Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo IX MR vs Evo X MR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
to each his own, but i'm all about speed. "feel" to me is irrelevant. at the end of the day, i want the one with the best lap times.
Unless you compete for money, then the best lap times are irrelevant. That is, unless a plastic trophy means the world to you. Just because one car might lap a track more quickly in one driver's hands doesn't mean that it is going to be that way for every other driver out there. The GT-R is proof of such a statement, as in Nissan's test drivers can get it around the ring in below 7:30 but most other professional drivers (like Porsche's Walter Rohl and a few others) will manage something in the 7:50 range, despite it being a relatively simple car to drive, given its ease of use credited to its forgiving AWD system and driver-friendly dual-clutch gearbox. However, the "feel" of a car might be more consistent from driver to driver, which is why so many people love a car like the Miata, despite how much slower it might be than so many other cars that circle around the same track. A local buddy of mine who owns an R32 GT-R (and has driven a 2009 GT-R) still says he can't toss it around like he could toss his old Miata.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that post was irrelevant. i'm not comparing times on one car and two drivers. bottom line is, given the same driver, the EVO X will be faster than the EVO IX.

as for the competing for money thing, that's just stupid. whether competing for money, a trophy, or just pride, any true competitor wants to win. there doesn't even have to be a prize for me to compete. i just like competition. to come in here and make broad and general statements about not only cars, but human competitive drive, and behavior is just stupid. you're implying that you know the reasoning behind why everybody on earth does everything they do when it comes to competition. you're also implying that you know a lot more than you do about cars and race driving with the comments about the GTR.

just drop it. competitive people like myself want to be the best at whatever we do. doesn't matter if it's only marginally better, it's still better and that's all that counts. if lap times are irrelevent unless money is involved then please explain how the SCCA exists? have you ever been to an autocross? lapping day? time attack? time trial? rallycross? road rally? none of those are for money but everyone entered in the event is worried about lap times.

just STFU and stop acting like a noob. you joined in 2003. you should know better by now.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 03:25 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, you are one butt hurt sally. I didn't know that it was illegal to have a different opinion.

And yes I have driven competitively, so you can kick back with your statements about being competitive. Do I aim to be faster? Absolutely, there's no getting around that. But I don't mind having a car that is a bit more involving to drive that might be literally a tick or two slower through the same corner, and that's how I felt between the IX and X (especially given the difference in price), because it boils down to personal preference. My goal is to have a blast driving the car. And if it's a problem, the driver can better himself, or modify the car... then boom, you're faster than you were before.

But, if your argument is that you're all about being a "competitive person like yourself" since you yourself are "all about speed," then according to your logic, maybe you should slip into a Cobalt SS instead of an Evo X MR since it did Car & Driver's lightning lap a few tenths quicker...

http://www.caranddriver.com/content/...08+Results.pdf

But then again, lap times aren't the end-all determining factors of what car you should buy, are they now?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

the "lightning lap" has been discussed and dissected to death. those idiots can't drive.

in the previous lightning lap they also managed to post higher corner ENTRY AND EXIT speeds in the FWD Supercharged Cobalt SS than an EVO IX MR, and 350Z track edition. that should never happen. i don't mag race. i've seen all of those cars run head to head in autocross and at local road courses and from that i know what they actually do out here in the real world in the hands of real drivers.

also, there you go again bringing in 2 and 3 different models when this entire discussion started about the IX and X. stick to one talking point before you just start pulling stuff out of your ***.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 03:55 AM
Evolved Member

the "lightning lap" has been discussed and dissected to death. those idiots can't drive.

in the previous lightning lap they also managed to post higher corner ENTRY AND EXIT speeds in the FWD Supercharged Cobalt SS than an EVO IX MR, and 350Z track edition. that should never happen. i don't mag race. i've seen all of those cars run head to head in autocross and at local road courses and from that i know what they actually do out here in the real world in the hands of real drivers.

also, there you go again bringing in 2 and 3 different models when this entire discussion started about the IX and X. stick to one talking point before you just start pulling stuff out of your ***.
Where did I go "again bringing in 2 and 3 different models"? You talked about how your preference of the X MR was purely because it was quicker around a track, I mention ONE car that happened to beat the X MR on the same day (not saying that they are the authority of which car is fastest, just bringing up one example since lap times was your sole argument). Take some ritalin first before you read stuff that I didn't say.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 04:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xXEvilMRxX
Your an idiot. enough said...
I am an idiot? Other than my comment about 4g63t FTW and refusing to sit in an evo X which are my personal opinions everything I said was true, so please tell me again why I am an idiot.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 01:11 PM

You guys really go at each other huh?

I am learning from the debate though.

I am almost sold on getting an 06' MR. Just gotta find one that's cherry with low miles (for a good price)... still searching...
Old Aug 19, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hansolo
You guys really go at each other huh?

I am learning from the debate though.

I am almost sold on getting an 06' MR. Just gotta find one that's cherry with low miles (for a good price)... still searching...
You'll probably be searching for a while. There was a nice stock IX MR a while back around my area, but he wanted almost as much as it costed new. Honestly, they're both awesome cars. I've owned both a X and an VIII. I know you're debating between MR's, but I'd still consider a X GSR. In my opinion, building an all out drag car, I'd go with a VIII or IX 5 speed. If building a street or auto-x car, I'd go with a X 5 speed. I like the X better for a daily driven, light mods (<350whp) car.

