Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Learning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learning

I'm really trying to learn a lot about cars especially my evo. What are the best places or books to learn about history, wrench work, modding, and every other thing about the car? what are the most helpful threads on evoM.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

for history there a two books that explain that just search on amazon, for wrench work just look at how tos on here and also there is a website called howstuffworks that has alot of great information on engines and turbos in general. i like to look around the forums and see what is happening to other peoples evos and how they are solving the problems or modding there cars to give me a general direction what to do. this place is like a giant book so just look around and im sure you will find alot of info, just dont forget not everything is correct on here since some is opion based or just false info so you have to be careful.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:16 AM

The possibility of false info was my major concern with concentrating my research online. While I trust 90% of the people on this site I know there are those who will post false info intentionally and those who are unexperienced like I am but still post like they are experts.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
for modding advice and information check out the thread on my signature...in fact reading through the majority of stickies will be beneficial to you
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
for modding advice and information check out the thread on my signature...in fact reading through the majority of stickies will be beneficial to you
I read this one and it is absolutely great! Hopefully the other stickies are just as informative. Thank you EvoM!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

What has worked the best for me (to learn more about the Evo):

* find some small mods that are tough to mess up, and do them yourself. Replacing the intake and bov (even if you just undo it all to go back to stock), installing a mechanical boost gauge, are good lessons as to how things work.

* read up a lot on this site in the Troubleshooting/Problems forum. See what people are having issues with and see what others are telling them it could be.

* find some local Evo guys to hang out with. There's a 90% chance they tinker on their cars all the time so just go watch them do things.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

this whole site is a giant learning book
Old Jul 27, 2009, 05:01 PM

i didnt really know to much about the evo, but just reading the stickies and scanning the forums for hours on end i think ive learned a bit. also look up how a turbo car works in general might help u.my .02
Old Jul 27, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out my website, link is in my sig, lots of great information
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:45 PM

I spent many hours on the stickies on this site too, can't say enough good stuff about this site. I found I think it was 2 of the history books on amazon and also motorbooks.com which I think they now have a book on the development of the 4G63 engine, performance and upgrade type info. There are 2 popular history books, I have the one with the blue evo on the cover, that's a good one but doesn't really cover maintenance. I think the reviews about the book with the yellow evo on it wasn't so favorable in regards to the history end of it, but it appears to have maintenance info going off the summary. There are also lots of dvd's like "the evo strikes back" and a few others by "best motoring". Search that and you'll get results.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:43 PM

Spend all your time reading car mags, forums and working on cars and pretty soon you'll possess a decent knowledge...

Just do like others said and find some simple mods and perform them. Slowly work yourself up to bigger things like a turbo swap.

If you have any friends who like cars, I bet they could help you learn quickly.