Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo IX MR vs Evo X MR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cralaguena
this is a MR post, budddy
tough guy talking about an MR like it's something special
Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He probably doesn't know that MR comes with SST transmission.

I would go with X GSR.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Kreeker
tough guy talking about an MR like it's something special
sure is mang!

5000 more dollars

3000 more headaches!

Makes it special to me.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

if you want a storm trooper and an auto (ZzZzZ) get the X. i'd take the evo ix just because it looks good as it sits.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:17 AM

From Wikipedia on Mitsubishi Evolution IX...

"The USDM Lancer Evolution IX models (standard; Grand Sport Rally "GSR" in some markets), RS (Rally Sport), SE (Special Edition, and MR (Mitsubishi Racing) varied slightly in their performance capabilities. Subtleties unique to each model accounted for variations in acceleration, handling and top speed. The RS excluded features standard on the standard, SE and MR models (stereo system, power windows and locks, rear wiper, rear wing, trunk lining and sound insulation). The result is a weight savings of over 60 lb (27 kg) Although the RS is the lightest of the group, the MR still managed to outperform the standard IX and the RS around a road course (even if only by fractions of a second) due to its better suspension setup, lighter wheels, and 6speed transmission being slightly better for road course use. In a drag race, the three models are all about even."

Thoughts?
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

If you want a fast raw car with rally roots from the start buy the IX. If you want an overpriced, overweight "comfortable car" then buy the X. I am very much biased since I drive a IX and refuse to even sit in a 4b11t powered X! 4g63t FTW!
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hansolo

"The USDM Lancer Evolution IX models (standard; Grand Sport Rally "GSR" in some markets), RS (Rally Sport), SE (Special Edition, and MR (Mitsubishi Racing) varied slightly in their performance capabilities. Subtleties unique to each model accounted for variations in acceleration, handling and top speed. The RS excluded features standard on the standard, SE and MR models (stereo system, power windows and locks, rear wiper, rear wing, trunk lining and sound insulation). The result is a weight savings of over 60 lb (27 kg) Although the RS is the lightest of the group, the MR still managed to outperform the standard IX and the RS around a road course (even if only by fractions of a second) due to its better suspension setup, lighter wheels, and 6speed transmission being slightly better for road course use. In a drag race, the three models are all about even."

Thoughts?
sounds about right. in the car and driver tests the MR was the fastest. in best motoring's tests, the MR 6speed models were always faster than the 5speed models, and they cornered better. the 8 and IX MR models actually did live up to the Mitsubishi Racing badge. especially the MR RS models.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvosnatcH
If you want an overpriced, overweight "comfortable car" then buy the X.
i've seen a lot of evo x's priced very closely to evo ix mr's. i wouldn't say evo x's are overpriced, but if you were to buy a used evo ix mr...you definately could expect paying above kbb.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 07:32 PM

Yeah, i plan to keep it stock. im goin with the ix mr. im not feelin the sst transmission.

Last edited by cralaguena; Aug 17, 2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
performance stock for stock, go for the IX MR. the X has more potential though, and it'll be more comfortable.
More Potential??? Tell me how??? The 4g63 has a hell of alot more aftermarket and tuner support.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by hansolo

Thoughts?
Obviously someone who didn't pay attention to detail added that to wikipedia. As far as I know, the only back-to-back-to-back track comparison between a standard Evo and the RS and MR was by Motor Trend, and it was with the Evo VIII. (If there is another comparison out there, feel free to correct me, but I'd at least like to see a link to the article.) But considering the fact that a lot of the MR's goodies made their way into the SE (aluminum roof and BBS wheels) that may very well account for a portion of why the MR was quicker around the track, the difference might be evened out.

Originally Posted by EriCS
More Potential??? Tell me how??? The 4g63 has a hell of alot more aftermarket and tuner support.
Despite the larger aftermarket support for the 4G63, the 4B11 was shown to have incredible gains just from flashes alone, and even more so with additional bolt-ons.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EriCS
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Despite the larger aftermarket support for the 4G63, the 4B11 was shown to have incredible gains just from flashes alone, and even more so with additional bolt-ons.
^this, but more importantly, in terms of handling performance the IX is outgunned when going up against the X. get your head out of the drag strip. when i talk about performance potential and speed, i'm talking in terms of what the car was MEANT TO DO. if you want to talk only about big HP numbers and 1320 potential, go join LS1tech.com. no matter what you do to the IX, it will never have the handling potential of the X. mod for mod the X is faster. this is why i want a X MR so bad. after driving one and feeling the improvements, and AYC, i want one. if you've ever seen one move around an autoX course, you'd know they are beastly.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
^this, but more importantly, in terms of handling performance the IX is outgunned when going up against the X. get your head out of the drag strip. when i talk about performance potential and speed, i'm talking in terms of what the car was MEANT TO DO. if you want to talk only about big HP numbers and 1320 potential, go join LS1tech.com. no matter what you do to the IX, it will never have the handling potential of the X. mod for mod the X is faster. this is why i want a X MR so bad. after driving one and feeling the improvements, and AYC, i want one. if you've ever seen one move around an autoX course, you'd know they are beastly.
I've owned two Evo IXs and had a chance to wring out an Evo X on a VERY entertaining test drive with a sales person who I was well acquainted with. The X may have greater handling potential, but I still think the IX is more fun to drive. You can say that I'm biased, but I was fully prepared to trade up for a X, but it just wasn't justified. The X might grip like the IX couldn't, but its feel is different, plus the S-AYC is said to cause rear tires to get used up much more quickly. Yes, the S-AYC adds some super glue grip, but I'm perfectly fine without it.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvosnatcH
If you want a fast raw car with rally roots from the start buy the IX. If you want an overpriced, overweight "comfortable car" then buy the X. I am very much biased since I drive a IX and refuse to even sit in a 4b11t powered X! 4g63t FTW!
Your an idiot. enough said...
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
I've owned two Evo IXs and had a chance to wring out an Evo X on a VERY entertaining test drive with a sales person who I was well acquainted with. The X may have greater handling potential, but I still think the IX is more fun to drive. You can say that I'm biased, but I was fully prepared to trade up for a X, but it just wasn't justified. The X might grip like the IX couldn't, but its feel is different, plus the S-AYC is said to cause rear tires to get used up much more quickly. Yes, the S-AYC adds some super glue grip, but I'm perfectly fine without it.

to each his own, but i'm all about speed. "feel" to me is irrelevant. at the end of the day, i want the one with the best lap times.

Quick Reply: Evo IX MR vs Evo X MR