Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Looking for opinions on clutch

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for opinions on clutch

My clutch is slipping in my 03 Evo and I've been looking all over for different clutches trying to figure out a good one I've decided to go with an ACT but not sure if I should get the ACT - Advanced Clutch Technologies MB7-HDG6 - ACT Clutch Kit; Heavy Duty Pressure Plate; 6 Pad Spring Race Disc; Incl. Release Bearing; Pilot Bearing; Alignment Tool; OR the MB7-HDSS, or MB7-XTSS.
My car is just about stock I have a Catback exhaust and that's it, also with the clutch I'm gonna get the ACT Prolite flywheel with it to.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 09:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by InfernoVIII
My clutch is slipping in my 03 Evo and I've been looking all over for different clutches trying to figure out a good one I've decided to go with an ACT but not sure if I should get the ACT - Advanced Clutch Technologies MB7-HDG6 - ACT Clutch Kit; Heavy Duty Pressure Plate; 6 Pad Spring Race Disc; Incl. Release Bearing; Pilot Bearing; Alignment Tool; OR the MB7-HDSS, or MB7-XTSS.
My car is just about stock I have a Catback exhaust and that's it, also with the clutch I'm gonna get the ACT Prolite flywheel with it to.
You will get a long life out of the act! Plus you do not have to worry about it slipping on any hard launches! Because the act will take a beaten! Pm me for best pricing on evom!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 09:39 AM
Former Sponsor

get the MB7-HDG6 will work good for you
Old Aug 12, 2009, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the replies I actually have an appt. with TTP out of Orlando there gonna set me up with ACT clutch kit and streetlite flywheel for about 1,300 bucks, mitsubishi wanted 2k for stock setup and install
Old Aug 13, 2009, 08:04 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies I actually have an appt. with TTP out of Orlando there gonna set me up with ACT clutch kit and streetlite flywheel for about 1,300 bucks, mitsubishi wanted 2k for stock setup and install
We'll see you shortly. Everything is in STOCK!
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:58 AM

ACT has done well for me!
Old Aug 16, 2009, 01:17 AM

I putting Exedy Twin HD next week into my IX
Old Aug 16, 2009, 01:23 AM

If you looking for more power making in the future,

I would say Exedy Twin if you got the money.

or look into Clutch Master 4 puck, drove an EVO with it, nice clutch feel like stock almost, fast engagement.

prices for all ACT single plate clutches and flywheel are close to almost 1k or more for few hundreds more get an Exedy Twin for the future. BTW it also comes with flywheel.

Exedy Twin also has rebuild kit if it ever goes out or upgrade kit if you ever make more power.

ACT is overall good street clutch and daily driven clutch. Just many said the high RPM lockout when you make certain amount of WPH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc_m5sGgfq8

But now its all depend what your goals are.

Last edited by artevo9; Aug 16, 2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

^ WPH lol.

TTP did my clutch/tune i got their 6 puck HD-TTP. grabs great, went to the track did get locked out of third a few times, but i was wearing combat boots...forgot to change into my regular shox before i left lol. you should get tuned by them while your down there.

Scott owes me a ride in the beast BTW lol
Old Aug 16, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id stick with the mits. bearing though. other than that, the act has done me great untill just recently i exceded the tq and 1st wont hold with a new disk. but street driving and track driving at the price you cant really beat act.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 07:49 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mitsuevo803
^ WPH lol.

TTP did my clutch/tune i got their 6 puck HD-TTP. grabs great, went to the track did get locked out of third a few times, but i was wearing combat boots...forgot to change into my regular shox before i left lol. you should get tuned by them while your down there.

Happy to hear the clutch is working out for you...
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by mitsuevo803
^ WPH lol.

Opps!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 04:11 AM
Evolving Member

Since were on the subject of Clutches. I have a 2005 evo 8 and I installed a Act Streetlite clutch/flywheel. I have a few questions. Is the stock throw out bearing okay to use with the Act cluch? After installing and breaking in the clutch, I went to the track and at the end of the day, I heard a loud whinding sound coming out of 1st gear. This only happens when the rpm drops. I ended up doing a tear down again and damaged the throw out bearing and the clips that hold it to the clutch. I called ACT and they dont sell it seperatly. I ended up using a new stock one that I had lying around. I thought it would be okay, but sometimes I hear a weird sound when taking off. After all this the whinding noise is still there. Since Iam having Shepard Trans rebuild my trans and Iam reaching the 450-500hp mark, which clutch should I go with?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:43 PM

TTP did my clutch on Monday other than having to get used to driving my car again lol, it's holding nicely, quick engagement. I have to say I'm happy with it, once Luis finally was able to get working on the the car it only took about 4 hours, after a few hick ups lol like no lug key, overall though I would highly recommend TTP Engineering
Old Aug 20, 2009, 09:07 PM
Account Disabled

TTP did my clutch on Monday other than having to get used to driving my car again lol, it's holding nicely, quick engagement. I have to say I'm happy with it, once Luis finally was able to get working on the the car it only took about 4 hours, after a few hick ups lol like no lug key, overall though I would highly recommend TTP Engineering
Thank you for the opportunity to work on your Evo.

We thank you for your positive review and look forward to continuing to work with you in the future.

TTP

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on clutch