the white car has openely admitted that its been raced, and that being said, if he seems like quite the enthusiast, he has probably taken good care of the car. i bought mine used with 42k on the clock, and had been modded. checked everything over, everything looks good. had my friend who is a mitsu master tech and has been tuning dsm's for years drive it, check it over and havent had a lick of real problems (save for the clutch a few hundred miles after i bought it, but thats kinda par for the course). ive put 13k on it since march and run numerous autocross/drag events, and just kept up on my maintenence (fluids at 45k gonna do again at 60 with tbelt etc). dont look forward to many problems. either car is going to be a good car, but it is going to have something break on it at some point. save a couple g's for ICSH (in case sh.. happens) fund.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have interests in a project car and eventually building a 2.3 w/ hot cams and new valve gear, etc, buy the white car. Then when it breaks, it is icing on the cake and if it doesn't break, it is icing on the cake . If you need a reliable daily driver, the gray car is the one to buy. Hot little turbos weather abuse poorly...
Old Jul 8, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jve153
I would personally say either one. the guy with the white car has openely admitted that its been raced, and that being said, if he seems like quite the enthusiast, he has probably taken good care of the car. i bought mine used with 42k on the clock, and had been modded. checked everything over, everything looks good. had my friend who is a mitsu master tech and has been tuning dsm's for years drive it, check it over and havent had a lick of real problems (save for the clutch a few hundred miles after i bought it, but thats kinda par for the course). ive put 13k on it since march and run numerous autocross/drag events, and just kept up on my maintenence (fluids at 45k gonna do again at 60 with tbelt etc). dont look forward to many problems. either car is going to be a good car, but it is going to have something break on it at some point. save a couple g's for ICSH (in case sh.. happens) fund.
what exactly do you look for? i was just going to do leak test, compression test.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 05:15 PM

will i would take grey