Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Newbie Modder needs help with shopping list

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Newbie Modder needs help with shopping list

Mods, if this is in the wrong area, please move to the appropriate forum section.

Hey guys, purchased the 06 evo about 2 weeks ago and am getting started with my initial mod shopping list.

I've read up on the newbie mod facts and it certainly is helpful in what to start modding. However my only problem is there are no brands suggested for some of the parts. I realize that it's subjective, but being a newbie, I'd like to get some ideas from seasoned modders on what seems to work and why.

Here is my list of initial upgrades I plan to do in the next month or 2. They will be done all at once.
  1. Megan TBE - pretty much decided on this based on recommendation from a tech in my area that works on everyone else's evo's in that area.
  2. CAI or Forced Air Intake system - Not sure on which route to go. Any mfg suggestions/preferences? Links to vendor with good prices?
  3. Manual Boost Controller/Gauges - going with this over electronic since I'm only going to be running the car in the summer and really don't want to deal with any potential hassles from an electronic system.
  4. Upper and Lower Intercooler pipes - Again, forgive my ignorance, but any particular brands better or that will fit the stock system better?
  5. Tune - will have someone do a tune once all the parts are in place. Suggestions based on the mods listed would be appreciated. I plan to still run 91-93 octane gas.
  6. Fuel pump - yes/no? It was suggested that if you are over 350 whp you should change it out. With the mods listed above with tune, should I worry about the Fuel pump at this time?
What could I reasonably expect to see in terms of whp/torque after the mods?

Thanks again for the help guys
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:11 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
sounds good, just how i started off. I just took off my megan downpipe to put in my ETS Turbo kit, if you want a megan downpipe that is in excellent shape but used, that is...
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BUSCHUR BUSCHUR BUSCHUR BUSCHUR!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd go with them for everything possible IMO. And if you life on the western side of PA then you are totally within driving distance to get it tuned. And they have everything on your list.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:41 PM

oh and I have everything on that list minus the pipes and fuel pump, and you can see my dyno result 'allisters car from bad to good'
Old Jul 10, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

^^

Thanks. I do live in Western, PA. Still would be a haul out there, but would be a good weekend trip.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

1. you already have Megan on your list. I'm not impressed with their products, but do whatever you want.

2. Injen's CAI intake, UICP, LICP set.

3. EBC will be less of a hassle than a MBC. I suggest Greddy Profec B

4. see #2

5. Find a local tuner in your area or get a group together and get a tuner on this site to come to you guys

6. Do a Walbro 255 if you're going on anything above stock boost levels.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 01:27 PM
Account Disabled

^ Agreed
Old Jul 10, 2009, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by QwikEVO
1. you already have Megan on your list. I'm not impressed with their products, but do whatever you want.

4. see #2

5. Find a local tuner in your area or get a group together and get a tuner on this site to come to you guys

Thanks for the suggestions. Will look into these. As to #5, I did see the Buschur is about 136miles one way. Not terribly bad considering it will I-80 pretty much the whole way.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 01:43 PM
Account Disabled

130 miles!?!? thats NOTHING.. go do it
Old Jul 10, 2009, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Definately hit that avenue up too. Either that or download the software yourself and tinker with a tune yourself. There's a nice writeup on here about EcuFlash and EvoScan and how to use them. Once you figure it out, it's not all that hard to tune yourself.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

I would add an O2 dump tube to the list. See if you can find an Evo Power Mods dump used, since they currently stopped making them for a while. To give you an idea, with my current mods, I am making
369 whp 378 wtq.

My mods are:

1) Hallman Pro MBC
2) Megan TBE
3) Injen intake & IC pipe kit
4) EPM O2 dump
5) Walbro
6) Tune on 93 octane @ 27 psi

Some people will hate on the Megan TBE and Injen kit, but they seem to be doing the job fine (at a pretty good price too). Also, the tune is going to make all of the difference in how your car performs. Find a reputable tuner through recommendations on EvoM. And seeing that you are extremely close to Buschur, you can't go wrong with him. Hope this was helpful.

Last edited by JBud72; Jul 10, 2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Moved to newbie forum.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

4. see #2

Please God don't waste your money on Injen crap. It's also not a CAI... don't know where you got that from.

My first round of mods consisted of the following:
TurboXS TBE
Walbro 255
Buschur air filter
Hallman Pro
Tune

... and netted me 336awhp/322awtq at 23psi. Total cost was $1000.

For the mods you're looking at buying, here's what I would suggest:

- Whatever TBE floats your boat. Pick one based on your sound and look preference. As long as it's a true 3" design from front to back power made between different exhausts will be negligible. The only other 'major' differences will be price and weight.

- Buschur Racing MAF pipe and filter (or similar.. definitely will need a tune to correct the MAF signal... you can research this yourself)

- Buschur Racing piping (or similar... match the intake to the piping though so you don't run into fitment issues... also, for short route upper piping you need a mini battery kit... if you want to stick with the stock battery, I suggest the ETS upper pipe that's made for it)

- Hallman Pro MBC. Cheap and reliable. Been using them since 2004.

- For gauges, I use the Defi BF series. I don't know how I lived without them. Expensive, but so worth it IMO.

- Walbro 255. Just get it... cheap insurance.

- Mellon tune (www.mellontuning.com). Chris is the ****ing man.

What's not on your list...

WIDEBAND O2. GET ONE. I suggest the Innovate LC-1. Check out www.tunertools.com for all your tuning parts needs.

Last edited by bboypuertoroc; Jul 10, 2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Injen crap? Do explain.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Injen crap? Do explain.
The lower pipe isn't even an upgrade.

The setup looks like trash.

No t-bolt clamps=worthless.