Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

How much millage till I change the oil?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2009, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys thanks alot for the info and quick replies. I'll change the oil ASAP!
Old Aug 5, 2009, 05:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Q
Hello guys,

I know this question seems kind of stupid, but I just bought my evo about a month ago. The previous owner told me I should change the oil at 12k miles because it should be every 3k miles. I said no problem. The thing is he was using mobil 1 with the gold cap which says its good every 15K miles, the car has 12,500 miles right now... Is the previous owner a bit overprotective or should I change it every 3k miles even though it says on the bottle its ok every 15k? Please let me know! Thanks in advance.

Also if it makes any difference, the car has TBE, DP, Intake and tune. Last time at the Dyno it was putting 360whp.
mileage until you change oil, depends on the oil and also how you drive the car, fuel type and power level
Old Aug 5, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

check your oil to see how dark the oil is!!
Old Aug 5, 2009, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

darkness depends on oil some have more detergent then others.like castrol gets dirty quick.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

do it every 3K
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:48 PM

If basically stock or only with bolt ons, AMSOIL products are good to 5000 miles which will actually start to pay back the added cost..

Everything depends...

The statement about Castrol turning black because it has more detergent.. Not correct..

Oil can turn black for various reasons including moisture, fuel dilution and nitration of the oil for some.

LG
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:52 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're a baller and have some free time, you can change your oil at 2k! I do my oil changes at 2k. It's unnesessary, but **** it. I like my oil clean and i drive my car DAILY! It's only garaged at night and sometimes in the morning and that's it. But yeah i do mine at 2k and i use Eneos oil. WEEE!

Just don't change your oil at 5k, i mean you CAN and when your turbo goes out and what not, blame yourself, hahaha! : X
Old Aug 12, 2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Domolution
If you're a baller and have some free time, you can change your oil at 2k! I do my oil changes at 2k. It's unnesessary, but **** it. I like my oil clean and i drive my car DAILY! It's only garaged at night and sometimes in the morning and that's it. But yeah i do mine at 2k and i use Eneos oil. WEEE!

Just don't change your oil at 5k, i mean you CAN and when your turbo goes out and what not, blame yourself, hahaha! : X
You are right to change the ENEOS oil at 2000... There have been threads in the past here where people start to get lifter rattle at 2000-2500 using it...

It is just like oil additives... If you think you need an additive, you just need a better oil...

There are people doing oil analysis and AMSOIL Products are coming back where they are good at 10,000 miles..

Without analysis on a DD.. 5000 and that is overkill..

Science Trumps thought..

LG
Old Aug 13, 2009, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Domolution
i mean you CAN and when your turbo
So many nice turbos out there to upgrade to. Sounds like a BONUS to me.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by digger70chall
you will probably get a bunch of different opinions and a lot of it probably has to do with how you treat your car. I don't race mine around (86K still on stock clutch). I do mine between 4000-5000 miles, I start to feel uncomfortable as I approach 5k but I've gone a little longer at one time or another.

3000 always seemed conservative to me and probably a carryover from the old days of conventional oil/engines

Right there with you, i do 95% highway miles, if i change my oill every 3000 miles i would have to do it once a month. so now i it every month and a half i would say 5000 miles is a happy medium
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

every three thousand miles!
Old Aug 13, 2009, 03:32 PM

IF the car is a DD and IF you are using Synthetic Oil which is Recommended by Mits. Chances are you can go that 5000 miles which IS the Longest Recommended interval by Mits..

Running even an air filter like a K&N may necessitate the more frequent change interval..

If you are racking up the miles, I would suggest switching to AMSOIL SSO and the AMSOIL Filter, EAO-46 and order an analysis kit, KIT-02.

Pull a sample at 5000 and see what the condition of the oil is and what the wear metals are.. go from there..

I know of X's going 5000 before the Fuel Dilution starts to get to the oil but I know of some 8's and 9's hitting over 10,000

The cost of a couple Analysis kits to build a base line change and then every couple changes after that is cheap insurance..

I do them on my Motorcycle every change interval.. I have been able to double the OEM Change interval through analysis..

The Mits... well, it's just a DD.. The bike is my Baby

LG
Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:03 PM

I just let my Mx-5 go for 12,000 miles between oil changes.

Why? Because it's a lease and I don't give a fffffffuuuuuuu*****

NOT going to do the same to my Evo though... I hear every 3k is a good idea, but you can survive up to 5k.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by ScottMac53
I just let my Mx-5 go for 12,000 miles between oil changes.

Why? Because it's a lease and I don't give a fffffffuuuuuuu*****

NOT going to do the same to my Evo though... I hear every 3k is a good idea, but you can survive up to 5k.
And if the engine blows on the MX and it is found to be neglect, the warranty will not cover it.. Warranties cover Materials and Workmanship.. They Do Not cover wear, abuse or neglect..

That is just food for thought...

Even my Lease vehicles were maintained properly including break bleeding and flushing along with AMSOIL in the engines, trannies and diffs .. The extended maintenance intervals and better fuel mileage paid for it, along with no worries.

Over 98% of driving is considered severe service so it is a 3000 change on the EVO.. unless you use oil analysis to verify.

LG
Old Aug 14, 2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Liquid Gold
And if the engine blows on the MX and it is found to be neglect, the warranty will not cover it.. Warranties cover Materials and Workmanship.. They Do Not cover wear, abuse or neglect..

That is just food for thought...

Even my Lease vehicles were maintained properly including break bleeding and flushing along with AMSOIL in the engines, trannies and diffs .. The extended maintenance intervals and better fuel mileage paid for it, along with no worries.

Over 98% of driving is considered severe service so it is a 3000 change on the EVO.. unless you use oil analysis to verify.

LG
When I got the oil changed, I asked if the oil was low or if there was any abnormalities (like effects of not changing the oil for 12,000 miles), and they said it was in good shape.

I know people who don't change their oil for 10,000 miles, but they don't own performance cars. The Mx-5 really isn't that high performance, so I wasn't worried about it.

Quick Reply: How much millage till I change the oil?