Another thing to consider is a new car vs. a used car. I don't like buying used cars, let alone used performance cars. There's always exceptions, but usually finding one of those is nearly as costly as purchasing a new one.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Thegame
You'll probably be searching for a while. There was a nice stock IX MR a while back around my area, but he wanted almost as much as it costed new. Honestly, they're both awesome cars. I've owned both a X and an VIII. I know you're debating between MR's, but I'd still consider a X GSR. In my opinion, building an all out drag car, I'd go with a VIII or IX 5 speed. If building a street or auto-x car, I'd go with a X 5 speed. I like the X better for a daily driven, light mods (<350whp) car.

Another thing to consider is a new car vs. a used car. I don't like buying used cars, let alone used performance cars. There's always exceptions, but usually finding one of those is nearly as costly as purchasing a new one.
Believe me... if I find a nearly perfect, low mileage 06' GSR in a color I like, I will be all over it and not looking back.

The reason an X is out of the question for me is the extra $$ I would be spending for a newer car (budget) and I gotta' admit I like the looks of the IX better.

True... it can be VERY difficult to find a used performance car that has been taken care of. I do have an advantage in finding one simply because of where I live. Here in the heart of the SF Bay Area you see nice cars all over the place and I regularly see quite a few used Evo's up for sale on Craig's List (especially since times have been hard).
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

^this, but more importantly, in terms of handling performance the IX is outgunned when going up against the X. get your head out of the drag strip. when i talk about performance potential and speed, i'm talking in terms of what the car was MEANT TO DO. if you want to talk only about big HP numbers and 1320 potential, go join LS1tech.com. no matter what you do to the IX, it will never have the handling potential of the X. mod for mod the X is faster. this is why i want a X MR so bad. after driving one and feeling the improvements, and AYC, i want one. if you've ever seen one move around an autoX course, you'd know they are beastly.
Okay so now your being biased on HANDLING potential to where yes the x seems to be the better. So your telling me mod for mod the x is going to be quicker around what TRACK mod for mod? Well okay at minor mods maybe so but not to the far end of modding. Too many variables where which one would be quicker in my opinion. Look at the forums and tell me which one has more potential mod for mod. Not putting down any evo but I personally feel mod for mod the ix's are better for performance.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:47 PM

Ix..........
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EriCS
Okay so now your being biased on HANDLING potential to where yes the x seems to be the better. So your telling me mod for mod the x is going to be quicker around what TRACK mod for mod? Well okay at minor mods maybe so but not to the far end of modding. Too many variables where which one would be quicker in my opinion. Look at the forums and tell me which one has more potential mod for mod. Not putting down any evo but I personally feel mod for mod the ix's are better for performance.
you can "feel" whatever you want. fact is, if you start with a better base, you end with a better product. the USDM X will outperform the USDM IX the same way a JDM IX has more potential than a USDM IX. the only handicap the X has on the IX is the weight. you eliminate that by shedding weight, or adding a bit more power and the X has the IX beat. Even bone stock and underpowered the USDM X is faster than the USDM IX, so if it's faster bone stock, why wouldn't it be faster mod for mod? that's just common sense. the USDM X is a better performance platform than the USDM IX, period.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

wouldnt the sst transmission be a handicap once you reach a certain torque level as well?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 03:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by edogg23
wouldnt the sst transmission be a handicap once you reach a certain torque level as well?
yup, but according to some people, so is the 6speed manual. upgrades are available for both though, so that's a wash. when working properly though, the SST is faster and better than a traditional gated manual transmission. lord knows i want one after driving one lol either that or a GT-R
Old Aug 21, 2009, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

you can "feel" whatever you want. fact is, if you start with a better base, you end with a better product. the USDM X will outperform the USDM IX the same way a JDM IX has more potential than a USDM IX. the only handicap the X has on the IX is the weight. you eliminate that by shedding weight, or adding a bit more power and the X has the IX beat. Even bone stock and underpowered the USDM X is faster than the USDM IX, so if it's faster bone stock, why wouldn't it be faster mod for mod? that's just common sense. the USDM X is a better performance platform than the USDM IX, period.
Faster where dude! At some tight track? So ur telling me that that if you lightened up the x its going to faster right? Okay, so lighten up the ix as much as the you lightened up the X, hold on, add similiar modification to a substantial extent and your gonna have an overall faster x evo? No way! If not so prove me wrong. Oh, the 4g63 which means the "engine" is a better platform! Why? LOOK at the forums your on. You asked why bone stock if the x is faster than the ix mod for mod; why it wouldn't it still be faster? Answer: there 2 different engines. Common sense! The 4g63 yes has been around a lot longer I will give you that, so the time has been invested into revamping these power plants but its still improving! The 4b11has a LONG way to go! Look put it this way, the 4b11 chassis and ayc is superior no doubt. The 4g63 is making headway more than any other evo power plant at the moment. In my opinion you can always improve suspension and chassis compenents to improve handling BUT with a angine there is limitations.

Quick Reply: Evo IX MR vs Evo X MR